Forum members talents?

S

Sable_Jan

I left school at 15 so never took any exams until I went back to studying aged around 40. For my English GSCE coursework I had to write a poem about Silence, and thought 'Yes! I'll write about Exmoor!' But it turned out to be nothing about Exmoor but about lonely old age and was so distressing I never wrote another one! The teacher used it as an example of a 'natural author', and my sister who writes songs and poetry loved it, but I couldn't believe someone so dark and sad came form me! (Got an A* for the exam though ;) )
That's a shame.... a rich talent shouldn't be hidden away

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

My "Party trick" is an impersonation of a baby crying. Apparently it's quite realistic but, hurts my throat when performing it. Not sure it's a talent though.

I was solo trumpeter (E flat cavalry trumpet) in the Scout Band several years in a row. I could also play a B flat bugle - very unforgiving instrument and a side drum.
Reading yours reminds me I can do a good enough impression of a cat meowing that it fools the dogs..... (spelling must not be my forte - I thought it was miaowing but my spell checker says otherwise) :D

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

I remember when I was about 8 the class were given two weeks to write a story (we were all given the same title and it was called "the Land of Shalaboo" ) I'm amazed I can remember that !

We were told the best 3 would be binded into books. I was in the 3. Mine was all about getting lost on this island and having to fight of crocodiles and things but I remember one part when I had my leg bitten off by something and I remember describing the blood soaking into the sand and killing the beast by ramming a tree branch down its throat !

My teacher told me it was good but a bit scary for an 8 year old !

I used to get home from school and write story's I enjoyed it so much !

Maybe you should write some stuff. I hadn't written anything for years but when I saw the poetry corner in "General Chat" it sparked something !
HORROR Channel is Freeview 70 ;)

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading yours reminds me I can do a good enough impression of a cat meowing that it fools the dogs..... (spelling must not be my forte - I thought it was miaowing but my spell checker says otherwise) :D
Yor spel cheker is corekt.:D

S

Sable_Jan

I was in the school recorder group, but couldn't read music (which was a bit of a handicap) so I used to follow the fingering of whoever I was next to. The teacher obviously sussed me out and that was the end of my musical career. :bigtears:
You showed initiative Chris..... ;)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

DITTO-DITTO-DITTO, and there's quite a few "DITTO'S" in here, Fi2000, :(

It's a proper Diabetics curse, is DITTO, whatever the nationality. :playful:

Don't know why I laugh.......it's a curse, a curse worse than any of the plagues themselves. :arghh:

willie :)
Because if we don't laugh :D we cry....... :bigtears: and laughing is more fun :playful::playful:

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

Wow Carol your drawings are amazing!!

Talents... Hmm.. I do like to climb in small spaces/boxes that people say I won't be able to get into.. Some would say talent, some would say idiot... I think it's the giant child in me!
If I tried that I'd get stuck and never get out ..... not always sure I can get up if I sit on the floor.... :rolleyes:

S

Sable_Jan

thanks :) thats them good ol' foot tapping stuff :D They are fun simple instruments anyone can teach themselves to play, i learnt the spoons off my uncle and the jews harp off my dad, we used to get them out all the time at christmas get togethers and also play them to guests in the Hotel bar we used to have in North Wales, those days have gone by now as my uncle has passed and we sold the hotel, but me and dad still play together when we meet up. i also play bodhran and guitar, gaelic and traditional celtic music is one of my first loves, its the irish and scottish blood in me. :smug:
Wow, this thread is bringing back memories - I remember my Dad showing me how to play a comb and paper - just tissue paper wrapped over it and mmmmm'ing against it with the lips... daresay I wasn't very tuneful but it was fun.....

S

Sable_Jan

I play the cornet (in a brass band)and electric organ, and I used to play the flute, but I'm not sure if I could get a tune out of one now, and when I was as school played descant and tenor recorders.
I could never breathe right for any wind instruments..... :(

S

Sable_Jan

Well here goes I used to play a trumpet at school , had to carry the thing about 3 miles with cookery basket and bag with books in ,,,,,
Couldn't really cook very well....
Needle work no good either , in fact I was not a good at school person couldn't wait to leave ...
And there was not enough breath left to blow the trumpet after the three mile walk .. Had no money for the school bus :(

Still have it today in my loft ...parents paid for a couple of years by instalments ...not enough puff to get a note now ...better give it back to them ...

So many hidden talents ...mine is a bit in the past now though ...:rolleyes:
So you couldn't cook the books or blow your own trumpet :D:D:D...sorry but that just made me laugh :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Surprised you could and breathe after a 3 mile walk

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yor spel cheker is corekt.:D
Arrh yew shore?

However:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Sew their!

Robbity

Reactions: 12 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I can play Dixie through a nose flute.:D:D
What happens when you have a really bad cold and there's a gig you just can't turn down?... could be messy me thinks.
Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 23.08.53.png

Remind me where that comes from ..... it's ringing little bells in my brain but nothing much is coming to mind.....

@Sable_Jan ties in quite nicely :D:D

Reactions: 2 people