Free Accu-Chek Aviva Nano - Comments

Shipper

A while ago I ordered a free meter from, well I can't remember where now but that is not important. It arrived in a week or so and me being me I put it in a draw.

Last Monday I ran out of strips and got the Nano out of the draw to try it. What a major shock when I un-wrapped it. Nice black meter, really cool display, sleek and very cool. Took out the huge barrel of strips, almost as big as the meter, and opened it. At this point I was met with what can only be described as the strips from giant land. What the hell, I thought. Have they mixed this up with the meter from a diabetic elephant? But no, I was wrong. These huge strips actually managed to fit in this tiny meter and worked quite well. Very little blood required and quick reading.

The pen is just as bad, the thing is bloody huge, yes it does function very well but my God. Have Accu-Chek split into business units? 1. Prickers, 2. Strips, 3. Meters with only one department getting the memo about discretion and downsizing.

I currently use the Compact with the built in barrel. Unfortunately it has the sound of a small plane starting and can be very embarrassing using it in a crowded place, meeting etc. This is why I had such high hopes when I say this meter.

Is it really that difficult to make smaller strips, a smaller pen and all in a smaller case?

Shipper

deadwood2

The case has to be big enough for the contents :wink:

Actually, I have been really impressed with it - to be honest the NHS issue one was smaller and had smaller strips, but was too fiddly to use, and as for the pricker - pygmies could use it to slay mammoths.

Get's my vote. Shame the free batteries and control solution doesn't extend to strips and sharps.

PatrickSutton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Burnt cheese, crispy bacon, avocados
I got mine a few weeks ago, and have been most impressed with how easy it and particularly the Multiclix is to use - and my doctor happily gave me a prescription for test strips and lancets (but that's probably a point for a different thread). It's just a shame there isn't space in the case for the drum of test strips.

Patrick

Shipper

I get the whole thing about some needing a bigger meter / strips. The elderly for instance. But why can they not make something discrete. If it works for you then that's great.

I carry around a smartphone that has more computing power than most desktops. I just wish the same level of technology could be applied to a meter.

Simples :wink:

deadwood2 said:
The case has to be big enough for the contents :wink:

Actually, I have been really impressed with it - to be honest the NHS issue one was smaller and had smaller strips, but was too fiddly to use, and as for the pricker - pygmies could use it to slay mammoths.

Gets my vote. Shame the free batteries and control solution doesn't extend to strips and sharps.

Well it wouldn't would it? They have to make a profit somewhere! :lol:

Vikingepigen

Have only known the Nano and love it. Seen others with seperate lancets etc etc. Nightmare!!

And I can fit the test strips drum, meter and pen with a couple of spare lancet drums into the pouch, no problem - and take it everywhere.

Would love to have a second one so if anyone have a spare or want to get rid of their Nano, let me know, please.

Thanks
Alice

Carol11

I use a Freestyle Lite, small discreet & quiet , it has 3 sound settings(no sound, quiet peep & a bit louder). It was also free. I got mine from the rep at a JDRF seminar but I've also seen coupons for them.

Sheilaanne

Hi Alice, have sent you a pm about the Aviva Nano you would like. Please send your details to my email address and I will post out to you. Sheilaanne.

Sheilaanne

Message for Alice (Vikingepigen) Hi Alice, hope you will see this message, couldnt PM you as it is not working. My email service has gone on the blink, so I am unable to send or receive messages. Sheilaanne. :evil: :evil: :evil:

gbtyke

I do like the Nano but find the strip wastage higher than the older Advantage which allowed you longer to apply the blood and to top it up if there was insufficient. Sometimes the strips seem to fail to suck up the blood and then go into error before you can add more - but the measuring technology (looks to be multipath) is more advanced than the Advantage giving quicker readings with less blood when you can get it in there. Pouch much more flimsy than the Advantage but again it is smaller.

deadwood2

Agree about the wastage, but I'm sure that (time aside) this is a technique issue. It only requires a minute spec of blood, but this has to be delivered to the front or upper face of the strip, otherwise you could go through an armful before it is satisfied.

deadwood2 said:
Agree about the wastage, but I'm sure that (time aside) this is a technique issue. It only requires a minute spec of blood, but this has to be delivered to the front or upper face of the strip, otherwise you could go through an armful before it is satisfied.

You're actually supposed to apply the blood to the END of the strip as per the picture in the box, not to the top of the strip! :)

deadwood2

CiaraJansonFan said:
deadwood2 said:

You're actually supposed to apply the blood to the END of the strip as per the picture in the box, not to the top of the strip! :)

Granted, but if which bit of the end? If you lie the nano on it's back and put a strip in, the receptive material is to the top/ front. If you introduce blood from below, it won't be absorbed to the same extent. Wrong technique = wastage.

deadwood2 said:
CiaraJansonFan said:
deadwood2 said:

Granted, but if which bit of the end? If you lie the nano on it's back and put a strip in, the receptive material is to the top/ front. If you introduce blood from below, it won't be absorbed to the same extent. Wrong technique = wastage.

I wasn't talking about applying below the strip - just going off the piece of paper included in each box of test strips which specifically indicates NOT applying blood to the TOP of the strip...

gbtyke

The capilliary action doesn't seem to work as well on the Nano as it did on the Advantage - and if it doesn't get it right straight away it goes into error whereas with the Advantage you could add more.