Getting the right basal

Ausra

I had my basal perfect for a long time but now something is happening wrong.
I want to do a day without carbs to test it, but now i remembered in dafne course nurse saying that even if you don't eat in the morning you should get your bolus dose because when you wake up sugars just go up itself even without eating anything especially if you have to run somewhere or do something. So that means if i want to go carb free all day to test my basal i still need some bolus in the morning. I am just confused now how to be sure my basal is good if my sugars will rise in the morning anyway.
I don't know if I am getting this right, please if anyone knows better...help??

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even without eating carbs your sugar levels will rise. This is because your liver will produce glucose from almost anything you eat as your brain needs glucose.

The best way to test your basal is by testing before bed and upon waking. If your levels change by more than 1.6 then adjust your insulin by 10%.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First off there's no need to do a all day fast to test your basal insulin, what you should do is skip breakfast one day and eat lunch as normal then eat breakfast the next day and fast through to your evening meal, each time you would need to test your bg hourly.

To me if you inject a bolus dose at breakfast it will screw the bg readings throughout the morning as QA insulin can be active for up to 5 hours after injecting, when I do a morning fast I just go with what my bg reading is one hour after waking and see if it rises or falls more than 1.5mmol, if my bg is slightly high before the test then I'll just go with it rather than delay or take corrective insulin, if bg is really high then I'd wait till the next day to do the test.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree....I wld have gone without bolus and seen just what happened to levels. On pump now, but still same sort of basics... To test basals you have to go without a bolus...No matter what time...