going abroad for a year...

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Just about to qualify as a mental health nurse and I'm looking into moving to Perth WA for a year to do a graduate programe. I'm T1 so is there a way of getting my insulin supplied while I'm over there as I do here? Can someone post it to me? I'm guessing the risk is that the insulin sits on a hot runway while being unloaded and becomes useless?

Anyone moved to Oz for a period of time care to comment?

Cheers,

Mark

jopar

Hi mark

I think that the answer is yes that there is help avaiable... I'm going to copy this into the T1 forum, As I know one of the members is an OZ, a mum to a T1 Child she should be able to tell you more and hoepfully she seen it quicker in the T1 forum

Jo

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Mark
I would think you and your health care team here are going to have to provide you with all medication requirements in some form of letter to present to a GP or Hospital in Perth, WA. For a short trip you would be able to get extra supplies here to take with you. For the length of time you envisage you will have to check with the Aussie health services.
There's no way you can export meds like Insulin from here without a licence of some sort.
Have a nice time, you lucky >>>>>>>>.
Ken

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Thanks Jo. Was a bit "umm" choosing which part of the forum to post in.

cugila: yeah I kinda thought things would be a bit tighter seeing as you can end up in prison for bringing in mud on your shoes (ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean).

My health check should be fine. Pretty good control and gave up smoking in december. Did a phone interview at 7am monday morning and that went well. Was 4c here and 34c there! Woot. Warm!!!

Jemma85

Hi,

I went travelling for 5 months last year and managed to take enough insulin with me to last that time (kept it in stinking frio packs and various hostel fridges!!). Obviously a year is a bit too long to do this but I met another type 1 travelling and he had managed to get some fresh insulin on an emergency prescription in Oz very easily (though I think it cost him £100 for 2 packs?!) so I am sure there would be no trouble getting hold of it and most probably a lot cheaper if you are on a working visa, living there and not just having a rather nice holiday!!

Very jealous, have fun!

malky

If you contact diabetes australia they will provide you with all the info you need, i believe you need to registar with a doctor when you get over there and with the relevant diabetes organisation for the state your in and you will have to pay for your insulin etc. but it is subsidised

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi there,

I'm in Australia and have a 2yr old type 1. You shouldn't have any problem getting anything you need out here. I think being a part of the Commonwealth you can get a Medicare Card and as someone else mentioned you should contact Diabetes Australia.

I can buy strips, lancets, test wipes, ketone strips and needles over the counter at certain chemists (a list is available). I also buy stock over the internet from Diabetes Queensland. I need a script to get insulin and hypo kits.

The doctors here would write a letter for me if I was going to travel overseas or on a plane in Australia (sharps laws on planes). There is a DN at most hospitals that you could make contact with once here.

If you have any questions, just ask. Australia has a great lifestyle. I lived in England for a year and can't say I took very well to the weather.

Happy travels, Jen.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I lived in England for a year and can't say I took very well to the weather.

Hi Jen
I've lived here all my life and I can't stand it either !!!
Ken

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Ken

Why the British sent the convicts here I will never understand. My ancesters were sent out here in WWII from England. I bet they sent a thank you letter to the Germans. Swimming in the ocean seems to becoming a dangerous past-time though. Fair few shark bites this year. Snakes here too.

At least your Summer is on the way.

Jen.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Jen&Khaleb said:
Ken

Why the British sent the convicts here I will never understand.
Fair few shark bites this year. Snakes here too.

At least your Summer is on the way.

Jen.
Hi Jen
Strange that must be the Brit sense of humour ? As for the sharks and snakes we have a few here too - they are called Bankers !! I hope I spelled that right ?
Ken