Frustration and Panic....

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please excuse my drama but I could just sit and greet (Scottish fer cry).
I was diagnosed T2 five years ago. I took the bull by the horns went LCHF and moved my ample backside.
I lost weight, felt soooo much better and put my T2 in remission.
It wasn’t to last... I then piled back on loads of weight, sat on my back side and let it all get out of control again.
I went to my GP in Feb feeling like , after a BG test I got a see me now call, the results weren’t good.
She suggested I take Metformin and alter my diet.
This time I couldn’t get my BG under control with diet only, so gave in and took the Metformin.
Then began the race with the devil, I couldn’t control my stomach, the diawotsit and stomach pains were awful. My GP then gave me Metformin SR, I was ok for a while then the diawotsit hit again.
Over lockdown I managed to lose around 10kg but since all the stomach issues have blown up again I’m eating a lot of rubbish.
It’s pure comfort eating I know that.
I’m fed up and ready for a right good bubble.
My GP called today to ask me to make an appointment for an ac1test , which I have tomorrow, with results and further discussion with my GP there after.
I’m dreading it, I can’t live with this constant upset tummy - I’m fed up with it, and now she wants to add in statins.
Someone please give me some hope.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had very similar reaction to Met. Found the SR bit better but still had issues. Particularly on increasing the dosage.When first got up to 4 then had to go back to 3 then 2 before building up again to 4.Probably took me 10 week to settle. I still occasionally get a day when the yellow stingers occur but it's be coming rarer.Other thing I'd suggest is 1 with breakfast one with lunch then 2 later on. I hope this helps you? As for starting the healthy eating again and renewing your fighting spirit then take these latest tests and readings and start afresh.Youve proved you can do it and however high they maybe aim to improve in the following 3 month. The nasty side effects certainly don't help your cause so tell doc or nurse as you can't operate at any decent level when like that. Truly wish you well and I'm confident you can overcome these hurdles.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like Metformin isn't going to work for you and may need to be stopped - it never has that much effect on BS anyway. Can you let us know what your typical diet is.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, BTW don't just take the statins without knowing your lipids profile and all the ratios. Statins are NOT a diabetes drug and I wish GPs understood that and became more knowledgeable about statins and both the good and the harm they bring.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not take the Metformin and a statin, almost finished me off - the good news is that I don't need to.
I eat twice a day - on lockdown I tend to eat very little first thing, then go about 12 hours before eating again. I drink a couple of mugs of coffee and that is it. Job done.
During lockdown I have been knitting and sewing, a bit of crochet, reading and studying how to read music, practising my instruments, sorting out clothes and books - just generally trying to keep busy. It is surprising how the days fly by when filled with small tasks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I then piled back on loads of weight, sat on my back side and let it all get out of control again.
You should look at why this happened and figure out how to not let it happen again?
Then jump back on to the ultra low carb bandwagon and introduce a bit of intermittent fasting.
I had similar problems with metformin so it went in the bin.

Reactions: LaoDan

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MissPooh - If you need a bit of support from medications for a while, or longer, there are many, many alternatives to Metformin.

Essentially, Metformin doesn't aggressively drive our blood sugars downwards, but it does help our bodies cope better with reducing our insulin resistance a bit.

Some have had to take baby steps to tolerating Metformin, and others have just found it intolerable.

Please have a decent discussion about it with your GP or nurse. As you know, whatever medications we T2s might or might not take, what we eat and drink is really important.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Some of us who get their T2D into remission then allow the carbs to increase until their body reacts again.
LCHF needs to be a Way Of Eating for life. Many people can testify that going back to what they ate before just invites the weight and the T2 Blood glucose levels back.
I have seen that many of Dr David Unwin's patients have had this setback, but with support and encouragement they get back to what worked for them and even improve on their previous best glucose levels and weight.

Don't be discouraged, you know what to do and you know that it works.