Gardening/ HERBS and Low carb diets.

sparkles

Hi ..
Well I know there is at least one other person on this site who enjoys gardening as I read so in a thread somewhere. So I thought I'd start one to advocate on behalf of home growns.

I want to share my experience of growing herbs as I think some of you might find it useful.

I always loved gardening but never had a garden. Sad isnt it. That is until I came to live with my partner 6 yrs ago. He had a huge garden but hates gardening. Sad isnt it... There was a herb patch totally overgrown by mint. Over the last 6 yrs Ive been trying to grow herbs often with limited success but each year i get a bit better.

I've found a method that seems to work. I used to just sow a few herb seed in a little three inch pot. It works but the yield is little. Last year I got some huge cheap plastic pots with a 2 1/2 ft diameter and grew corriander in them. What a success! I lived off homemade hummous last year and couldnt wait for my corriander to grow again this year. And i planted up the same two large pots with corriander. I literally take handfuls to put in my cooking regularly. It (corriander) takes no looking after other than regular water and sunlight. The amazing thing is it grows back after cutting --very quickly so I can use as much as I want and never be without.

This year I grew my other herbs .. basil, parsley, savoury, in little pots but Im coming to the conclusion that the way to do it -is to do like with the corriander and sprinkle a whole pack of seeds in one huge pot. (And keep the outdoor pots as near to the kitchen as possible.) Of cause some herbs like dill and fennel and lovage grow huge and are probably best grown straight in the soil.
When i look at the little pots of corriander in the supermarket at a pound or over I cant help feeling people are being robbed.

When I never had a garden (most of my life) I never experimented other than to grow a little pot on a window sill. If I were to be there again I would have hanging baskets and pots by the door and troughs on the windowsil. Fresh food is so important and there is nothing to growing herbs. There are so many herbs and they are so flavoursome and our forebearer will have used them regularly. But we get just a few in the supermarkets I want to keep learning about herbs and growing and using them and I dont have the money to keep buying those little tiny pots at big price just to improve the flavour of my meal. IIm getting a good collection now.. its taken me six years. I buy a few new packs of herb (seeds) I haven't tried each year. Some are annual like the corriander and have to be replanted each year anyway. I'm the type of gardener who often gets it wrong an I sometimes wonder why I bother. But I do learn,- slowly. And the goodness is in the fact that you know the food you produce has no harmful additives. Doing low carb this week (my first week) has really made me appreciate the flavour and variety of vegetables and Herbs and I'm increasing my resolve to keep on growing my own....

I would love to hear from any other would be gardiners out there.
SPARKLES.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am an avid gardener....I just love it...difficulties with fibromyalgia and doing so much has meant 5 BIG raised veg beds, 30 pot of peas, mangetout, and sugar snaps...I have just been given some a feverfew plant and a dill plant and I haven't got a clue how to use these!!!!

sparkles

Hi Donnellysdogs,
Lucky You!! I grew mange tout for the first time last year- they were gorgeous! Haven’t got any of the things you mention this year- YET.. I often pick things up from Band Q when they are being sold off cheaply. I was so glad to get beans from the car boot last weekend and I got those in the other day. (String and broad) I looked up Feverfew and Dill…..

FEVERFEW
I read that Feverfew was introduced to Britain a long time ago and now grows wild in the hedgerows. It’s a perennial with daisy like flowers. It grows to about 2 ft high and is self seeding. I don’t think it is a culinary herb -its uses were more medicinal ie. as in a poultice for swellings.

DILL
Mustard and dill dressing,
1tsp French mustard
1TBSP finely chopped fresh dill leaves,
5TBSP olive oil
1TBSP wine vinegar
Salt and pepper.
Put ingredients in a jar , shake well and
use to dress herrings or beetroot salad.

SPARKLES.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Excellent-for the dill---now I can use it with the beetroot that are doing so well too!!!

I only managed to find one specific sugar snap to plant this year...rest are 2 types of mangetout and peas and about 4 different type of runner beans-only trouble is, I have loads of runner beans and peas in the greenhouse already to get planted, and have run out of pots and peoples gardens to plant them in.....

This year for the first time I am also doing leeks and swede in raised beds with the parsnips. Raised beds are 2' high and last year my longest parsnip was 21"!!!!-Am trying 4 different varietys this year...all staggered sowings to see which taste the best and grow the best...

Only trouble is I have a mole (probably a family of them)!!! Who suprises me every day with which raised bed is he is going to dig up===tip for anybody building raised beds put down wire mesh underneath to stop moles-----too late for us this year-as there is no way I can persuade my husband to take out 6 tonne of topsoil!!!!!

