1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Glycemic variance

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by achyut1939, Jul 12, 2019.

1. achyut1939

achyut1939 Type 2 · Member

I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I am taking 30/70 biphasic isophane insulin injections 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. My post dinner blood glucose level is 268 mg/dl, and it gets reduced to a fasting blood glucose level of 91 mg/dl. Does this variation causes diabetes complications in future. However, I do not have any diabetes complications till now.

#1 achyut1939, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi - just answering to bump you question to the top of the pile, but I cant really comment as a T1 - but levels that high aren't ideal, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can advise. Tagging @JoKalsbeek

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Other · Type 2 - well controlled. Moderator.
    Staff Member

I don’t take insulin so I can’t comment too much. Your fasting reading of 91 (5.01 in units used in the U.K.) is well with in the desired range of under 5.5. However 268 (14.8 in U.K.) is above the recommended limit of 149 (8.3).
    This, with my limited knowledge of insulin use in Type 2 would indicate you have eaten too many carbs in your dinner or your insulin dose is too low. I can’t recommend what to do, but I think a Drs visit would be wise.

• Like Like x 1
  4. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is copied from the blood sugar 101 website https://www.bloodsugar101.com/healthy-blood-sugar-targets

Research conducted with human patients, mice, and pancreas beta cell cultures all point to a single threshold at which elevated blood sugars cause permanent damage to your body. What is that level?
    140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) after meals

• Like Like x 1
  5. achyut1939

Fortunately, I do not have any diabetes complications till now, eventhough my ppbg levels are far higher than 140 mg/dl. This may be due to my genes. Also, I think if diabetes complications appear if the bg level is higher than 140 mg/dl, many persons would have got diabetes complications, which is not the real situation.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 achyut1939, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Your numbers do fluctuate a little more and higher than one would wish to see them do. I'd say, cut the carbohydrates some, but with your insulin/medical regime, I don't think it's safe to do so without an okay from your doc on how to proceed. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ could help a little to get you started?

• Like Like x 1
  7. achyut1939

I get Hyperglycemia on some days. To reduce the hypers if I reduce the diet, or increase the insulin dosage, I get into hypos. So I have to live with my bg fluctuations.

8. Rachox

Rachox Other · Type 2 - well controlled. Moderator.
    Staff Member

Why do you feel you have to live with the fluctuations? As I said above you need to visit your Dr. A change of insulin type or change in dosage might help even your readings out.

9. achyut1939

My doctor is not concerned with the ppbg levels. My HbA1c is 6.1%. My fbg is in normal range (less than 100 mg/dl). My ppbg is higher than 140 mg/dl. I do not have any diabetes complications till now. It may be also quite certainly possible that these nasty complications appear if the high bg levels are consistent, persistent, continuous, and prolonged for a long peroid of time. Further, it takes months or years for the complications appear. Hence, temporary, and transient high ppbg levels that get reduced to near fbg levels in a few hours do not cause complications. As I have already mentioned earlier, I have not got any diabetes complications till now, eventhough I have type 2 diabetes from the past 30 years. I very much like to know the experience of the other members.(My fbg varies from 60 mg/dl to 120 mg/dl. My ppbg varies from 130 mg/dl to 270 mg/dl).

#9 achyut1939, Jul 13, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019 at 12:04 PM
  10. achyut1939

On 18 July 2019 at 03-30 AM I got a hypo of 57 mg/dl. That is the problem, I get hypos of 57 mg/dl to 70 mg/dl, and hypers of 140 mg/dl to 270 mg/dl, on some days for the same insulin dosage and diet carbs.

#10 achyut1939, Jul 18, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019 at 7:08 AM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook