Food preparation and organising

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love some feedback from other members on how they manage to organise their day/week in respect to making sure they always have something on hand to eat. This last week I struggled to find something to eat even though I had a fridge full of food.
If you guys prep ahead, what sort of food do you preprep. This morning I thought I would have a cook up and did some pork sausages and have drumsticks in the pan at the moment. Have made up a big bowl of coleslaw......
Help would be appreciated.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment I'm doing the diet doctor keto challenge - I make a six egg frittata with a few chopped peppers, mushrooms, spring onion and a sprinkling of cheese - last me 3 breakfasts- either zap it in the microwave or eat cold. I do cook once a day - 2 portions of whatever dish - one for dinner and use the second for lunch next day

I have a menu for the week so I know exactly what to buy and what I'm eating. I sometimes don't eat it all so freeze it for times when I haven't got time or the rare occasion I haven't got the inclination to cook.

Always have some boiled eggs, baby bel cheese, olives in the fridge

If you haven't seen the diet doctor website have a look at it- lots of nice recipes and ideas most of which can be batch cooked. Haven't got the link but just google Diet Doctor and you'll find it easily :)

Reactions: Sparkle1953

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hav a fridge full of oomi noodles at the moment.

Tease into a bowl. Sprinkle with chilli, garlic powder, drizzle with soy and sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and nuke 90 seconds.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment I'm doing the diet doctor keto challenge - I make a six egg frittata with a few chopped peppers, mushrooms, spring onion and a sprinkling of cheese - last me 3 breakfasts- either zap it in the microwave or eat cold. I do cook once a day - 2 portions of whatever dish - one for dinner and use the second for lunch next day

I have a menu for the week so I know exactly what to buy and what I'm eating. I sometimes don't eat it all so freeze it for times when I haven't got time or the rare occasion I haven't got the inclination to cook.

Always have some boiled eggs, baby bel cheese, olives in the fridge

If you haven't seen the diet doctor website have a look at it- lots of nice recipes and ideas most of which can be batch cooked. Haven't got the link but just google Diet Doctor and you'll find it easily :)

Have printed out some of the recipes from here and have started a lchf/ keto book that I can keep handy.
Normally I am organised and have been doing this for just a short time.....since late December. For some reason this last week....lost the plot and couldn’t organise myself. Felt like I was out of step with the world ( if you know what I mean).

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hav a fridge full of oomi noodles at the moment.

Tease into a bowl. Sprinkle with chilli, garlic powder, drizzle with soy and sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and nuke 90 seconds.

What are oomi noodles ?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
not the worlds best cook, or most committed to the kitchen, but i do ok.

by prep, i've taken that as being 'snacks'..aka something to eat to keep hunger at bay, until you do cook your main meal.

for that i have
*greek yoghurt, a pot or lidl do 4 individual pots..(i like that)
* blueberries usually, sometimes rasp/black/straw berries.
* avocado
NUTS
*brazil nuts, pecan nuts, almonds, and
*seeds of some sort..(pound store do trail packs of different types)
once i open i place separately into plastic tupperware type things in fridge door.

all g = carbs per 100g
other have suggested , which i now also use
*biltong (Carbs: 5.5g x100g .25g pack enough )
.never considered it, it's now a staple in our fridge..when missus isn't nicking it.
*pepperami...similar can be bought, but peperami come in individual strips,
great for a snack or to throw in and add to a packed lunch.
cold meats..
*chicken, ham, bacon joint..cooked by me or shop bought
all co exist and are usually gone by the use by date
( much less waste in our fridge since i changed diet)
*peanut butter..whole earth (7.4g)
*celery, great for fibre and suits creamy cheese and peanut butter, i've since discovered. (yum)
*boiled eggs..great, nice and simple
* ryvita..i no longer do bread :bigtears:..but ryvita provides the comfort blanket i sometimes need
i find i can tolerate it quite well..(red quinoa 1 slice 5.3g)
* olives.
* tomatoes
*cheeses (cream & hard)
*coleslaw
*salad/lettuce

i find milk (full fat ) helps when i'm hungry and want wait to eat

plus anything you can cook and keep in fridge for a day or so as you have done tonight.

most of my meals i cook that evening, as i never know what i fancy, and all the above can pad out
any bit of meat etc i do bring home.

Like @lovinglife ..i cook the one main meal, but divide that into two, one half tonight the other is tomorrow's lunch/dinner..
left overs are great too...if i cook swede and broccoli/cabbage/spinach, i fry the leftovers up next day and have with bacon, eggs, steak, etc..a meal in minutes.

**apologies if you meant recipes of thing to cook and keep for later eating

Last edited:

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
not the worlds best cook, or most committed to the kitchen, but i do ok.

by prep, i've taken that as being 'snacks'..aka something to eat to keep hunger at bay, until you do cook your main meal.

for that i have
*greek yoghurt, a pot or lidl do 4 individual pots..(i like that)
* blueberries usually, sometimes rasp/black/straw berries.
* avocado
NUTS
*brazil nuts, pecan nuts, almonds, and
*seeds of some sort..(pound store do trail packs of different types)
once i open i place separately into plastic tupperware type things in fridge door.

all g = carbs per 100g
other have suggested , which i now also use
*biltong (Carbs: 5.5g x100g .25g pack enough )
.never considered it, it's now a staple in our fridge..when missus isn't nicking it.
*pepperami...similar can be bought, but peperami come in individual strips,
great for a snack or to throw in and add to a packed lunch.
cold meats..
*chicken, ham, bacon joint..cooked by me or shop bought
all co exist and are usually gone by the use by date
( much less waste in our fridge since i changed diet)
*peanut butter..whole earth (7.4g)
*celery, great for fibre and suits creamy cheese and peanut butter, i've since discovered. (yum)
*boiled eggs..great, nice and simple
* ryvita..i no longer do bread :bigtears:..but ryvita provides the comfort blanket i sometimes need
i find i can tolerate it quite well..(red quinoa 1 slice 5.3g)
* olives.
* tomatoes
*cheeses (cream & hard)
*coleslaw
*salad/lettuce

i find milk (full fat ) helps when i'm hungry and want wait to eat

plus anything you can cook and keep in fridge for a day or so as you have done tonight.

most of my meals i cook that evening, as i never know what i fancy, and all the above can pad out
any bit of meat etc i do bring home.

Like @lovinglife ..i cook the one main meal, but divide that into two, one half tonight the other is tomorrow's lunch/dinner..
left overs are great too...if i cook swede and broccoli/cabbage/spinach, i fry the leftovers up next day and have with bacon, eggs, steak, etc..a meal in minutes.

**apologies if you meant recipes of thing to cook and keep for later eating
Perfect and Thank you. I’ll add these to my list.