Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha!
Remember i said i would eat some carbs?
Well today was the perfect opportunity (trapped in a meeting til ravenous, then inhaling nearest food). It was a burger and chips, so plenty of grease to slow things down. Normally, i would have removed the bun and only had half the chips. But for you, my friends, this time i forced it all down :rolleyes:

I am guessing 80g carbs, but that is approx.

See the double hump starting at midday?
It is actually a single hump, broken by an energetic half hour dog walk that has taken a clearcut bite out of the mountain (i saw my bg was hitting 10 and still rising, and decided to act!

Also, see the RH drop at the hump end? That was me heading an RH hypo off with a slice of salmon mouse. Stopped it dead. Phew!

Lesson for the day:
Exercise works, but doesn't prevent an RH drop.
And I am now being eaten alive by Carb Cravings.

Still want to check out those mince pies though... ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow! @Brunneria, I could write forever on what is going on there!
The graph is what I used to be like, hyper within an hour followed by a 'late' hypo.
I think, it doesn't matter what you do exercise wise, it doesn't do much, as when I ate porridge and hypoed after walked to docs. Walking doesn't even slow it down by much. I think you would have gone into the teens if you hadn't gone for a walk.
If that was a non RH diabetic, (is that right?) Would spike twice on the graph without the walk nevertheless.. The steady drop to hypo is shown on the graph like a straight line, it doesn't waver, just steadily dropping until after you ate!
Hope you are ok!
Just take it easy!
You need to be in control for the mince pie challenge!

There is a lot more that you glean from the graph.

Can you show your next two hour readings unless you are filling your face again!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, i have just eaten a portion of home made potato free moussaka, in an attempt to kill the cravings (not working yet, lol).

I suspect, going by previous graphs, it will be very jangly for the rest of the day, regardless of the very low carb evening meal. Will post a pic later tonight.

At this rate I may have to pull out the Big Gun - Low Carb Hot Choc - I have never known a carb craving survive that! :D

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here you go @nosher8355
This is what has happened during the rest of the evening, following a very low carb evening meal.

:hungover:
Totally disproportionate bg rise (heaven knows where the glucose came from!)
And i'm feeling pretty cr*p.
Simply not used to this roller coaster any more.
Gonna have a doozy of a carb hangover in the morning.
OK, will stop whinging now, and go and find some protein to catch me on the drop...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What did you have to eat and drink?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home made moussaka (mince, onion, tomato, aubergine, courgette, cream cheese, cheddar).

Consider it a vlc meal. Eat it regularly. Always rise less than 2 with it. Portions are standard because i freeze and serve it in a specific bowl.
Tonight it sent me up about 6 mmol/l.
Drank water all evening.
Thought it would be jangly, but i didn't expect the degree of spike.

Ah well, this is what the Libre is for - so i can learn these things. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are a few carbs, but nothing to trigger that surge, that high!
Can't see it! Unless it's a reaction to the low you had before,
Don't think you'll be ok for a couple of days,

I think, and this is speculation, that the spike is more dumping, because of other hormones released by just eating.

Scratching my head, really!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope you get a good night!
Are you tracking overnight?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks noshy.
Was fine all night.
The usual mini liver dump at 2am, but then a slightly flatter line than usual, after. Maybe my beta cells are in shock after yesterday's unusual events. Will give them a rest today by staying under 10g carbs all day. Always seems to help.

:)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for doing this. Forcing yourself to eat mince pies, burgers and chips in the cause of science reveals courage above the norm. I salute you, slightly enviously. I want one and, more important, Mrs DeeJay says it sounds like a good idea.
It's too late for a note to Father Xmas but the birthday fairy will be along in a few weeks ....

Reactions: 8 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Purely being nosey on my part, but after your 2am event do you also get DP just after you get up?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Purely being nosey on my part, but after your 2am event do you also get DP just after you get up?

:D

The whole thing about DP has always puzzled me. I always have raised bg after waking and getting up, and I have always said 'its DP!'

But one of the reasons I got the Libre was to find out what was actually happening...

And, if DP is a gentle rise in bg starting around 4am, and revving up the body for the day ahead, then I don't really have much of it. Last week, on those graphs I posted, most of the 4am rises are due to rushing a dog out to the garden because he had a squitty tum.

What I do seem to have is a low at around 2-2.30am (which isn't really a low!) but on most days it seems to start a jiggly liver dump then dip cycle for the rest of the night. And then from the point of wake up, to the point of the first sip of creamy coffee, my body just dumps glucose. On the graph it is showing up as an approx45% incline. So I assume that is stress hormones and getting up activity, but I don't think it really counts as a liver dump.

I was also fondly imagining that my bg coasted gently along for most of the night in the 5s. Totally wrong there. It hops up into the 6s quite a lot of the time. Very annoying.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for doing this. Forcing yourself to eat mince pies, burgers and chips in the cause of science reveals courage above the norm. I salute you, slightly enviously. I want one and, more important, Mrs DeeJay says it sounds like a good idea.
It's too late for a note to Father Xmas but the birthday fairy will be along in a few weeks ....

A pleasure, my dear chap. ;)
Worth remembering that there is a waiting list for the Libre.
My wait was 6 months.
So if you go to the Libre website and register for the waiting list, you may get the gadget by your birthday. Maybe.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's weird to think our bodies do this kind of thing presumably without anything happening to cause it. I wonder how your 2am events tie in with your sleep patterns. I read somewhere that we sleep in 90 minute cycles.

I'd love to know what goes on while I'm sleeping so I think I'm going to register for one.

I never know what to do to prevent DP. This morning my fbg was 4.7 and an hour later was 6.8 - and I hadn't had anything to eat or drink in that hour.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks noshy.
Was fine all night.
The usual mini liver dump at 2am, but then a slightly flatter line than usual, after. Maybe my beta cells are in shock after yesterday's unusual events. Will give them a rest today by staying under 10g carbs all day. Always seems to help.

:)

Sometimes, I feel really rough after one of my weird dreams. Also I have a headache till I have a drink of water, like I've been snoring a lot!

Of course, my mid sleep toilet trip, often waking from a vivid lucid dream. Would spike me a little, I think!
Do you think that dreaming could actually give you this mild ripple in your readings!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Brunneria, it might be worth getting a Jawbone Up or Fitbit and overlaying the sleep graph with the Libre graph to see what happens...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria, it might be worth getting a Jawbone Up or Fitbit and overlaying the sleep graph with the Libre graph to see what happens...

I've got a sleep app thing on my phone, where you can have it on the mattress beside your pillow, and it analyses movement...

Brilliant idea.

Thank you!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes, I feel really rough after one of my weird dreams. Also I have a headache till I have a drink of water, like I've been snoring a lot!

Of course, my mid sleep toilet trip, often waking from a vivid lucid dream. Would spike me a little, I think!
Do you think that dreaming could actually give you this mild ripple in your readings!

I like that idea, but the fact it seems to happen about 2.5 hours after I drift off to sleep it a bit suspicious.

Unless (as @Chook says) I am just hitting the same point of my sleep cycle, every night at the same time.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bloody technology!

Can't get into bed now without having some gizmo switched on!