Freestyle Libre 2 - constant false signal loss alarms

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice, I’ve just done exactly that closed the app, restarted the android Samsung phone and vuala !!
No annoying loud bleeps. XX
Same issue here. I hope you have solved the signal loss issue, but I have gone through the same procedure many times, and the problem always goes away for 1-8 hours, and then returns as bad as before. You can trust neither the Libre2 alarms nor the utterly incompetent and dishonest technical support from Abbott.

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
Tried removing the Samsung S21 Android phone from its case, and the LibreLink app still has the alarm condition "Alarms are unavailable. Scan Sensor". Nothing so far has resolved this fatal error, not even the string of lies and nonsense that came from Abbot's technical support agents.

Also tried clearing cache in the LibreLink app, and that made no difference.

The device is garbage, and the company is contemptible, and possibly criminal to knowingly sell a defective medical product on which lives could depend.
I agree with you Ive had the same phone and lb2 sensors for a few years and never had a problem, now 3 sensors in a row have done it. I am wondering if the constant android updates have something to do with it

DiabeticDean

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My health
I agree with you Ive had the same phone and lb2 sensors for a few years and never had a problem, now 3 sensors in a row have done it. I am wondering if the constant android updates have something to do with it? I dont have coverage so I have to buy them and they keep rasing the price for a lesser product

blu69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been dealing with inane Libre II sensor issues for a few years now. Latest has been, "Signal Loss Alarm", and prompt to scan the sensor non-sense. Scanning the sensor stops the alarms for about five to ten minutes, and then the pest returns. It had been occurring intermittently for about three months. Nothing seemed to mitigate the recurrence. Then a week back Android pushed out a security update, followed by a new OS release. The Libre II phone app had a melt down. Last night the &#*! phone was alerting me every 15 minutes with a signal loss alarm.

After reading this thread, I tried shutting the phone down and restarting. No joy. The "Signal Loss Alarms" kept coming. Reread the messages here and noted it was necessary to close out the app before restarting. So closed the app and restarted. Again, no joy. The alarms resumed and the Red Bang (red colored exclamation point nest to the three horizontal bars in the upper left of the app screen display) remained. Then suddenly, the Red Bang vanished and thus far (two hours later) I have not been plagued with the recurring "Signal Loss Alarm". Yippee, Ki Yay!

I am not sure if anything I did made the Bang go away. Interestingly, it did vanish about five minutes after the last app shut down and rebooting the phone.

Phone is Pixel 6 - Android version 13
do you think it could be related to Android 13 update? I noticed that problem worsened after OS update.

dk79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issue but have solved it (so far for almost 2 days!).
In the Libre app settings on your phone I deselected 'remove permissions if app is unused', then restarted the phone and rescanned the sensor. Mine's a Samsung android phone. I also removed some old Bluetooth pairings to free up some space, if that's even a thing.
Good luck...

dk79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same issue but have solved it (so far for almost 2 days!).
In the Libre app settings on your phone I deselected 'remove permissions if app is unused', then restarted the phone and rescanned the sensor. Mine's a Samsung android phone. I also removed some old Bluetooth pairings to free up some space, if that's even a thing.
Good luck...
Scratch that..2 days later I'm back to square one

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've turned the out-of-range alarm (or whatever it's called) off. My phone can be in my pocket and it'll lose the connection :/ In fact, my phone is on the desk next to me (40 cm away) right now and it reckons it's lost connection. Maybe I have too many bluetooth devices in my room

Phone: Samsung, OS version 12. LibreLink version 2.8.2.9318

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s something to do with the app. Just used a L3 for 4 weeks straight with zero problems. Back to L2 and get the scan in 10 mins signal. Never had this problem til fairly recently. Fortunately it was just the once so far and am now 24 hours in.

SteveGlover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Samsung A12 had been working perfectly until Saturday when I did the update to Android 13. Now I get constant signal loss alarms and the high and low alarms no longer work.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
evening ALL
i am glad i have seen these WRITE UPS only us a READER
but have been tempted to give a phone app a try still one thing i while say i like the alarms high one has been keeping me under 20 as i did often go up to 23/24/ ish
and when in hospital it was great help
so i think i will stay with a READER ..
Also i will have to download an APP for my next new pump poss YPSOME
regards vic

Moltol

Unfortunately, you are not alone in having problems with lost signal alarms.
With other applications, I have become aware that more people experience Bluetooth problems with Samsung than any other manufacturer of phones. I understand this is not much help to you as few of us can afford to change our phones.

