1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Senior_Squirrel, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Senior_Squirrel

Senior_Squirrel Type 3c · Newbie

I am new to the Freestyle Libra system and I am wondering how members are addressing the issue of delayed readings with there libra when driving. When I scan and get a reading of 4.3 should I still drive knowing that a blood test would be above 5. Some feedback and advice would be appreciated

2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it says 4.3 on the reader you need a blood test to confirm its above 5 as you believe it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On my DAFNE course, we learnt that you will need evidence you are above 5 mmol/l with a Libre scan or a finger prick up to 15 minutes before driving. It won't be enough to calibrate with an educated guess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The libre can be very inaccurate, all the time for some people, some of the time for others, and is particularly known to be dubious at hypo levels. There's also the issue of occasional dodgy sensors and the fact that newly activated sensors tend to be inaccurate for the first 24 hours.

Maybe @Senior_Squirrel has already done this, but I would strongly recommend any new user to do a large number of blood tests to compare the libre reading with the corresponding blood glucose level to work out how reliable a system it is for him/her. It works very very well for many people, until it doesn't. I don't personally think that it can ever completely replace traditional blood tests, though I believe it can come close if you are compatible to it and you add in the software to calibrate it against your own personal blood tests (which means you'll be doing calibration tests if nothing else).

Though I'm sure it must be very frustrating if you've already taken sugar to increase your levels and you know they are going up, the consequences of going hypo while driving are so catastrophic that it's probably best to have a traditional blood testing kit in the car to supplement the libre, just so that you can be sure you are safe. (Speaking from personal experience of my one driving hypo a couple of decades ago which did not but easily could have ended in disaster.)

5. Lesley4b

Lesley4b Type 1 · Newbie

I’ve been using the libre for a while now but recently have had problems
    Today I attached a new sensor and after doing the start up scan it keeps saying it’s not attached so rescan and start again
    Tbh I don’t have a clue what’s happening it’s firmly attached but this is the second sensor recently that has done this
    Can anyone suggest what I could be doing incorrectly

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook