Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

• Total voters

PJR76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people, smoking and drugs.
Thanks for your reply. So far it's got to the stage where I know that it is there (whilst they say you're not supposed to notice it). I'm thinking at the moment it is largely mind over matter. I'm sometimes wanting to pat it, but for the most part I'm avoiding the scratch/itch cycle.

With regards results, the hypo and normal readings appear pretty accurate with the horizontal arrow. The hyper readings are far less accurate (with the horizontal arrow) with results consistently being 4 to 5 mmol/l out. At least for the moment they appear consistent, but this is only my 4th day of wearing it.

Philip

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone, my name is Phil. I've had type 1 diabetes for about 27 years. Only just discovered this forum and found this interesting post about the adhesive and consequential reactions to it when using the Freestyle Libre.

The date is now Saturday, 18 May 2019 and according to various articles the adhesive recipe has been changed since April. I'm not sure exactly when my particular sensor was manufactured, so I could be on the older adhesive.

I put my first sensor on 4 days ago and on the initial application which took place in the hospital (I applied it myself), it was pretty uneventful; just a slight momentary sting similar to a manual finger prick test.

The data so far is proving invaluable as I am learning a lot about how my body is reacting to food and the insulin I take.

Bolus: Humalog (2.25u:10g and 2.5u:10g ratios)
Basal: Tresiba (28 units)
Correction sensitively: 1u Bolus = approx 1 mmol/l to 1.2 mmol/l.

After 4 days of my first sensor I'm starting to notice possible signs of irritation in the form of an itch; the type you would want to scratch similar to a eczema or psoriasis itch.

So I'm suspecting the answer is going to be yes, will obviously have to monitor the itchiness and see if it worsens.

If it does worsen, do people generally advise taking it off? I'm currently trying it out on a programme organised through the NHS in the London Borough of Harrow.

Look forward to hearing from people.

Phil
I hope it goes well for you Phil, as it is a good device. I haven't tried it again since my adverse reactions, but now that I know that the adhesive has changed I may give it a go. Thank you for the information.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used Freestyle Libre sensors for about two months in 2015 but had to give up using them because of severe skin reactions to the adhesive.
From recent posts, I understand that, from April 2019, Abbott have been supplying sensors with a different and, hopefully a less irritating type of adhesive.
Have any Freestyle Libre users, who experienced skin reactions to the original adhesive, tried the sensors with the re-formulated adhesive and, most importantly, have you found them to wearable and cause no or little skin reactions?

Reactions: EllieM

scassidy

I have similair reactions to the libre and upset that i should no longer use it due to this as it has given me much better reuslts and control. I have tried compeed, cavilon, superprep rapid dry (skin barrier) before applying the sensor and none have made a difference. Freestle deny any reports of adverse reactions which according to this site is rubbish. They refused to replace my libre as i had to take it off becuase of the intense itching. I have now filled in the linked post to report this. I only hope they make relevant changes. Best of luck everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20190412_082431570.jpg
    IMG_20190412_082431570.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 420

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I havnt had any skin reaction.... yet .. but am having issues with accuracy.
Just scanned and it showed 3.7
Did pin prick test and it said 5.4

Really fustrating

Noticed its often a whole number out.
Is rhis the norm with everyone else???

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is rhis the norm with everyone else???

This is quite common. With mines, I found that the difference was generally quite consistent so it was easy enough to just add 1.5 or whatever to get a truer idea.

I'd encourage you to get the MiaoMiao transmitter and run it to xDrip+ if on android.

You can feed bg readings into the app to tell it what bg actually is. It really tightens up accuracy - over the last few days, my current sensor is only about 0.2 to 0.4 out.

Plus you get hypo alerts!

https://miaomiao.cool/

https://jamorham.github.io/

Reactions: EllieM

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had reactions once or twice, I find you have to make sure you use the swap supplied and always wait for the spirit to dry be for attaching the senser

Organist 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if the adhesive has yet been improved or not. But, my wife marks the position of the sensor in the applicator, removes the sensor, removes its adhesive disc and cleans sensor surface with lens cleaner, then replaces the sensor in the applicator She then proceeds as follows. She puts a piece of Opsite or Tegaderm adhesive film on her arm. Puts two bits of stationer's double-sided sticky tape across the Opsite with a small gap between them. Applies the sensor over the gap (for the needle to pass through just the Opsite) and removes applicator carefully to leave the sensor stuck to the Opsite via the sticky tape. She finishes off with two strips of Opsite over the sensor leaving a gap for the vent hole in the sensor. My wife has to do this on every sensor to avoid contact dermatitis and it works perfectly. She did a skin test on Opsite and Tegaderm first to make sure she wouldn't react. The sensor adhesive comes off quite easily with tweezers. Tried everything else and nothing prevents her contact dermatitis but this. This is not a recommendation, it is just to say what works for her.

KPbrooks

Yes, I've had a reaction with sensors. First 2 were fine but last 2 left sore raised blistered looking skin. Now on sensor number 5. This time I sprayed Cavilon skin preparation on before applying sensor. So far so good but will post again when I get to the end of this sensor's life.
Hello! Did the Cavilon application help prevent the rash?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.
Oh no. Not yet. But I've only had one for 3 days. :(

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve not had a skin reaction, but I might be completely allergic to it.

Gary Reeves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All ... When I first started using the Libre it went badly ... blistered skin and a sensor barely lasting 4 days and then suddenly it stopped. Everything was working so well ... and now for the last 2 months its back to sore weeping skin and sensors dropping off ...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I started using the Libre 2 about 6 weeks ago with no skin problems at all yet I am allergic to plasters and Tegaderm dressings.

Hatfield

I never had any skin issues with the Libre when I used it. Using a dexcom now, and it’s usually fine but does very occasionally leave raw marks similar to a burn.

ChrisInOz

I have been using Libre 1 sensors and went through 22 of them all fine. I decided I should upgrade to Libre 2.

My first Libre 2 started itching after about 2 hours of application and I put up with it for the life of the sensor. It was covered with a patch to keep it from coming off. I removed the patch this morning and my skin came off with the sensor. If you have ever seen a "Cookie cutter shark bite" - It looks like that....

It *COULD* be coincidental that NONE of the Libre 1's caused any sort of reaction and it was just coincidental that the first Libre 2 caused such profound irritation, but Occams suggests otherwise.

I'm going to try another Libre 2 on my other arm and, if I get the same outcome, I will try to revert to Libre 1's - JUST IN CASE there is a formula/application/packaging/storage/whatever change that is causing this.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had reactions with type 1 in the early days, which I reported through the yellow card scheme. Started spraying Cavilon underneath as recommended by my DN and that did the trick. They did however change the glue as far as I am aware. Would have thought that the mix would be the same on 2. Try the Cavilon trick.