It is possible to turn off the loss of signal alarm. The phone can still be used to scan the sensor and the high and low alarms can be enabled. However, if your phone does lose signal with the sensor, you have to scan the sensor and, if you don't you may not get the high and low alarms. So, I guess, it depends how important the alarms are for you.
Hi I am getting this daily on my iPhone X. I have had FL2 for about 18 months and only just started getting this fault coming through.

sandyw

I gave up using the Libre gadget two years ago, because it gave costant spurious bg readings, especially hypo alarms, which were completely wrong. It is outrageous the way this thing is still being marketed.

Katittley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Making a fuss, photographs of plates of food
The Libre 2 has transformed our lives. My husband is type 1 and had such bad hypos that we were getting the paramedics out 2-3 times a year. He has been using them for a year now and I can honestly say his life is better and also mine as I was constantly on alert, especially at night, even when things were going ok. He has been diabetic for 55 years and always aimed to keep his blood glucose low.
We turned off the alarm as better control and the ease and frequent use of the scan means he has a better idea of his b g levels at all times.
My advice - keep using it but turn off the alarm.

Reactions: HarryboBoss

CJa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get this problem to. I hold the app icon and push the "i" button on the popup. This takes you to a Setup screen and you should "Force Stop" the app. I then restart the app with the icon (not scanning) and usually it starts working again. I repeat if it doesn't.

WILLTOWNLEY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a similar problem, mine was due to the critical alarms being very loud and waking up the entire household when they went off during the night.

I have been back and forth with numerous departments at Abbott and I feel your pain. They say they are looking into the volume of the alarms but have increased them due to them being too low for some people. I have mentioned it would be better to let the user choose their personal preference rather than having a one size fits all solution.

Here is the fix for the super loud alarms. This has worked so what for me though it does mean I cannot use features such as do disturb any more.

Sadly this is for iPhone only, but I hope you have something very similar on Samsung
1) Please if the Glucose Alarms are switched on and the ranges have been set up (Open the Freestyle Librelink App -> 3 lines on the top left -> Alarms)
2) Please ensure that the mobile device is not on Silent.
3) Please disconnect all Hands-free devices
4) Please turn OFF- Do not disturb mode
5) Please turn ON- Location Permissions.
6) Please turn OFF – Optimized Battery charging
7) Please check if the sensor serial number is registered as a connected device under Bluetooth.

8) The Notification settings for the Freestyle Librelink app should be set as follows:-

Phone settings -> Notifications->Browse to Freestyle Librelink-> Please ensure that the set-up is as follows
-Lock Screen, Notification Centre, Banners – All should be ticked.
-Sounds & Badges- Enabled
- Banner Style - Persistent
-Show Previews – Always
-Notification grouping – OFF
-The ringer and alert should have some volume.

Also, be advised that the Alarm volume is normally adjusted by the volume setting under "Ringer and Alerts" in the "Sounds & Haptics" menu. However, the critical alert volume is set by the app and cannot be adjusted by the user. This volume change was made in version 2.5.3 (iOS), based on user feedback that the critical alert volume was too low.
This has now been highlighted and consideration to volume will be made during further version updates”
“Reducing ringer volume in iPhone will reduce the Freestyle Librelink alarm volume”

Should you have any questions, we are here to help. Please contact us at 0800 1701177* or by email at [link can't be posted yet]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HarryboBoss

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After having so much frustration with Libre apps, I tried JugGluco and found it allowed checking out of range every minute. This allowed a much better test. The key problem arises when the sensor is Too Close to the reader. Better or more reliable Bluetooth reception is found when the phone or reader is line of sight but further away (about 2m)

Mmaabb

abbott have admitted to me since there app update, there is a problem with alarms to phones( they said they are working on it!) But to use reader and start new sensors either that for now for reliable alarms until fix. If you have not got reader, ask and they will send.

Margie@home

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used Libre self funding for 3 years and then getting it since on the NHS for which I am so thankful. I am using a reader to scan the Libre 3 and find I often have to wait 15 mins and rescan. I. Have turned all Alarms off except the low blood sugar one as battery needs charging daily. I stop sensors falling off by putting Tegaderm film over it. Saves a lot if sore fingers and Hypo’s So many advances since I struggled 65 years ago with my first dose of Insulin. Life is GOOD now.

Reactions: miahara and plantae

Bjarne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reinstalling does not just lose your 90-day history, it also trashes your $100 sensor with whatever life it had left on it. Worst of all, it does nothing to solve the loss-of-signal and loss-of-alarm problem.
A reinstall on my phone didn´t work - and yes - I lost 90-day history :(