For any who still think LCHF is a fad ...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What's the welsh equivalent of a cornish pasty?

Around the midlands it was bread.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember the pints of orange juice delivered by the milk man,

I remember back in the 1940s when we were given concentrated orange juice in brown glass bottles. I used to go with my mother to collect them - we used to have to queue in a large room above the local cinema. Probably one of my very early memories!

Robbity

alliebee

They used to test for diabetes or "the sugar sickness" as it was called back then by visiting drs who used to taste the urine. I kid you not :(

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In Wales some miners walked 2 hours to get to the coalmine to then go and do a full shift with another 2 hour walk home!! I think of these people and their conditions and lives every time I light the woodburner. Having found a disused mine when living there (that even the local old welsh miners never knew about) and where it was situated... It must have been a **** hard life...

I should have asked the older miners I knew there what their diet was, didn't think about it at the time.

@donnellysdogs

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/forum/read.php?10,9122

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
They used to test for diabetes or "the sugar sickness" as it was called back then by visiting drs who used to taste the urine. I kid you not :(

Yuk!!:yuck: I assumed they just used Ants or other insects to see if they wanted to drink the golden nectar sample.

alliebee

The treatment used to be virtual starvation of the patient esp bread. So I guess low carb has been around since 1700's

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sanguine thank you for posting the diabetic cookbook. I have just read it from cover to cover and found it absolutely fascinating. How amazing that 100 years ago they were counting carbs. Brilliant post!!!:)

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That too. So sad to think not very far back in history. It was a terminal disease

It was more type 1, type 2 wasn't particularly recognised as such, you just got the complications, and went on from there.

alliebee

Yes that's right. I have an old nursing textbook from my training and it was a sad state of affairs for type 1

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@sanguine thank you for posting the diabetic cookbook. I have just read it from cover to cover and found it absolutely fascinating. How amazing that 100 years ago they were counting carbs. Brilliant post!!!:)

For history coming back around, leeches are back in the treatment room, making a comeback from medieval times.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did they test for diabetes in 1797?

Again according to wikipedia (and also briefly mentioned in our main Dabetes UK site):
Diabetes was one of the first diseases described, with an Egyptian manuscript from c. 1500 BCE mentioning "too great emptying of the urine". The first described cases are believed to be of type 1 diabetes. Indian physicians around the same time identified the disease and classified it as madhumeha or "honey urine", noting the urine would attract ants. The term "diabetes" or "to pass through" was first used in 230 BCE by the Greek Appollonius of Memphis.
Type 1 and type 2 diabetes were identified as separate conditions for the first time by the Indian physicians Sushruta and Charaka in 400-500 CE with type 1 associated with youth and type 2 with being overweight. The term "mellitus" or "from honey" was added by the Briton John Rolle in the late 1700s to separate the condition from diabetes insipidus, which is also associated with frequent urination.

(Rolle was also the man who used the low carb diet treatment. in the 1790s.)

I discovered all this information after originally seeing the low carb cookbook that Rod has linked to at the start of the thread, and found it quite intriguing that diabetes was actually recognised so long ago.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Thats amazing, more so that one of the posters mentioned Betws which was 1/2 mile from where we lived. Still miss the mountains... Their food box(s) were awful!!! Bread and Jam mainly!! I would have been the guy that took salad stuff and a teatowel!!

Thank you so much. That meant a great deal to me personally. I can still picture the Betws mountains and little village area...I have a brick with me here that I dug up from the garden in Glanamman new bungalow as was then, with Ammanford Colliery on it with loads of tiny glass bottles... It was a hard working life for the miners and their families, that's for sure.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
....................no puddings ........................

@cold ethyl

Sugary wafer fingers, in sugary jelly, with strawberries in syrup from a tin, with sugary custard, then cream on top for the sunday trifle.
An assortment of steamed stodgy puddings we built the nation on, covered in home made custard, made out of pure sugar, and custard powder.
We built Britain on spotted ****, and treacle sponge. (with custard)

And if all that failed, there was always the Cling Peaches, in syrup,or the pineapple rings, in syrup, for a super sticky desert.

K

Kat100

That too. So sad to think not very far back in history. It was a terminal disease
Yes very sad ..and people died of starvation and other labels , which could be today be diabetes ....but undiagnosed ....people lived in dwellings some make shift and were staving ....quality of life was so often poor ....