1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gluten rash?!

Discussion in 'Gluten-free Forum' started by sjm1308, Oct 5, 2018.

1. sjm1308

sjm1308 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was symptomatic of coeliacs for about 2 years now. Bloating, fatigue, brain fog, nausea, aneamic, constipation, diarrhoea the list could go on. Anyway my blood test came back negative and I refused the colonoscopy (I just cannot go through with it). I seen a kinesologist who said I came up as intolerant to wheat (not gluten)and lactose. I havnt cut anything out as yet as having a tumultuous time atm but I've had this rash on both arms from shoulder to wrist for as long as I can remember of my adult life and am just wondering if anyone had something similar that was related to an intolerance?

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I follow a gluten free diet on the advice of an endcrinologist, even though I had no coeliac antibodies. However cutting to your query. I don't have an "always" rash, although I have been GF for over a year now, but these days if I load the toaster for my OH, or make him a sandwich at lunchtime, my hands become very dry and the fingertips sometimes crack. Very annoying!

I must admit when I saw your query, my immediate thoughts were whether or not you have been tested for Lupus?

When I was having the coeliac antibodies done, I also had all sorts of other stuff tested too, including lupus, general connective tissue disorders, RA and so on. They were all tested because of a family history littered on both side with AI conditions. Thus far I appear to have dodged every one of those bullets.

I know Dr Google can be a scary place to go raking, but have you looked for images like your rash?

I hope you get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sjm1308

sjm1308 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply! I did just Google lupus and I don't have any of the symptoms and the rash doesn't look similar but it also doesn't look similar to any of the Google images of a gluten rash! Perhaps I'll visit my doc after all..

4. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

Dermatitis herpetiformis is a spotty blistering itchy rash which occurs just in a small area, and is associated with coeliac disease. I'd ask your GP cos there are lots of other rashes and there may be an easy treatment, and most GPs are pretty good on rashes.
    Best wishes

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook