1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Going on holiday

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Helen_S-C, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Helen_S-C

Helen_S-C Type 1 · Active Member

Hi, I am going to Spain at the weekend and it's my first trip since T1 diagnosis in January 2016. I think I have all my meds sorted but I wondered if I need a letter for the airport as I haven't got one! Also any tips greatly appreciated as I am struggling to keep my numbers down at the moment.

Helen

2. delmcp

delmcp Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Helen
    I went to Cyprus in April, my consultant wrote me a letter stating I was Insulin dependant but I was not asked to produce it at the airport. Your GP should be able to produce a letter for you. Carry your insulin in your carry on bag as putting it in the hold baggage will spoil the insulin due to the low temperature in the hold. I also bought a frio cooling bag for my spare insulin this kept it cool enough I then transferred it to the fridge in the hotel once I got there. Their website is www.friouk.com.
    Del

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Helen_S-C

Helen_S-C Type 1 · Active Member

Great thank you Del, I have a frio bag that I bought when I booked the holiday so that's sorted. Did they question your carrying insulin or needles at all?

4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Helen, have taken a few flights now since being diagnosed, I also got my GP to write me a letter but have never been asked for it, I think they see a few passengers with the same so understand, I was quite nervous too as was unsure what they would say but no one said anything so feel alot more relaxed now travelling through the airport with my gear ;)

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

May be a bit late now to get a Dr's letter, if it is just take along a copy of your repeat prescription as prove that you use all the meds in your luggage.

As for tips, I quite like the following article from the JDRF which covers the basics when travelling abroad:

https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/travelling/

Have a great time :)

6. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

You might be able to get a doctor's letter. You do have to pay for it though. My experience traveling within our beloved EU ....., is that security don't ask, partly because they have so many passengers to process. I tell them though and having the letter does give me peace of mind.

#6 asparagusp, Oct 13, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2016
  7. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I have a letter. I keep it in a wallet with my passport, etc, and always mention I have Type 1 and am carrying insulin and sharps with me as soon as I check in. I then mention it again at security and have the letter ready in my hand. I also take a copy of my prescription.

Enjoy your holiday!

8. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Helen_S-C - Yes you do need a letter for airport security. Your DSN will probably do you one for free. The GP can charge £30 for one! Have a great holiday

9. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

I have flow
    I have flown a few times since summer 2015 within the EU including Spain a month ago and I reiterate, I wasn't asked for the letter. I simply told security I was diabetic and carrying medication and sharps.

10. ScottyD

ScottyD Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Being a pilot, I'm forever flying.

I have a letter in with my pilot's licence. First time I went through security I explained my situation to which I got 'no bother at all' and every other time I've kept quiet unless the metal detector beeps. It's only beeped for my shoes once and rest random. I got asked on a random search 'can I ask what's in your pocket?' and I mentioned my pump to which they said it was fine. I have my medication in a plastic toiletries bag. No issues!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook