Good News

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had 2 bits of good news:

Annual HbA1c came back as 30 (4.9 in old money)
Annual eye examination came back as OK (last year some background retinopathy)

The only flag was total cholesterol at 6.2. There was no breakdown which I hope to get when I see the PN in 2 weeks as I am really only concerned about triglycerides.

All done with LCHF (cheated a bit over Christmas) and metformin.

Regards

Bluebell

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic news, very well done!

Reactions: dbr10

Diane60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. My check up is next month...hoping to be improved too. It’s great to see it can be done.

Can I ask about Metformin. How much do you take and was there a discussion about reducing this?
Just getting info prepared for my next visit

Reactions: Prem51

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
brilliant news, thanks for sharing it with us - great to hear that there's hope for all of us!

Reactions: Prem51

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done. My check up is next month...hoping to be improved too. It’s great to see it can be done.

Can I ask about Metformin. How much do you take and was there a discussion about reducing this?
Just getting info prepared for my next visit

2 of 500mg SR per day.

I'll let you know how it goes when I see the PN however, I tolerate the SR well and will argue to keep the dosage as the OTT I had shows that I am still diabetic despite these results. My rationale is that there is evidence that metformin can help reduce insulin resisitance over time and is in any case heart protective.

Regards

Bluebell

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw the PN today and had a long box ticking interview. Unfortunately they had not done a full lipid panel as requested and the lab had disposed of the sample. After some discussion, more blood was taken (luckily IF is part of what I do) and I should get the results next week. All I know at the moment is that total cholesterol is 6.2 and HDL is 1.8.

Regards

Bluebell

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another year and another review.

Annual HbA1c came back as 31 (5.0 in old money) up from 30 last year - no concern.
Annual eye examination came back as clear. Still no return of the background retinopathy.

PN was concerned about the lipid panel:
Total cholesterol 6.6
Triglyceride 1.21
HDL 1.9 Higher than Triglycerides so I am happy with that.
LDL 4.2 I have read that this is calculated rather than measured and may be wrong for LCHF. Comments?
Total C/HDL 3.5 Lower than 4 so I am happy with that.

Doctor had told her that she wanted to increase my statin prescription and was a bit put out when I told her that I wasn't taking them. Also wanted to reduce my metformin. After some discussion during which I went through the whole LCHF thing, showed her my charts with high BG first thing in the morning (still not handling the liver dump) and talked about BG results in excess of 11 after a high carb meal (Christmas dinner - oops!) she accepted everything, agreed no change to the prescription and called me a "good patient". Just have to see if the doctor agrees!

Regards

Bluebell