FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
fair enough. you no your on a low carb diet what food do u eat because my breakfast its self is 80g
Typically, Breakfast: Yoghurt and flaxseed, Lunch: Eggs and bacon, Dinner: Meat or Fish with vegetables. Snacks: nuts or cheese

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did with my first one, but not with the second one. When the first one came off, I could see that it had bled, so I'm assuming I hit a blood vessel or something. It was more discomfort than pain, and it went after about 2 days.

Hope your's eases soon.

Smidge

Thanks... day 2 in and the discomfort has gone. Thanks

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Its almost 2 weeks since i called abbott and they said they would send a replacement for anfaulty sensor, its still not arrived

How long did everyone else have to wait?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its almost 2 weeks since i called abbott and they said they would send a replacement for anfaulty sensor, its still not arrived

Mine arrived in about 2 days. Give them a call maybe

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thought I'd use the libre to try out some insulin profiling, to determine the best way to manage my basal.

Having forgotten my lantus yesterday morning, by end of day yesterday I was practically lantus free and my bg was supporting this. I had no food after 9pm, and bg was rising steadily. Decided to do all my lantus in one hit last night (35iu) and see what happened.

This is what:

15dacf65fda512a139cb565585048122.jpg

The lantus appears to have taken about three hours to become effective. There is a tiny dawn phenomenon when I got up, but the continued fasting reduction rate accelerates after I got up. This test was taken after eating, but the carb content is very low so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

On a slightly different note, I've noticed that I'm already not blood testing as regularly. While I know there have been concerns about quite how accurate the sensor is, I'm not too concerned. I guess that there's a margin of error calibrated in that tends towards low to ensure that hypos aren't a huge problem for users. Be that as it may, I'm actually reasonably comfortable with how my sensor is performing and it doesn't seem to have suffered the crazy randomness that some have.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tim, very interesting. I'm trying to get my head around this one..

I take it that you normally split your lantus, with a total dose of 35 units? As I understand it splitting evens out the lantus offseting the fact that it is not lasting the full 24 hours. So in theory you still have the effect of the 35 units in your system - perhaps not quite true especially if you use an uneven split.

If my logic is anything like right your graph seems to be dropping very quickly if there's only lantus in your system, Lantus would normally be used to keep your bg steadyish assuming no food or exercise. Presumably that's normally the case for you when you split the dose.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about this (I take my Lantus in one hit) & I look forward to being corrected!

I'm a Dexcom user, isn't it great to have this extra information.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My normal split is 20u evening, 15u morning. I used 35u last night as I knew that my 20u from the night before was all but done.

The last NovoRapid was taken at around 5pm.

As you can see, what appears to have happened is that while the Lantus starts to work relatively slowly, and then whilst asleep, maintains a steady BS drop (which I would expect to be less steep on 20u than on 35), and there is tiny Dawn blip up, once I have woken up and started moving around, it really started to accelerate. This was a bit of a surprise to me, but explains some of my previous early morning experiences. Note that I went to the gym last night between 8.30pm and 9.30pm. I will do the same tonight.

This evening I'll return to my usual split and see what happens.

Having this level of detail regarding the shape of blood sugars is brilliant and extremely helpful in making decisions about how one self treats. It feels like true enlightenment!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the visit to the gymn is significant.
I look forward to hearing how it goes tonight, though I think you need to wait another 24 hours to get back into the routine. Normally you would still have some of your morning 15units in your system, tonight you'll only have the 20units.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the visit to the gymn is significant.
I look forward to hearing how it goes tonight, though I think you need to wait another 24 hours to get back into the routine. Normally you would still have some of your morning 15units in your system, tonight you'll only have the 20units.

I think you may have misunderstood the timing. Wednesday evening I had 20u of Lantus. Thursday morning I forgot 15u of Lantus. Thursday evening I took 35u of Lantus. Typically I find Lantus doesn't last 24 hours, usually about 18-20.

Based on my experience, I would expect the gym to have an impact between 9.30pm and 1.30am. but by the time I went to the gym, my previous night's Lantus would have been well and truly gone. I don't think I get gym hangovers eight hours later, but the Libre may disprove this... I'll give it a couple of nights on a single basal shot to see how things pan out.

Reactions: 2 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Oh dear :meh: Looks like my third sensor has popped its cogs - two days to go as well :rolleyes:

H0CqM2I.jpg

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I didn't receive my replacement so gave them a call about a week after it should have come and they said they would need to check with the warehouse. 2 days later received an email and today had a text from the delivery company. I'd give them a call in case yours is pending too.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked this question earlier but it got rather lost in the avalanch of posts!

I wonder if it would be possible to have a simple device which was strapped on the arm next to the sensor (something like a watch strap) - close enough to "scan" periodically, say every 15 minutes. This could sound an alarm if bg is low or changing rapidly.

As I understand it the Libre uses NFC technology so Abbot ought to be able to do this fairly easily. They could sell it as on option.
Any thoughts from more technical people out there?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It is :( ... but looking on the bright side my estimated A1c is fantastic :woot:

WmM69E7.png

I seriously think you are going to end up being seriously hypo'd at some point if you carry on having such low readings..

These are not good levels...