1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Andy_P, May 25, 2015.

?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

1. Yes

46.4%
  2. No

53.6%
  1. PJR76

PJR76 · Member

Thanks for your reply. So far it's got to the stage where I know that it is there (whilst they say you're not supposed to notice it). I'm thinking at the moment it is largely mind over matter. I'm sometimes wanting to pat it, but for the most part I'm avoiding the scratch/itch cycle.

With regards results, the hypo and normal readings appear pretty accurate with the horizontal arrow. The hyper readings are far less accurate (with the horizontal arrow) with results consistently being 4 to 5 mmol/l out. At least for the moment they appear consistent, but this is only my 4th day of wearing it.

Philip

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nurseryboss

nurseryboss Type 1 · Member

I hope it goes well for you Phil, as it is a good device. I haven't tried it again since my adverse reactions, but now that I know that the adhesive has changed I may give it a go. Thank you for the information.

3. robcrowborough

robcrowborough Type 1 · Newbie

I used Freestyle Libre sensors for about two months in 2015 but had to give up using them because of severe skin reactions to the adhesive.
    From recent posts, I understand that, from April 2019, Abbott have been supplying sensors with a different and, hopefully a less irritating type of adhesive.
    Have any Freestyle Libre users, who experienced skin reactions to the original adhesive, tried the sensors with the re-formulated adhesive and, most importantly, have you found them to wearable and cause no or little skin reactions?

• Like Like x 1
  4. scassidy

scassidy · Newbie

I have similair reactions to the libre and upset that i should no longer use it due to this as it has given me much better reuslts and control. I have tried compeed, cavilon, superprep rapid dry (skin barrier) before applying the sensor and none have made a difference. Freestle deny any reports of adverse reactions which according to this site is rubbish. They refused to replace my libre as i had to take it off becuase of the intense itching. I have now filled in the linked post to report this. I only hope they make relevant changes. Best of luck everyone

Attached Files:

5. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I havnt had any skin reaction.... yet .. but am having issues with accuracy.
    Just scanned and it showed 3.7
    Did pin prick test and it said 5.4

Really fustrating

Noticed its often a whole number out.
    Is rhis the norm with everyone else???

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is quite common. With mines, I found that the difference was generally quite consistent so it was easy enough to just add 1.5 or whatever to get a truer idea.

I'd encourage you to get the MiaoMiao transmitter and run it to xDrip+ if on android.

You can feed bg readings into the app to tell it what bg actually is. It really tightens up accuracy - over the last few days, my current sensor is only about 0.2 to 0.4 out.

Plus you get hypo alerts!

https://miaomiao.cool/

https://jamorham.github.io/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Member

I have had reactions once or twice, I find you have to make sure you use the swap supplied and always wait for the spirit to dry be for attaching the senser

8. Organist 2

Organist 2 Type 1 · Member

9. Organist 2

I don't know if the adhesive has yet been improved or not. But, my wife marks the position of the sensor in the applicator, removes the sensor, removes its adhesive disc and cleans sensor surface with lens cleaner, then replaces the sensor in the applicator She then proceeds as follows. She puts a piece of Opsite or Tegaderm adhesive film on her arm. Puts two bits of stationer's double-sided sticky tape across the Opsite with a small gap between them. Applies the sensor over the gap (for the needle to pass through just the Opsite) and removes applicator carefully to leave the sensor stuck to the Opsite via the sticky tape. She finishes off with two strips of Opsite over the sensor leaving a gap for the vent hole in the sensor. My wife has to do this on every sensor to avoid contact dermatitis and it works perfectly. She did a skin test on Opsite and Tegaderm first to make sure she wouldn't react. The sensor adhesive comes off quite easily with tweezers. Tried everything else and nothing prevents her contact dermatitis but this. This is not a recommendation, it is just to say what works for her.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. KPbrooks

KPbrooks · Newbie

Hello! Did the Cavilon application help prevent the rash?

11. Organist 2

No, not at all. Had to remove the adhesive disc from the sensor and apply using Opsite film as a barrier and double-sided sticky tape.

12. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh no. Not yet. But I've only had one for 3 days. :(

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook