Freestyle Libre teaching me sooo much about my T2 and RH

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Brunneria just catching up with other posts. How did the data dump go and the kit into the new year, or are you pacing its use?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Brunneria just catching up with other posts. How did the data dump go and the kit into the new year, or are you pacing its use?

:D
I data dumped, but didn't really mine it deeply.
It auto records every 15 mins, or when you scan, and I have found the graphs and onboard reports to be enough.

I ran 2 sensors with a week gap in between.
Originally was going to just run sensors a few times a year, to monitor any deterioration and carb creep (think the Libre is 10x more useful than a periodic HbA1c).

But now I am sensorless again, and back on prick-testing it is doing my head in.
Am testing far less than ever before, because every time I reach for the meter I think 'what is the point of this poxy snapshot? I am going to miss my peak, and I will miss the low point that triggers a liver dump, and...'

Very frustrating.
:)
have asked for money for my birthday, from everyone, and will channel it all into a sensor order. lol.

lindisfel

Expert
This low carbing and kit buying must be very difficult for those on low incomes.
I made some flax seed bread today and it is not cheap per slice but is a good replacement for lidl and lower carb
D

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been preoccupied with other stuff recently so haven't been able to visit the forum very much, but last time I was here I remember this thread so I thought I'd flag up my early Libre results. As a bear of very little brain I don't know what to make of it yet. The first result of 9.1 was alarming but the readings are consistently about 2mmol/L higher than my Codefree so I suppose there's a simple explanation. I'm just eating the usual fairly low carb things. I'm encouraged by the lack of spikes.*

libre.jpg

*The 10.6 was an experiment when we were invited to drinks and "nibbles" by a neighbour who knows I'm diabetic but not what I eat. So we got salmon and cream cheese :) on white bread :(, cucumber and pate :) on Ritz cheese biscuits :( and eccles cakes specially for me while the others had coconut and chocolate marshmallows. Churlish not to eat some and it won't do me much damage, if any.
I notice the readings in the last 24 hours have been coming down a bit, especially at night, although I'm not doing anything different.
I hope you're all flourishing and thank you for the journey so far.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been preoccupied with other stuff recently so haven't been able to visit the forum very much, but last time I was here I remember this thread so I thought I'd flag up my early Libre results. As a bear of very little brain I don't know what to make of it yet. The first result of 9.1 was alarming but the readings are consistently about 2mmol/L higher than my Codefree so I suppose there's a simple explanation. I'm just eating the usual fairly low carb things. I'm encouraged by the lack of spikes.*

View attachment 17534
*The 10.6 was an experiment when we were invited to drinks and "nibbles" by a neighbour who knows I'm diabetic but not what I eat. So we got salmon and cream cheese :) on white bread :(, cucumber and pate :) on Ritz cheese biscuits :( and eccles cakes specially for me while the others had coconut and chocolate marshmallows. Churlish not to eat some and it won't do me much damage, if any.
I notice the readings in the last 24 hours have been coming down a bit, especially at night, although I'm not doing anything different.
I hope you're all flourishing and thank you for the journey so far.

As a part-time Libre user/enthusiast, I try not to get too hung up on the actual numbers it returns, provided they're within the the usual meter variances with my Codefree, and pretty consistent. Of course, initially, there can appear to be anomalies, but thinking it through, some of those are due to data lag capillary blood versus interstitial fluid analysis. I try to concentrate on the trends and the graph. We could never hope for this sort of graphing from finger prick testing, unless we were finger prick testing every 15 minutes 24/7 for 14 days, which is simply never going to be happening in my life!

Of course, the sensor is sometimes way off, and clearly isn't serviceable, but my experience is the Abbott customer services have been excellent, provided I can explain my issue succinctly, with a few examples I can share with them.

On your graph, DeeJay, is your peak after the experiment illustrating the slower peaking with a fattier, if carb-ie-ish snacks?

It's tricky when folks have tried their best to suit and please us, but they're some way off our ideal dietary choice.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the Abbott customer services have been excellent, provided I can explain my issue succinctly
Might approach them in a couple of weeks then, thanks.
is your peak after the experiment illustrating the slower peaking with a fattier, if carb-ie-ish snacks?
I guess so ... that and the fact that I had a lot of shepherd's pie an hour before the snacking began.
It's tricky when folks have tried their best to suit and please us, but they're some way off our ideal dietary choice.
No way am I going to lecture a champion WI cake-baker in her 80s about the rigours of a T2 diabetes diet!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might approach them in a couple of weeks then, thanks.

I guess so ... that and the fact that I had a lot of shepherd's pie an hour before the snacking began.

No way am I going to lecture a champion WI cake-baker in her 80s about the rigours of a T2 diabetes diet!

DeeJay - Can I ask why you would be contacting them in 2 weeks? If you have a sensor running way off, or it's just all over the place, then call them sooner rather than later as I think they'd be less sympathetic if you've already "enjoyed" the full, or almost full, lifespan of the sensor.

I've never asked for a sensor to be replaced, when a sensor has been wonky, I've just called, described what's going on and they have suggested it.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of letting the first sensor run its course to see if it "settles down" or whatever. But I agree, no harm in telling Abbott sooner rather than later. I'll relay what they say.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR I have the exact opposite findings to you. I am on day 8 of my first sensor and am astounded how low my levels are compared to what I am used to seeing with my Codefree. I am trying not to look at the levels, but rather the graphs to see the peaks and troughs and am using the log to keep notes on the actual rises from start of meal to peak reading, whatever time that may be after eating. These rises do (sort of) correlate with the Codefree, although levels are considerably lower from the sensor, but I'm ignoring the levels. (Just glad I'm not relying on it for insulin doses)

Cha-Lloes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm testing this machine out in March as a trial but wow mega scared as to what my body does when I sleep. Lol. Any advice from someone who's been using the machine and what I should expect? Thanks

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mega scared as to what my body does when I sleep
Mine just has a nice rest according to my early Libre results :) but then I never go below 5 these days on my Codefree (6.8 on the Libre) and have never had a proper hypo afaik.
@Bluetit1802 From postings on other threads on the Libre it appears there are numerous anomalies. As a user of only 4 days I'm keeping my head down!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
hello all
my first download from the libre freestyle. My average is in the early sixes and from what I am seeing I can't work out what I think I have!! Am I RH or early type 2? any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• Emma Richards_2016_03_09.pdf
    388.3 KB · Views: 459

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Brun is the expert on the monitor, as I've had no experience of using one.

But, if I got those continuous results, I would be very happy.

If I'm reading it right!

I'm assuming that you are very low carbing?

The prolonged glucose test and fasting can only diagnose, what's going on with you.it does look as though your fasting blood glucose levels are in the normal range.
Are you still getting symptoms that are obviously RH?

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I'm doing well really Nosher. Tonight I had a bunless burger and salad and didn't have a spike at all. I am very low carbing and the occasional spikes are when I might fall off the waggon slightly cause we are on our holibobs :)

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Have worked out that if I walk up a very steep hill I can walk off a spike before it happens x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice going!

You predicted a1c isnt at at T2 levels - but neither is mine! Lol. That is the beauty of low carbing. :)

I take it your shadow peak was that dinner you had at over 10? The one with the honey and stuff?

Looks like you are doing great. :)

How did you find it?

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I think that is the trial wedding cake! I'm doing good I think but wish my average was a 5 not a 6. How do I see my predicted hb1ac? Thanks Brun x

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I enjoy having and it definitely taught me some foods I thought were ok definitely were not and one of the most pleasant surprises is that in an tolerate a gf ginger cookie with no spike :)))

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow nice graphs. I find it interesting that you have such high peaks. I don't get that at all but get them for longer at a lower cap; I basically flat line for a period of time. I am not sure what that means for me or you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) your predicted HbA1c is on the top right of the doc.

@Andrew Colvin those sudden peaks are the things that we normally never see, because they often happen very quickly after food. Unless ppl test every few mins for the first hour, they haven't a clue how high the carbs actually send them.

Plus, i think RHers spike harder and often higher - because it is that which triggers the over-secretion of insulin which causes the later hypo.