Going away for a few days...advice

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So next Friday and Saturday I’m going to spend some time with family who I havnt seen in a while...apparently they have arrange for a meal out at Frankie and bennys...we are going to the Harry Potter studio tour which includes a hot meal...and a butterbeer which is probs full of sugar...and then I think we’re going out for meals the next day...and I’m having anxiety about it.

My bloods sugars have been perfectly normal over the last 6.5 weeks, I was diagnosed in March and have lost 2 stone since diagnosis.

I don’t go low carb, I probs eat between 130-200 grams of carbs per day, spread out the day of course...and I ususally stick to whole grains.

I’m nervous of how my blood sugars are gonna act....I can’t say no I don’t wanna go out, I can’t not eat anything.....would it matter if I had the one or two high blood sugar readings? My blood sugar usually goes down pretty quick...and it’s would only be 2 days max, I know I’d be back on it with my normal diet after....am I likely to damage my organs or body?...I’m going to try and make the best decisions I can, but I also need to not panic and fear every time I go out for family gatherings.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My family I’m seeing are also diabetic...they take medication but eat what they want...not very healthy at all....I take no meds, diet only

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My family I’m seeing are also diabetic...they take medication but eat what they want...not very healthy at all....I take no meds, diet only
I just had a quick google because we don't have F&B's here, but you can order the burger without the bun without any problems. Steak, mixed grill's probably all fine, just ask for salad instead of fries. Or go for a salad as a main meal. There's 42 grams of carbs in one serving of butterbeer according to some websites, so... Considering you're not going extremely low carb, you can pick & choose your carbs, really... Just keep in mind that a spike may make you feel a little off. Irritable, wobbly. And you might crave more carbs afterwards.

Basically, organs get damaged if you have sustained high bloodsugars for a prolonged period of time. I doubt a couple of days, if you're picking your carb-battles, are going to set you back all that much. Experience the butterbeer, skip bread and fries which you can get any old time. (And do let me know how it tasted. ;) ) Breathe. It takes time to figure out how to order food when out with others, and especially if the others are choosing a route that is very different from yours, they may have questions or have a laugh... I know my family takes the mickey, but these days I just laugh with them, and explain I rather like having my feet, and functioning kidneys, and do what I feel I need to do anyway. They then just shrug and are absolutely fine with it: I don't ask them to change their diet, I'm just changing mine. Remember, meat is low carb, as are above-ground veggies, and a restaurant rather has you asking for extra salad instead of bread or spuds, because they don't like throwing perfectly good food out.

Just go out and have a good time. And guess what.... Practically all of us "fall off the wagon" at some point or another! Some actually plan it, like over the holidays. The trick is getting back on at the soonest possible moment. Enjoy yourself. Stress is just going to make your bloodsugars rise, and this is supposed to be fun for you too eh.
Hugs,
Jo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So next Friday and Saturday I’m going to spend some time with family who I havnt seen in a while...apparently they have arrange for a meal out at Frankie and bennys...we are going to the Harry Potter studio tour which includes a hot meal...and a butterbeer which is probs full of sugar...and then I think we’re going out for meals the next day...and I’m having anxiety about it.

My bloods sugars have been perfectly normal over the last 6.5 weeks, I was diagnosed in March and have lost 2 stone since diagnosis.

I don’t go low carb, I probs eat between 130-200 grams of carbs per day, spread out the day of course...and I ususally stick to whole grains.

I’m nervous of how my blood sugars are gonna act....I can’t say no I don’t wanna go out, I can’t not eat anything.....would it matter if I had the one or two high blood sugar readings? My blood sugar usually goes down pretty quick...and it’s would only be 2 days max, I know I’d be back on it with my normal diet after....am I likely to damage my organs or body?...I’m going to try and make the best decisions I can, but I also need to not panic and fear every time I go out for family gatherings.

Hi Jessie, what would your 200g of carbs look like on a normal day? You may find that choosing something in a restaurant makes you end up having less than 200 carbs, ie steak or meat or some veg etc.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jessie, what would your 200g of carbs look like on a normal day? You may find that choosing something in a restaurant makes you end up having less than 200 carbs, ie steak or meat or some veg etc.

So my carbs consist of a lot of salad and veggies...I do have Wholemeal bread (2 slices from 400g loaf), oats, potatoes, brown rice or wholewheat pasta and beans....I don’t have all these in one day though, I have at least one meal that’s non startchy carbs.. I am not a big meat eater in general but will maybe have chicken or fish. Not a fan of red meat.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just popped on to say Butter beer is horrible! :hungover: I went to the Harry Potter thing before I was diagnosed and had just one sip, one sip too many of you ask me! :depressed: Save your carbs for a decent dinner instead!

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a quick google because we don't have F&B's here, but you can order the burger without the bun without any problems. Steak, mixed grill's probably all fine, just ask for salad instead of fries. Or go for a salad as a main meal. There's 42 grams of carbs in one serving of butterbeer according to some websites, so... Considering you're not going extremely low carb, you can pick & choose your carbs, really... Just keep in mind that a spike may make you feel a little off. Irritable, wobbly. And you might crave more carbs afterwards.

Basically, organs get damaged if you have sustained high bloodsugars for a prolonged period of time. I doubt a couple of days, if you're picking your carb-battles, are going to set you back all that much. Experience the butterbeer, skip bread and fries which you can get any old time. (And do let me know how it tasted. ;) ) Breathe. It takes time to figure out how to order food when out with others, and especially if the others are choosing a route that is very different from yours, they may have questions or have a laugh... I know my family takes the mickey, but these days I just laugh with them, and explain I rather like having my feet, and functioning kidneys, and do what I feel I need to do anyway. They then just shrug and are absolutely fine with it: I don't ask them to change their diet, I'm just changing mine. Remember, meat is low carb, as are above-ground veggies, and a restaurant rather has you asking for extra salad instead of bread or spuds, because they don't like throwing perfectly good food out.

Just go out and have a good time. And guess what.... Practically all of us "fall off the wagon" at some point or another! Some actually plan it, like over the holidays. The trick is getting back on at the soonest possible moment. Enjoy yourself. Stress is just going to make your bloodsugars rise, and this is supposed to be fun for you too eh.
Hugs,
Jo
Thanks for your lovely advice jo :) ....I going to of course enjoy my time with family and try and chose the best options but at least I now know it’s not going to kill me having a treat.

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just popped on to say Butter beer is horrible! :hungover: I went to the Harry Potter thing before I was diagnosed and had just one sip, one sip too many of you ask me! :depressed: Save your carbs for a decent dinner instead!

I have heard mix things about the butter beer...must be like marmite you either love it or hate it...I’ll try a little, I decided I won’t drinks it all as it’s a lot of sugar and I’ve never really had sugary drinks even before being diagnosed

Reactions: Rachox

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have heard mix things about the butter beer...must be like marmite you either love it or hate it...I’ll try a little, I decided I won’t drinks it all as it’s a lot of sugar and I’ve never really had sugary drinks even before being diagnosed

The frozen butter beer is MUCH nicer (mainly slush) but a sip or two is enough. Jessie, if I were you I would just enjoy the days with your family, don't agonise over it, choose a meat dish with some veg (steak, steak, steak) and job done. x

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The frozen butter beer is MUCH nicer (mainly slush) but a sip or two is enough. Jessie, if I were you I would just enjoy the days with your family, don't agonise over it, choose a meat dish with some veg (steak, steak, steak) and job done. x

Thank you so much I’m not going to worry now, I’ve made great choices since being diagnosed and will keep doing the best I can