Gliclazide

fuseman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, does anyone know if there is an alternative to Gliclazide, one that can be taken without having to notify the DVLA? Thanks

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even though you have to inform DVLA by law, it will not affect your driving licence at all if anything because of the law it does work to your advantage as you will get test strips on prescription if you already don't

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are other meds such as sitagliptin, which work in a different way to gliclazide. I've been taking gliclazide since 2010, I've never had to inform the DVLA and I've never had a hypo on it.

fuseman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You don't actually need to inform DVLA unless you have had a severe hypo in preceeding 12months. That is for group 1 license, cars/ vans. Only need to inform them if on insulin.
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks for the reply's much appreciated. I've been type 2 for around 12 years but I must admit my attitude towards my diabetes is very casual I just take the medication and get on with my life, I take Metformin at a total dosage of 2 grams a day and the Gliclazide at 320mg a day (this dose was just doubled as I was having trouble keeping my numbers low in fact my last HbA1c came in at 78), been taking the Gliclazide for a couple of years without any trouble but I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that if tablets that could cause an hypo were taken and Gliclazide was one mentioned then you had to inform the DVLA? but after reading these replies it seems I interpreted it wrong?. I've never had an hypo on this medication but since my Gliclazide dosage was doubled a month ago I've had couple of occasions when I've had to eat a couple of glucose tabs to stop the shakes, but I can't put all the blame on the Gliclazide as I've made a big reduction in my carb intake as well and the shakes have been just before I take my evening meal. I'm currently getting morning readings of 4.9 to 6.3 which is down from 14.5 to 18 a month ago when the Gliclazide was increased. I was put on Saxagliptin around 12 months ago but has to stop taking them after around a week, they made me feel ill, it was like I had a very bad chest infection.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Exenatide, liraglutide and dapagliflozin are other possibilities from the newer diabetes medications.

Regards

Doug

Type 2 diabetes
Metformin 500mg td
Cholesterol and blood pressure on target with medication.
Also living with Parkinson's Disease.
Happily helping to moderate this great forum.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I get that wrong as you have to inform DVLA if you have a group 2 licence however you do still have to test before every journey and every 2 hours there after whilst driving

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I didn't think you needed to tell the DVLA about Gliclazide even though it can cause hypos? The gliptin family are similar but different and don't cause hypos. They extend the time the pancreas produces insulin after a meal rather than stimulating the pancreas

fuseman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had a look around the DVLA web site from the link posted by mo1905, this is what it says:

Diabetes treated by Sulphonylureas or Glinide tablets (or both)
Car or motorcycle licence
You don’t need to tell DVLA. Read leaflet INF188/2 to find out more about driving with diabetes.

Diabetes treated by any other tablets or non-insulin injections
Car or motorcycle licence
You don’t need to tell DVLA. For further information read leaflet INF188/2.

Gliclazide is a Sulphonylureas