Fruit Really Spiked My Blood Sugar

Geoffno6

This pic shows my blood sugar figures today. After 8.2 after waking up my figures have been good for me at 6s and 7s but I thought I’d see what fruit did. Yep, a big old spike to 11.5. But a 26 minute half jog half walk for 2 miles dropped it straight back to 6.8. So no fruit for me :-( and exercise really does take sugar out of your blood
IMG_6805.jpg

Reactions: Guzzler

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Exercise does indeed drop mine ... but fruits are murder so off limits

Geoffno6

Exercise does indeed drop mine ... but fruits are murder so off limits

I thought they’d spike it a bit but the 11.5 nearly 3 hours after eating them was a surprise cos I did a two mile walk after eating the fruit thinking that it would take out the blood sugar. I think maybe my plan was ok but maybe it took longer than I expected to get the sugar into my blood necessitating the 2nd walk/run.

Reactions: Keithdeeping

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I reckon that fruit comes to ten grams of carbohydrate. I do eat fruit but only about 3 or 4 strawberries, 4 or 5 raspberries or 6 - 8 blueberries depending on size. However I will always eat them with some fat, such as extra thick double cream or Greek yoghurt. Fat helps to slow absorption and lessens the spike.

Reactions: Freema

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Could have been the cherries as they are relatively high carb compared with rasps or strawberries. May be worth trying low carb berries?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It probably depends on the type of fruits and amount. It is good that it clears out quickly.

Geoffno6

This one I hadn’t mentioned from earlier this week was a shocker 13.4 4 hours after a pre meeting snacknof a couple of sausages and a grapefruit. Equally surprising though was I ran/ jogged about 200 yds before dinner at 7.30 and it dropped from 13.4 to 7.30 . I actually felt guilty and irresponsible leaving my BG up that high for so long.
IMG_6880.jpg

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frankly you may just want to consider staying off fruits for a short while to see if you can stay between 5-7 mmols.

Once you have managed to reset your glucose/insulin levels, you can consider slowing adding fruits back to your diet again.

My thoughts are simply that the nutrients from fruits are seldom able to offset the damages of the glucose spikes. But as our insulin sensitivity improves over time we can handle the spikes from fruits better.

Geoffno6

Frankly you may just want to consider staying off fruits for a short while to see if you can stay between 5-7 mmols.

Once you have managed to reset your glucose/insulin levels, you can consider slowing adding fruits back to your diet again.

My thoughts are simply that the nutrients from fruits are seldom able to offset the damages of the glucose spikes. But as our insulin sensitivity improves over time we can handle the spikes from fruits better.

Thanks @kokhongw I keep thinking that myself but my wife keeps giving me fruit goodies with breakfast and in my lunch bag and saying ‘surely a little bit won’t hurt’ I’ll have to be strong willed and resist. I’m also confident that apart from self inflicted spikes my numbers are creeping down nicely so I just need to be sensible for at least a few weeks.
I’ve just fitted my first freestyle libre sensor and am waiting the required 60 mins before the first reading so now if I get weak I should get immediate punishment by the high numbers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...but my wife keeps giving me fruit goodies with breakfast and in my lunch bag and saying ‘surely a little bit won’t hurt’.

Are you a man or a mouse? ;) If my husband offers me food I shouldn’t eat I just give him that look! :shifty: You know the one, the one that says did you really do that? And the answer to the ‘surely a little bit won’t hurt?’, well yes it may well do I’d quite like to keep my feet, eye sight and kidneys!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @kokhongw I keep thinking that myself but my wife keeps giving me fruit goodies with breakfast and in my lunch bag and saying ‘surely a little bit won’t hurt’ I’ll have to be strong willed and resist. I’m also confident that apart from self inflicted spikes my numbers are creeping down nicely so I just need to be sensible for at least a few weeks.
I’ve just fitted my first freestyle libre sensor and am waiting the required 60 mins before the first reading so now if I get weak I should get immediate punishment by the high numbers.
Does your wife realise that impotence is a diabetic complication, on top of those mentioned by Rachox? Plus frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel syndrome, gastroparesis (impaired digestion), deafness, Alzheimer's.... But if one is really lucky, one may die of heart failure or stroke before the other complications have time to become obvious, as cardio vascular disease is one of the earliest complications to manifest. Personally, I find the sacrifice of no longer eating fruit (by far my favourite food) trivial compared to the hope of avoiding these threats by keeping my bg low and level.

Geoffno6

Well I think you guys have made your point! Don’t worry, I know it’s all with positive motives, so I thank you.
IMG_6884.jpg

Here’s my evenings freestyle libre readings. With this box of tricks on my arm, if I go mousy I’ll get instant punishment. Btw, I did ignore the yummy looking little box of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in my lunch box today.
Thanks again for your tough love.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I think you guys have made your point! Don’t worry, I know it’s all with positive motives, so I thank you. View attachment 28022
Here’s my evenings freestyle libre readings. With this box of tricks on my arm, if I go mousy I’ll get instant punishment. Btw, I did ignore the yummy looking little box of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in my lunch box today.
Thanks again for your tough love.

It just so happens that blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are among the lowest sugar fruits :D

M

Moggely

Hi Geoff my husband use to say (surely a little bit won't hurt ) until one day i said" what part of diabetes do you not understand" On behalf of your wife and my husband though, they are really thinking they are helping and so on. I'm finding those with out the illness if you want to call it that, though i hate that word, just don't understand it. My husband does a lot of the cooking because he is good at it and eats the same as me. I make dessert so he won't feel deprived:singing:. Good luck. Oh and also i am with Rachox on having berries with full fat, it doesn't raise my levels at all.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It just so happens that blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are among the lowest sugar fruits :D
The blueberries are not so low as the other berries especially the domestic ones as opposed to the wild, especially I believe in America, where fruits tend to be engineered to be extra sweet. With fruit, I think it is not just the problem of spiking, but the fact that fructose goes directly to the liver and can contribute to increased insulin resistance, something none of us wants.

Reactions: kokhongw

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my husband use to say (surely a little bit won't hurt )
There does seem to be a very strong inbuilt desire in many, though not all, people to derail anyone who is trying to follow any regime to benefit their health. I have had significant others praise me for eating junk food and encourage me to skip going to the gym. Much worse, alcoholics often encounter pressure to drink alcohol, even to the point of sneaking it into their glass when they thought they were getting a soft drink. People trying to lose weight also have to fight against this kind of sabotage. IMO this is not "meaning well". Human beings have very dark aspects to our characters as well as positive ones. When we encounter this behaviour we should resist without holding back and really show the person how very badly we think they are behaving. After all, they are trying to kill or maim us! And it needs to be scotched once and for all, for the peace and happiness of all concerned.

Last edited: