Good Time for a Doctor's Appointment?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the local surgery today to have my 6 month blood test. The normally crowded waiting room was completely empty and I saw the nurse immediately, which is unheard of. I asked her why she didn't have any customers and she said that she assumed nobody wanted to run the risk of mixing with others who might have the Corona Virus. This despite the big notice outside saying "If you might have Corona Virus don't even think of setting foot inside, ring 111" .
It occurs to me that those who usually find it difficult to make an appointment, for diabetes or other non-Corona Virus illnesses would find it much easier at the moment.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the local surgery today to have my 6 month blood test. The normally crowded waiting room was completely empty and I saw the nurse immediately, which is unheard of. I asked her why she didn't have any customers and she said that she assumed nobody wanted to run the risk of mixing with others who might have the Corona Virus. This despite the big notice outside saying "If you might have Corona Virus don't even think of setting foot inside, ring 111" .
It occurs to me that those who usually find it difficult to make an appointment, for diabetes or other non-Corona Virus illnesses would find it much easier at the moment.
Haha! I decided the other day that my blood test (in a crowded hospital) and its results (with a tiny little waiting room tossed in for good measure) could wait. April or May is soon enough for me, thanks. ;) At the same time I'm seeing photo's of a deserted Venice. By the time we go there in September it'll probably be its usual overcrowded self, but right now it is absolutely empty, save for a few brave souls with masks on. I'd love to get over there and photograh the place, but like with the HbA1c and whatnot... Not worth the risk to me, right now. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What makes the corona virus so dangerous is that it is passed on before any symptoms can be detected - that is what will spread it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And of course there are now two strains as it has mutated and both strains are circulating.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Similar story here @Mr_Pot
Early slot for vaccinations for holiday
Big sign on virus.
Waiting room empty
Finished appointment.
Two routes out through waiting area.
Only one in waiting room
Lady sat at top of usual route clearly having heavy cold......yep, I avoided her and took other route because of that.

We are All going to need to go see GP's at some point.. Now 'would' seen a good time, indeed.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
What makes the corona virus so dangerous is that it is passed on before any symptoms can be detected

That's like a lot of viruses, chicken pox for instance.

One thing I'm curious about, I have a healthy attitude to washing hands frequently, as I deal with people suffering from MS, I have to be. I just wonder why an antibacterial is specially mentioned because of this virus. At least it will kill any bacteria.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love that as I have a clinic appointment next week. Apparently CoVid is also doing Greta T's work by stopping Chinese factories from belching out pollution. This is starting to feel like an old testament style rebuke to us horrible humans. At this remove it is somewhat amusing to watch the mild hysteria and panic buying of loo roll etc!

Reactions: KK123

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
At this remove it is somewhat amusing to watch the mild hysteria and panic buying of loo roll etc!

You can now base your IQ on..........how many toilet rolls you have...... 150 minus any toilet rolls :hilarious::hilarious:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's like a lot of viruses, chicken pox for instance.

One thing I'm curious about, I have a healthy attitude to washing hands frequently, as I deal with people suffering from MS, I have to be. I just wonder why an antibacterial is specially mentioned because of this virus. At least it will kill any bacteria.
I forget which particular academic explained it but he said....
The virus has an outer layer which is oil based and hand sanitizers based on alcohol dissolve this layer. Soap and hot water do the same thing more effectively but sanitizers are portable. Antibacterials do not kill viruses so are probably no use in this case.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can now base your IQ on..........how many toilet rolls you have...... 150 minus any toilet rolls :hilarious::hilarious:
Apparently drinking Corona beer gives you a 50% increased risk of acquiring the virus too but you can mitigate the risk by washing your hands in neat vodka.

mouseee

I forget which particular academic explained it but he said....
The virus has an outer layer which is oil based and hand sanitizers based on alcohol dissolve this layer. Soap and hot water do the same thing more effectively but sanitizers are portable. Antibacterials do not kill viruses so are probably no use in this case.
I also think, although rather cynically, that people who are too lazy to wash hands are likely to use a hand sanitizer as it's easier and quicker so at least they are likely to do something rather than nothing.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just went into the local hospital to pick Judith up from work inside the door was a hand sanitizer dispenser plainly labeled antiviral disinfectant I watched as about ten people just walked past it I think I was the only one who used it while I was there.

edit to add
Wife has been told as soon as the virus hits the hospital all outpatients appointments will be cancelled so that does not bode well for any of us with upcoming appointments or referrals.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just went into the local hospital to pick Judith up from work inside the door was a hand sanitizer dispenser plainly labeled antiviral disinfectant I watched as about ten people just walked past it I think I was the only one who used it while I was there.

exactly the same thing happened when I went into my doc surgery this week.
I was also astonished to see the staff ignoring the hand sanitisers too, and members of the public sitting in the waiting room in a cluster. The room has at least 50 seats, yet people came in and chose to sit in a cluster within 6 feet of each other, instead of spreading out.

Oh well, their choice. I just figure that people sitting in a doc’s surgery are more likely to be vulnerable to disease, so would benefit most from using basic common sense.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wife has been told as soon as the virus hits the hospital all outpatients appointments will be cancelled so that does not bode well for any of us with upcoming appointments or referrals.

Interesting. There has been a case at my local hospital (someone decided to take themselves there in an Uber) but outpatient appointments are still going ahead, so obviously no consistent policy.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes

Went down for yearly eye test the other day. Brilliant. Wish it was always this empty. They were calling out names with no response.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-26 at 13.44.24.jpeg

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And yet people are rushing to crowded supermarkets to panic buy their toilet rolls , tins of beans and tins of tomatoes.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also think, although rather cynically, that people who are too lazy to wash hands are likely to use a hand sanitizer as it's easier and quicker so at least they are likely to do something rather than nothing.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but a great example for the above.
IMG_5069.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Properly washed hands with soap and water is the way to go this is where I miss my sadly defunct gas boiler washing hands every morning with cold water is decidedly uncomfortable.

And I definitely am not going to wash my hands with my 12 year old malt.