Fruitd

Lim-Peh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the greatest of difficulties cutting down on fruits.
Am trying to find the least damaging fruit for type 2.
The more I read, the more confused I become.

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Lim-Peh - fruits contain fructose which is a natural sugar and can raise your bg levels, the best fruits if you were to eat any at all would be berries such as blackberries, blueberries and strawberries, otherwise it's best to avoid them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat small amounts of berries - other than blueberries which are quite a lot higher than most fruits called berries. I use thick cream with them, so as to - hopefully - reduce the impact of the fructose.

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The fructose in fruits goes straight to the liver and is stored there as fat. This is not good as many T2s have fatty liver which cannot help with insulin resistance. The big baddies for those of us with T2 are bananas and grapes. Fruit smoothies and juices should be avoided in my opinion as when they are liquidised they get to the liver even faster and the liquidising process destroys the fibre in the fruit.

It must be said that there are no vitamins or minerals in fruit that are not present in vegetables.

If you still need a peice of fruit occasionally then have it straight after a meal (preferably a low carb meal).
Berries are lowest in fructose, I will have a small amount of strawberries or raspberries with greek yoghurt or double cream as a pudding after a meal. The fats in the yoghurt/cream slow down the absorption of the fructose and having it this way does not raise my blood glucose levels. Having said that, we are all different so you must try and then test to see what suits you. Good luck.