Gawd, let’s hope not....

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the radio this morning, talking about improving treatments for cancer, they said that cancer could ‘become as treatable as diabetes’.

I really hope they can do better than that!

They didn’t specify which type of diabetes, but if they meant T2, that well-known ‘progressive disease’, then let’s really hope that they don’t follow the same path we see every time someone is diagnosed with diabetes.... The hopelessly outdated misinformation (if any advice or explanation is given at all), the lack of research and lack of training for doctors in key associated areas (like appropriate diet), lack of medical care beyond the administrative bean-counting of sending patients for the bare minimum of mandatory assessments, the complete disinterest in how some of those diagnosed manage to achieve astonishing improvements, and the meddling and disruption of sensible scientific investigation and debate by corporate and media entities with a financial or dietary-dogma axe to grind.

Not to mention the decades of flawed nutritional advice which has induced the disease in thousands of people in the first place.

Yeah, don’t let’s use the current approach to diabetes treatment as the model or sunlit-upland goal for better cancer treatment. Everyone deserves better than that.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
To be fair, when I was diagnosed T1 (50 years ago) the diagnosis was death in 30 or 40 years (and the diagnosis now is just a few years off a non diabetic's lifespan if you take care). I would certainly prefer T1 to many many cancer diagnoses.... (I have a university contemporary in her late fifties with cancer who would love to have diabetes instead.)

The treatment for T1s has improved astronomically over the time I have been T1. (And, a bonus, when I saw my dietician two days ago for my annual T1 assessment she'd gone from "low carb is really bad" to "don't go too low carb". :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair, when I was diagnosed T1 (50 years ago) the diagnosis was death in 30 or 40 years (and the diagnosis now is just a few years off a non diabetic's lifespan if you take care). I would certainly prefer T1 to many many cancer diagnoses.... (I have a university contemporary in her late fifties with cancer who would love to have diabetes instead.)

The treatment for T1s has improved astronomically over the time I have been T1. (And, a bonus, when I saw my dietician two days ago for my annual T1 assessment she'd gone from "low carb is really bad" to "don't go too low carb". :)
I'm interested in why you see a dietician? I have successfully avoided them since my diagnosis:)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Standard practice in NHS in uk in my area too. In fact it was a dietician who set up and trained me in initially using my pump. Lovely, caring, extremely knowledgeable lady, who sadly left as our team as the ccg wanted to downgrade her for doing the same work. Such a shame, I still miss her today. Sadly didn't know she was leaving so never got to say thank you for all her help.