Type 2 Good BG numbers, but still....

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I need to be reassured about my BG numbers. They are generally below 5.3 fasting, and between 5 and 7 consistently post-prandially, and I know that is good. This evening I ate two slices of ordinary, whole-meal bread with eggs and bacon for dinner because of convenience. I forgot to measure before I ate, but my results after were 1hr - 5.9, 2hrs - 6.5, and 3hrs - 6,4 (that was less than ten minutes ago.) The spike was probably less than 2 altogether, and I know the fat is probably the reason the 2hr reading was higher, but I just need to know I am not in a danger zone staying in the 6s for so long.

I'm still so new at this, (a month yesterday since diagnosis) that I am asking what you guys must think are ridiculous questions. Reading the numbers the other newbies report, I understand that I must be very lucky - I have never measured higher than 7.8, and that was my first week. Perhaps my pancreas, having gotten a rest because of LCHF, manages to deal with some carbs now - that is, the bread. (I do realize it can't become a habit, though, and this was the two last slices of bread I had in the freezer.) It's just, should I try to aim to stay below 6? Or is below 7 ok?

I've done some major changes to my diet, but not as many as I could have, in the belief that I'll be better able to handle this in steps. Phasing out diet soda, perhaps the crispbread in the morning and the ryvita at lunch are the next steps, while for now I have focused on less-to-no carb dinners, and walking more. (As well cutting out the obvious candy, cake, potato crisps etc.) It must be the effect of a loooooong work week making me so anxious when I really should know better.

Reactions: Ronni.p and Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are doing fine.. to get such low numbers after a month is great. I'm assuming that you are an unmedicated Type 2?
It really helps if you complete your profile then it becomes much easier for the rest of us to see what you are about rather than having to make assumptions or keep asking...

Reactions: Freema

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The bacon and eggs wouldn't have raised your BG as they are very low carb. It was most likely the bread that pushed things up. A post-prandial BG of under 8.5 is good and within NICE guidelines.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is unlikely that the fat increased your BG level at two hours, far more likely that it was a consequence of the progress of your digestion and absorption of the bread.

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Thanks for the reminder! I tried to sign up with another nick previously, but the email addy didn't work with the forum. I couldn't get the confirmation email, so while I could log in and set up my profile, I couldn't post. I had to abandon that identity and try again.

Yes, I am a 41-year old no meds type 2, diagnosed, I think, very early. My HbA1c before Christmas was 6.3%, and in January it was 6.6%. My hope is that it was caught early, anyway, because that would mean I haven't had prolonged exposure to high BG levels. Here's to hoping, I guess.

Reactions: bulkbiker

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@miahara and @Resurgam, yeah, I meant that the fat delayed the spike. Usually I am back to "normal" levels at 2hrs, and so I don't often have to measure at 3hrs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are extremely good and nothing to be worried about at all. NICE recommend under 8.5 at all times for Type 2s, but many of us think that is too generous and that an absolute maximum target should be under 7.8, but less if you can. We tend to set our own targets, and it isn't good practice to compare yourself with others. Our metabolisms are all different, many are on medication to help, others are very strict with carbs which doesn't suit us all.

My personal target is 4 to 7 and most of the time I manage it, but I am a lot further down the line than you (3 years now) I am quite content to be in the low to mid 6s up to 2 and a half hours or thereabouts. Just set your own targets and be happy when you beat them.

The more fat you eat, the lower your peak will be but the longer it will take to return to where you started. It will be a gentle rise and gentle fall rather than sharp. This is better for you.