Squirrels have also been spotted to day stripping the gooseberries from the bushes!!!

Here's to a fabulous heatwave at the end of the week the the high that is going to stay over the UK!!!!!

sparkles

Hi Donnellysdogs,
You sound like an expert. And a parsnip that’s almost 2ft? Noooo!! I grow leeks every year. My policy is this: if it grows -grow twice as much of it next year. If it doesn’t grow consider how much you want it and decide whether to try again next year. Leeks always give me a good yield and I do nothing to them but give an occasional water. I don’t have raised beds. I don’t have moles either thankfully but there is a lovely cherry tree with no cage and the birds always get to the cherries before we do.
SPARKLES

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yep, me to...birds eat the cherries.....and one of my dog who loves conference pears found out the conference pear treess and chewed them up as soon as planted- she left all the apples and other pear trees and plum tree.....pretty much plagued by animals in one way or another.

Don't know what moles eat though, so don't know if I am going to find the parsnips chewed..

Yep, I also got leeks in raised beds, and the swedes and 2 different types of carrots, and rhubarb....and lettuce...the plus side being....my lettuce have been safe from slugs!!! Perhaps moles eat slugs???

Do you transplant your leeks? I have transplanted half of them so far, but don't know whether I should just try thininng out the other leeks?
I'm hoping that the leeks will do well, as living in Wales I'm just hoping they will be as good as the parsnips last year
Sharon

sparkles

I grew my leeks in a tray and then plant them out when they start to grow. They are still tiny but Ive put a dozen or so in the ground now. I have some spares in a deep pot but I probably wont need them. my experience is that leeks are very easy they just grow. (may be I have the sort of soil they like?)
Sparkles

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mmmm, I did 1/2 a big raised bed with autumn mammoth and another 1/2 bed with musselburgh and a smaller bed earlier with a mixture-and also small pots of them as well. I have trasnplanted 40 over the last two weeks that were a good sise in the smaller bed. I planted some in pots in a friends raised bed....I now have a choice with the 2 large beds 1/2 full of leeks. Thin some out of one bed and leave them there, and dig the others up now and do a later sowing of carrots...However, carrots are least favoured in our house compared to the leeks....do you reckon if I just thin them out in the beds that they are in that they will do okay?

Have never done leeks ever....do you collar yours as well or just leave them?
Sharon

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Moles eat earthworms so they'll probably eat slugs too. Toads eat slugs. So do hedgehogs.

My garden isn't really big enough for lots of veg, but I'm growing lettuce, radishes and tomatoes outside in big pots, and I'll be getting a courgette plant and some runner beans in the coming week.

Otherwise I'm just trying to be bee- and butterfly-friendly, and get rid of the (unprintable) celandines. My winter-flowering cherry, and my rowan, moved here with me last March (2010) and have settled in very nicely.

Sadly my fig tree, olive tree, bay tree and camellia, all in pots, have not survived the winter!

I once grew a lovely little nectarine in a big pot, and it fruited - 3 fruits! I watched them carefuly, waiting until they were ripe before picking them . . . little did I know that Josie Wolfhound was watching them too, and she got the lot one morning! Wolfhounds LOVE fruit! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

sparkles

Hi Donnelly dogs,
You are obviously prolific… My leeks have always been Musselburg. I would also always prefer leeks to carrots. My guess is that they’d be fine if you thin them in the beds. My style of gardening is very haphazard and I wouldn’t look to me for guidance! I just put stuff in the ground and watch what happens. My leeks always grow, so I love them. (may be that’s why they grow ! )

Viviennem
I’m also growing radishes in a big pot by the back door-first time and they are beautiful and tasty. I’m glad your cherry and rowan survived the move and what a shame about the others. It was a bad winter. My neighbour and I both lost clematis and I lost a hebe and a couple of camelias. So you are not alone.

My dog loves apples. I often sit cutting mine up with a knife, one for me one for the dog style. But a dog liking nectarines- that’s something else!!!
SPARKLES

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We didn't know what was causing our old goldie to keep getting us up during the night....it was when we had conference pears with other fruit on our coffeee table. My Mum discovered that when I left the house she would help herself to 1 or 2 conference pears...and obviously ate all the pear totally. I thought my hubby was eating them!!

No longer buy conference pears, no longer helps herself, and no more getting up during the night on a consistent basis.....

She has diabetes insipidis and I was think as she is now 14 that she was starting to go downhill...but no....it was the quantity of pears that she was eating....

