Going on holiday

Helen_S-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mood swings
Hi, I am going to Spain at the weekend and it's my first trip since T1 diagnosis in January 2016. I think I have all my meds sorted but I wondered if I need a letter for the airport as I haven't got one! Also any tips greatly appreciated as I am struggling to keep my numbers down at the moment.

Helen

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Helen
I went to Cyprus in April, my consultant wrote me a letter stating I was Insulin dependant but I was not asked to produce it at the airport. Your GP should be able to produce a letter for you. Carry your insulin in your carry on bag as putting it in the hold baggage will spoil the insulin due to the low temperature in the hold. I also bought a frio cooling bag for my spare insulin this kept it cool enough I then transferred it to the fridge in the hotel once I got there. Their website is www.friouk.com.
Del

Reactions: Juicyj

Helen_S-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mood swings
Great thank you Del, I have a frio bag that I bought when I booked the holiday so that's sorted. Did they question your carrying insulin or needles at all?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Helen, have taken a few flights now since being diagnosed, I also got my GP to write me a letter but have never been asked for it, I think they see a few passengers with the same so understand, I was quite nervous too as was unsure what they would say but no one said anything so feel alot more relaxed now travelling through the airport with my gear ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi, I am going to Spain at the weekend and it's my first trip since T1 diagnosis in January 2016. I think I have all my meds sorted but I wondered if I need a letter for the airport as I haven't got one! Also any tips greatly appreciated as I am struggling to keep my numbers down at the moment.

Helen

May be a bit late now to get a Dr's letter, if it is just take along a copy of your repeat prescription as prove that you use all the meds in your luggage.

As for tips, I quite like the following article from the JDRF which covers the basics when travelling abroad:

https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/travelling/

Have a great time :)

A

asparagusp

You might be able to get a doctor's letter. You do have to pay for it though. My experience traveling within our beloved EU ....., is that security don't ask, partly because they have so many passengers to process. I tell them though and having the letter does give me peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a letter. I keep it in a wallet with my passport, etc, and always mention I have Type 1 and am carrying insulin and sharps with me as soon as I check in. I then mention it again at security and have the letter ready in my hand. I also take a copy of my prescription.

Enjoy your holiday!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Helen_S-C - Yes you do need a letter for airport security. Your DSN will probably do you one for free. The GP can charge £30 for one! Have a great holiday

A

asparagusp

I have flow
Hi @Helen_S-C - Yes you do need a letter for airport security. Your DSN will probably do you one for free. The GP can charge £30 for one! Have a great holiday

I have flown a few times since summer 2015 within the EU including Spain a month ago and I reiterate, I wasn't asked for the letter. I simply told security I was diabetic and carrying medication and sharps.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Being a pilot, I'm forever flying.

I have a letter in with my pilot's licence. First time I went through security I explained my situation to which I got 'no bother at all' and every other time I've kept quiet unless the metal detector beeps. It's only beeped for my shoes once and rest random. I got asked on a random search 'can I ask what's in your pocket?' and I mentioned my pump to which they said it was fine. I have my medication in a plastic toiletries bag. No issues!