Food

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, I'm a newbie with type 2 diabetes. I have been very careful with what I eat. But cannot understand what has happened today.
I had a chicken cup a soup in work, checked my BG before and it was 6.3, checked again and hour later it was 8.9.
Tea time I had spicy chicken wings and Singapore rice noodles, checked before eating 5.9, checked again and hour later 6.6.
I would have thought the Chinese meal would have raised by BG and not the chicken soup.
Has this happened with anyone else?
Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was it a packet cup a soup? If so read the ingredients.

Check 2 hours after eating.

I wish I could have noodles!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, I'm a newbie with type 2 diabetes. I have been very careful with what I eat. But cannot understand what has happened today.
I had a chicken cup a soup in work, checked my BG before and it was 6.3, checked again and hour later it was 8.9.
Tea time I had spicy chicken wings and Singapore rice noodles, checked before eating 5.9, checked again and hour later 6.6.
I would have thought the Chinese meal would have raised by BG and not the chicken soup.
Has this happened with anyone else?
Thanks
I think you need to check the nutritional formation for the soup. Did it have added sugar or high carbs?
@xfieldok

Yes check after two hours is best.

Reactions: Marcus1234

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had spicy chicken wings and Singapore rice noodles, checked before eating 5.9, checked again and hour later 6.6.
Did you check again at 2 hours? The peak bg doesn't always come conveniently at 1 hour. Especially with a meal that contains a lot of fat, which slows digestion.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing to consider is the time of day for blood sugar levels, some people myself included find that their tolerance of carbs increases as the day goes on. I eat only around 0-10g carbs at breakfast, 10-15g approx at lunch then about 20-25g for dinner, as that’s what I tolerate, I found out by testing.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing to consider is the time of day for blood sugar levels, some people myself included find that their tolerance of carbs increases as the day goes on. I eat only around 0-10g carbs at breakfast, 10-15g approx at lunch then about 20-25g for dinner, as that’s what I tolerate, I found out by testing.
I on the other hand have more of a problem with carbs in the evening. As I don't feel much like eating in the morning, this leaves me only lunch for my healthy vegetables, which is disastrous as I am often out of the house around lunch-time.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I on the other hand have more of a problem with carbs in the evening. As I don't feel much like eating in the morning, this leaves me only lunch for my healthy vegetables, which is disastrous as I am often out of the house around lunch-time.
That's very awkward then. I haven't noticed much difference with time of day.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How we all vary! And the NHS say us Type 2s don’t need to test. We’d never find these differences without testing would we?

Reactions: dbr10

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I didn't check the soup ingredients, it was in a packet though. It was over an hour when I checked, maybe an hour and half. Was puzzled that Chinese meal I'm ok, chicken soup I'm not.
Thanks

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just done another test 3 hours after eating and BG 8, so it is rising but taking a long time.

GlitterSparkles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
wha do you eat for breakfast lunch and dinner???:):):)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I just had a quick look at nutritional value for batchelors chicken cup of soup, (I appreciate that might not be the one you had) 13.5g carbs per sachet so that might have been a little bit too high for you, especially if at that time of day your body is less tolerant to carbs.
I find that my body is more tolerant as the day goes on, however, that’s not a given, I just take each day at a time, occasionally I get a higher rise than anticipated with a “safe” meal, there are so many things to consider that can have an effect on our readings.
Test often and try foods several times, sometimes it may be the portion size that needs reducing.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wha do you eat for breakfast lunch and dinner???:):):)
I’m Type 2 and eat low carb so my menu may not be appropriate for you with type 1, but a typical day, is low carb ‘porridge’ for breakfast, it’s not real porridge, no cereal in it. Then I might have some chicken, ham or cheese with salad followed by Greek yoghurt and berries for lunch. Then meat or fish with veggies for dinner, no potato, rice or pasta though with some more berries with Oppo low carb ice cream for pud.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one that doesn't tolerate carbs in the mornings. I have a few at lunch time, and most of them for tea.

Reactions: Rachox

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Marcus1234 all ready meal type stuff should be avoided if possible. Any food that is processed is packed full of sugars.

Could you make homemade soup and take a portion to work and heat it up. Or get one of those thermos type containers.

It really is a minefield out there and it does take time to drop old habits and get your head around a new way of living.