It was our fault we used to feed her the cores after we had them, and she obviously got the taste!!!

Live and learn, the same withthe garden. I think that is what I love about gardening - I just love to see things grow-whether in pots, tubs, or anywhere.....even have some parsnips at a friends just growing in downpipes that he was going to take down the dump until I said cut them up and put seeds in them. It is such a relaxing hobby but burns up a fair bit if energy too.

I think Mr Mole despite being a pain is being quite benficial with the slugs-last year was prolific with them, and only had 2 so far that quickly learnt to swim or drown in the river.....so perhaps I will have to learn to live with him....

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Josie Wolfhound was the first one I had, and her love of any and all fruits absolutely fascinated me! She would lie at my feet and pick grapes off a bunch I held out, one by one. The first time this happened I let her have too many, with disastrous consequences at about 3am! :shock: So I can sympathise, DD!

I once knew a golden retriever that would kill for cucumber!

The weather seems to be picking up now, so I should get some gardening in this week, yippee! Up here in the Yorkshire Dales we are NOT short of water - it's been raining for a couple of weeks, we get the overspill from Cumbria.

Viv 8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We are in Wales, and couple fo years ago, my onions just got so washed away and rotten I was really disappointed. Have had 4 extra drainage ditches put in to try and cope with all the rain!!!
Although last year for the first year we ran out of water in the 4 water butts we have..

Love the robin at the allotment, I love robins, and at last house used to have one as well that followed me around, just like my best buddy, didn't even mind the dogs!!

Birds are currently eating me out of house and home as well, think I may make their living too easy-they are going through 2 or 3 trays of food by early evening. Watching them feed their babies is brilliant and gives me hours of pleasure.

My stepdad gave me some worms a few years ago for my compost bins....went to lift the lid of one of them the other day, and the weight of the lid was immense....took it off and the biggest pile of slimy composting worms I have ever seen fell in to the compost-they were all absolutely so gross as they also were in a mixture of horrible slimy looking stuff.....Have now got enough worms to give to fishermen now-providing they hook them out of the compost. I haven't been able to go to the compost bin since, as the sight was just gross-have to leave that to hubby.....I think hubby could put my body in there one day, and I would be gone within days!!!!!! I would love to feed the birds with the worms as well, but the pile of slimy/hundreds of worms has really put me off!!

sparkles

Loved the robin story… didn’t like the worm one- I too am squeamish of worms but can now hold one long enough to move it. We have robins here too and I never knew till I moved here just how tame they can be. I have also seen them come and stand by me within about 2 ft of where I’m working. They are so cute and inquisitive and it always reminds me of fairy stories like snow white and Walt Disney . I put a bird house up last year and we have blue **** nesting in it. That gives me pleasure. I don’t feed the birds but I’m so pleased with this blue tit family I am thinking I will look for some suitable food and place it close to the birdhouse with a big sign saying WELCOME. I just planted chicory in a big tub by my back door. I hadn’t tasted it ever till I bought some a week ago after starting this diet. I love it shredded in stir-frys. The packet of seeds was one from a free offer I think that’s been lying around. It says you can harvest them in 30 days and they grow fine in lg tubs. Cant wait. I also transplanted a lot of my veg this morning and feel a bit more in control now.
Strange how all these dogs like fruits isn’t it. I think of dogs as carnivorous. The weather is great in Yorkshire today and I’ll be happy if it continues.. But hey things look so good in the garden thanks to all that rain so Im not complaining either way. BTW Im so glad there are other low carb gardeners out there. I shall return to tap your expertise! Got any good gardening tips anyone?
SPARKLES

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Dogs are meat-biased omnivores, I think . . . some of our older shepherds/farmers never used to give their dogs meat. At least not recognisable as such, and never raw - it was believed to encourage them to kill sheep! We used to have a bloodhound that loved raw potatoes, stolen from the sack in the cellar; and a boxer who hated peas - if you put 3 in her dinner you would find all three on the bottom of the bowl when she had licked it clean!

One tip I gleaned from somewhere this week - if you have problems with cats pooing in the garden beds, soak teabags in essential oils - lavender, tea tree, citrus etc - and distribute them round the borders.

I don't know whether the teabags are supposed to be wet first - probably, or they'd blow away - and it could be expensive in oils! However, I might try it - some of our local cats think I'm digging toilets specially for them!

Viv 8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What a brilliant 1st tip!!!!Teabags and oils-I have both!!!

Last year my dogs were picking the peas and mangetout off the plants-leaves as well, this was before the raised beds, and pots...So this year the pease etc are all in big tubs, and I am hoping that the flowers which are about 3' off the ground are high enough away to stop them munching them when they turn to shells!!!!

I'm going to wander around my garden to think of some tips that I use and haven't previously thought about.....

After the e colii scare with cucumbers, I am glad I am growing my own!!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well my tip for this week is to:

Cut off a few of the strawberry plant leaves -they only need 2 or 3 for their photosynthesis...so cut some off and let the sun to the strawberries....depending how many plants you have.....to keep the strawberries off the ground grab about 6" of garden wire-lift the leaves and the strawberries up and tie them loosely and yet tight enough to hold them upward and off the ground... whilst doing this cut off runners that are forming as well until after the strawberries have started to turn colour-you want to give the strawberries all the energy-not the leaves-and not the runners. Weed in between and water with miracle gro!!!!

Straw isn't so good, because the miraclgro ends up on the straw and soaking in to that, and also the runners aren't so clearly visible to cut off....and you can also see the slugs and deal with as necessary.....

I know fruit farms can't do this-as it is pretty labour intensive, but it definitely works for us home growers...I have about 70 plants, and last week managed to do 1/2 of them in a couple of hours one afternoon. Have the other half to do in our heatwave tomorrow!!!!!!!

sparkles

Hi Donelleysdogs,
Great tips there. I have two strawberry pots and they are looking so good this year. (What did I do I wonder?!) (not compliaining!) I ll 'prune' them soon.

Here are a couple of tips from me.
for those who are low income and want to start growing in pots but dont have any.. If you have trouble finding big tubs chaply Band Q sell their own big orange buckets and Its a long time since I bought mine but I remember they were very cheap 99p springs to mind. They are quite big and I'm sure holes could be drilled i the bottom to make them into cheap planters. Fiil with garden soil or soil from a cheap growbag, and throw in a pack of herb seeds and there you have it. I have also found these buckets invaluable when it comes to watering. I keep them by my water butt. I used to water everything with the hose but I pay for that water where the water but water is free. Things like beans like quite a lot of water (i think) and like to be watered by the soil/roots and not sprayed on the leaves as they are liable to gett leaf mould. So buckets full of water with some plant food in are ideal here.

another thing I do is collect my loo roll middles. I fold up one end to make a little plant pot and fill a tray with them. Its a bit fiddly. Then I plant into them, when the plantlings are of a sixe to plant out I plant the whole pot or if it is already disintigrating tear it off but it leaves the roots compacted in their soil and undisturbed. I ried beans in this but it didnt work. but many other things have.

Sparkles.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I use the same bucket/pots for doing exactly the same...got hubby to put some holes in them for a few herbs...and use some for watering. Morrisons were selling off 8-10 of the flower pots that hold the flowers in their display stands for just 99p for the 8 or 10.

I also do the same with toilet roll holders, I get everybody saving them for me, from friends and family to dog walkers that I meet, and I have traded the beans, peas and mangetout grown in them back to my massage chap for a free massage!!!

Just wondering whether I can use more loo rolls as collars for the leeks to blanche them-but as I am a newbie to leek growing I am a bit unsure about this...worth a go though I think.

My elderly neighbours and I also do plant exchanges, my hellebores self seed everywhere, so I dig them up and pass them on, and as I grew 3 packets of 6 'all female' cucumbers this year-and all but 4 grew- I had a few surplus...so we have swopped tomatos and cucumbers (although for some reason I manage to kill tomatos'.. when you get hundreds of seeds in packets if they all take-there is always surplus....so we all swop.

Mr Mole got in to my newly emerging swede raised bed last night and dug the whole bed up and all the seedlings have gone. Now pondering whether to just leave him (and his family!!) to that small raised bed so it will distract him from the rest of the beds, strawberries and onions...there must have been something bigger than a mole in garden last night as when one dog chased it, it made a thunderous noise as it scrambled over the 3' garden fence...I was too late with the torch to see what it was, just the noise as it tried to scramble over the fence very quickly......

sparkles

Hi ...
I love the loo roll leek blanching idea. Dont know if it would work as they disintegrate when wet but well worth a try. -they are plentiful enough.

I had a great day in the garden all day today.. weather was glorious and I achieved loads. I feel so much better for putting some order in the flower patch it was becoming over run with weeds. If its fine and if I dont ache too much Ill do the same tomorrow. the plants look so happy.

Wonder what was disturbing your garden. moles go under not over.. what could it be... a cat or fox perhaps. I think the orange buckets probably look quite well as planters. I havent tried it. But orange with greens would be very cheerful I would think.

SPARKLES