1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Free flu jab offered to record numbers this year

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by DCUK NewsBot, Oct 16, 2019.

1. VMK

VMK · Well-Known Member

Huh! Didn’t know this till I got the letter today. I went and paid for the jab at Boots last week !

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Well I think it odd that many of us here question the medical consensus on T2 diabetes and adopt a completely "anti the norm" way of eating to bring it under control but then blindly continue with statins and flu jabs.
    But that's just cynical old me.. you do you and i'll leave my jab in the needle.
    I feel I am the healthiest I have ever been and rarely even get a cold so....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I do not get my yearly fluvax shot for being a T2 diabetic, but for having a COPD.

The same with the Rosuvastatin I take it was prescribed by my cardioligist when I was had cardiac problems nearly six years ago. I still do not get any of these aches, pains or whatever ills I am supposed to get by taking them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bulkbiker

Superb .. providing it is a decision that you have made yourself with some input from your doctor..
    Many however simply do as they are told.. a position I now fear has created a lot of problems for the general population.. possibly more than it has cured.... just ask a GP when they last de-prescribed medication for someone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

My GP and I had a chat about me stopping Metformin, this was agreed to, but I had to wean myself off over a six month period.

6. bulkbiker

Any reason given why?

7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

No reason really, but had two more hba1c test that were holding steady on 34 mmol/mol so that's when I stopped.

8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

If get the flu jab. Had it last week. Never have any effects from the actual jab.
    Probably been having them yearly for the last 20/30 years.? Had nasty bouts of flu prior, but It hasn't stopped me from contracting the odd bout.. Just helps speed up recovery.?

Could be just coincidence, since I stopped working with kids or members of the general public. I've not had that many issues with flu..

Work atendence may also be improved regarding those with a stronger immune system? Wheather helped by a vaccine or not..

9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I dont have the flu jab as, each time I used to have it, I got a massive ME reaction and could hardly move for days, so I dont have it anymore. My body is weird.

10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Since using a Libre. Feels like wearing a Libre for a sort while on the "spot."

Suppose we all react to it indeviduualy.. We make an informed choice "to jab or not to jab." From past experience.

11. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I only started getting flu jab after diagnosis but I don’t think I will this year being a bit lazy... I seem to have very good and strong immune system (causing type 1 diabetes maybe?) I never get bad cold or I don’t think I ever had a flu even though I use commuting train with lots of people coughing .....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook