Frustrated and upset

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So, after many months of not having a clear diagnosis, I had an appointment with my consultant today. The appointment was to get the results back from my MODY testing. Unsurprisingly the results were negative (which was suspected).

So my consultant said I have key factors for both T1 (young, healthy weight, active lifestyle) and T2 (negative antibodies) but in his opinion I am T2. Which I thought was shocking as I had prepared for a T1 diagnosis. At this stage I asked if I could reverse it.

He then proceeded to suggest that I could come off of my insulin and move to some other drugs in order to get my hba1c under 48.

Following this, He then asked to see my recent levels - which I showed him on the LibreView app. He then quickly said that actually I may never be able to come off of insulin as my levels are still too high and have large spikes (albeit much better levels than before). Which seems to be very contradicting.

He confirmed my insulin sensitivity (to what I inject) is normal - I’m not entirely sure what this means? Any ideas?

He also mentioned that my current long acting insulin (abasaglar) potentially needs to be changed to a different long acting. He said the reason is that for T1’s it doesn’t last the full 24 hours (which seems to be happening for me) and so I may need to change to another long acting which I take 2 times a day.

He then also told me that I need to go on the DAFNE course which is for T1’s to help with my basal bolus regime (again seems contradictory to what the appointment started with....).

My insulin ratios have also increased to try to avoid the large spikes I have when I eat my main meals. And that I now need to use the bolus calculator in the MySugr app - has anyone found this tool useful?

I have also been sent to have another c peptide test - which previously showed a low c peptide and high blood glucose.

He was unsure if I would be able to reverse the diabetes. And to me it seemed as though he was suggesting I wouldn’t be able to come off the insulin as I have such low pancreatic function.

He said a few years ago before tests were as advanced, I would be a T1. But for now I would not have a type and just be an insulin dependant diabetic. The focus is on getting normal levels rather than having a classification.

I just feel very confused by it all and in some ways I was hoping that my MODY tests would be positive so that I would at least have a diagnosis!

To be honest, the insulin has been working quite well and I have had minimal hypos and my levels are significantly better than before. So I am happy to continue with the insulin but I just want a clear diagnosis!

Anyway rant now over!

Any suggestions welcomed on my 2 questions above.

Have a great bank holiday weekend everyone!

Reactions: 1spuds and Evie-D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your shoes I'd be asking for a second opinion as he seems a tad confused.

M

Member496333

So you’re not [autoimmune] insulin deficient and you’re not insulin resistant??

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blimey. I am not surprised you're frustrated.

I can't help but others will be along soon.

I d know that type 2s have managed to come off insulin using diet however, it depends on so many things. I wish you well.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
In your shoes I'd be asking for a second opinion as he seems a tad confused.
I am just so confused!! I think it’s clear I don’t produce much insulin (from my c peptide test) previously when I had t done, I fasted and my blood glucose was 13.5 and my c peptide was low.

He did say I am a very unusual case - if I am T2 then I want to reverse it. If I am T1 then I know I just need to manage the condition.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just so confused!! I think it’s clear I don’t produce much insulin (from my c peptide test) previously when I had t done, I fasted and my blood glucose was 13.5 and my c peptide was low.

He did say I am a very unusual case - if I am T2 then I want to reverse it. If I am T1 then I know I just need to manage the condition.
Do you know what the actual C-Pep result was?
If you are producing little endogenous insulin then I'm guessing that you're gonna have to stay on it.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
So you’re not [autoimmune] insulin deficient and you’re not insulin resistant??
Well it seems I don’t have the T1 anti bodies, but it also seems that any insulin I do make is very little. And therefore, I don’t think I’m insulin resistant as he also said something about my insulin sensitivity is as expected.....

So confused :banghead:

M

Member496333

My best guess is that you are insulin resistant and simultaneously insulin deficient (through fatty pancreas). In theory both of these could be reversed, but that process does not involve continued long term injection of exogenous insulin. That said, of course I am very much not qualified to make a diagnosis.

I agree with @bulkbiker in that, as you are describing events, it seems like your doctor is confused or misinformed, neither of which would be much of a surprise when it comes to the business of diabetes. Second opinion recommended.

Reactions: 1spuds

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what the actual C-Pep result was?
If you are producing little endogenous insulin then I'm guessing that you're gonna have to stay on it.
I understand all labs use different measures for he c peptide test, but mine was LOW (in big capital letters) I think it was 0.4 but I cannot remember the specifics and I don’t have printout to hand. When I had that test done there were some suspicions that I may be T1 in the honeymoon (which my usual doctor thought).

I’m just feel very confused by it all.

I guess I will just have to go for another c peptide test (as the consultant requested) and see whether my results are different now.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand all labs use different measures for he c peptide test, but mine was LOW (in big capital letters) I think it was 0.4 but I cannot remember the specifics and I don’t have printout to hand. When I had that test done there were some suspicions that I may be T1 in the honeymoon (which my usual doctor thought).

I’m just feel very confused by it all.

I guess I will just have to go for another c peptide test (as the consultant requested) and see whether my results are different now.
Whilst it must be extraordinarily annoying not to have a diagnosis you might end up getting a second opinion anyway with the second test which could maybe shine some light on the situation. Always a silver lining maybe? Good luck!

Reactions: 1spuds and SB.25

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
My best guess is that you are insulin resistant and simultaneously insulin deficient (through fatty pancreas). In theory both of these could be reversed, but that process does not involve continued long term injection of exogenous insulin. That said, of course I am very much not qualified to make a diagnosis.

I agree with @bulkbiker in that, as you are describing events, it seems like your doctor is confused or misinformed, neither of which would be much of a surprise when it comes to the business of diabetes. Second opinion recommended.

My question is though, if I am insulin deficient how is it possible to make more?

I am also concerned as on my initial diagnosis I had all the T1 symptoms - including losing a stone in weight in 3 weeks...

M

Member496333

My question is though, if I am insulin deficient how is it possible to make more?

The pancreas can recover functionality as part of a dietary strategy that slowly burns away intra-organic fat. The same strategy is also effective at reducing hepatic (liver) and systemic (whole body) insulin resistance. Please note though that I’m am only explaining the theory based on best guesses. I am not making any suggestions or a diagnosis.

Reactions: SB.25

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Young, healthy weight, active, low C-pept + high bg all sounds like T1, although not proof. The only thing suggesting it might be something else is that they haven't found antibodies. Which isn't proof at all, as the right antibodies aren't always found.
I fully agree with @bulkbiker , ask for a second opinion.
And as you make very little insulin, as proven by your low C-pept with high bg, I'd expect your diabetes to behave like T1, whatever the cause.

I'm a bit of the same, although older, overweight and lazy but my HCP is happy to fully treat me as a T1, even if we're not completely sure what type I have. Suits me fine too.

I hope you'll get your answers, but I think the most important part is managing your bg, whatever is needed for that. As far as I understand, those T2's having 'reversed' their diabetes have done so through eating low carb. There's no reason to eat a lot of carbs as a T1 either (unless when having a hypo), as long as you're confident to adjust your insulin doses.
He then also told me that I need to go on the DAFNE course which is for T1’s to help with my basal bolus regime
If you learn to adjust dose to food, you can simply choose how many carbs you eat and adjust the dose.

He also mentioned that my current long acting insulin (abasaglar) potentially needs to be changed to a different long acting. He said the reason is that for T1’s it doesn’t last the full 24 hours (which seems to be happening for me) and so I may need to change to another long acting which I take 2 times a day.
Many people on abasaglar/Lantus split their doses for this reason. You could also ask about Tresiba, which works longer so once a day is enough.

Good luck and a big hug!

Reactions: porl69

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
The pancreas can recover functionality as part of a dietary strategy that slowly burns away intra-organic fat. The same strategy is also effective at reducing hepatic (liver) and systemic (whole body) insulin resistance. Please note though that I’m am only explaining the theory based on best guesses. I am not making any suggestions or a diagnosis.
Yes I appreciate that you cannot diagnose, and I really do thank you for taking the time to give some explanation :).

I have a question - when I do weight exercise my levels sky rocket (go to about 18) is this something which happens in T2’s?

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Young, healthy weight, active, low C-pept + high bg all sounds like T1, although not proof. The only thing suggesting it might be something else is that they haven't found antibodies. Which isn't proof at all, as the right antibodies aren't always found.
I fully agree with @bulkbiker , ask for a second opinion.
And as you make very little insulin, as proven by your low C-pept with high bg, I'd expect your diabetes to behave like T1, whatever the cause.

I'm a bit of the same, although older, overweight and lazy but my HCP is happy to fully treat me as a T1, even if we're not completely sure what type I have. Suits me fine too.

I hope you'll get your answers, but I think the most important part is managing your bg, whatever is needed for that. As far as I understand, those T2's having 'reversed' their diabetes have done so through eating low carb. There's no reason to eat a lot of carbs as a T1 either (unless when having a hypo), as long as you're confident to adjust your insulin doses.

If you learn to adjust dose to food, you can simply choose how many carbs you eat and adjust the dose.

Many people on abasaglar/Lantus split their doses for this reason. You could also ask about Tresiba, which works longer so once a day is enough.

Good luck and a big hug!
Thanks for the time taken to post.

Yes, to me, I feel like the only thing in favour of a T2 diagnosis is the negative antibodies..... I am unsure how a young person who has always had a healthy diet and lifestyle can suddenly get a hba1c on diagnosis of 103 and be diagnosed as T2 - but perhaps I am just in denial (especially as my c peptide shows it as being low).

The doctor has said they will treat me as T1 for now in any event.

I just feel there are a lot of mixed messages!

M

Member496333

Yeah strenuous exercise can increase blood glucose in the short term, but weight training in particular is about the very best thing anyone can do in order to increase insulin sensitivity in the longer term.

Reactions: SB.25

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @SB.25 Weight training in type 1 can cause BG levels to soar from the liver producing glucose.

I have to admit reading through your posts it looks like type 1 to me but of course i'm not a doctor and would also urge you to seek a second opinion as your consultant sounds very confused, the important point to all of this is the control of your BG levels so if by taking insulin if you can maintain a healthy range then so be it.

Reactions: 1spuds and SB.25

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SB.25 Weight training in type 1 can cause BG levels to soar from the liver producing glucose.

I have to admit reading through your posts it looks like type 1 to me but of course i'm not a doctor and would also urge you to seek a second opinion as your consultant sounds very confused, the important point to all of this is the control of your BG levels so if by taking insulin if you can maintain a healthy range then so be it.
Thanks for the response. Does weight training have the same effect in those that are T2?

I did try to explain this to the consultant but he still seemed to be of the opinion that it is T2.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @SB.25 Yes exactly the same effect, I find after strenuous exercise my levels can soar upwards, only way to reign them back in is to take a correction dose, gentle exercise doesn't have too much of an impact so a 30 min run will do very little, but then sustained exercise will lower me, gardening is my favourite hypo activity, only takes an hour..:banghead:

M

Member496333

Does weight training have the same effect in those that are T2?

It can do in the immediate term if you push too hard, but in the intermediate and longer term it greatly improves insulin sensitivity.