got my eye screening results :(

roxy44

Hi Friends.

there i am 2 months into being told i have diabetes, type 2 D&E,

got my results and told i have background retinopothy :shock: :(

its knocked me off my feet!!, not to mention scared me to death,

my blood pressure is good, my cholestrol was 4.6, hba1c was 7 on dx,

i thought i would walk it!! how wrong was i :roll:

and to honest i dont really know what it means!!!
does it mean it will progress with time?,

was already feeling fed up cos my weight it taking ages to come down, even though i am doing the SW diet, and swimming twice a week, going later infact

any wise words from anyone would be gratefully recieved,
xxxxxxxxxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Roxy,

'Background Retinopathy' means just that, it may/may not progress and I'm afraid no one can honestly say either way. All you can is keep maintaining good diabetes control and watch your bp and cholesterol levels as you are doing now, I was told that eating fruit and vegetables that were dark in colour were beneficial to eye health and there are supplements available although I cannot say if they are effective or not.

Try not to worry and with luck your eyes will remain stable from here on!

Nigel

roxy44

thanx so much nigel, so in short i dont actually have retinopathy? its there in the backround?
and might never suface?

if so why didnt they just say that!! instead of scaring the living daylights out of me!!

thanx xx

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Roxy background retinopaphy can be anything from one haemorrhage upwards and it is caused by running too high bg levels often prior to diagnosis or again often when high bg levels are brought down too swiftly as happened with me, whether my background retinopaphy was caused prior to diagnosis or when my numbers were stabilised I'll never know as I wasnt tested until after I had my bg under control.

The second year there was no change in my condition but this year I was told it was clear and that I had no retinopaphy so it would seem that in some cases at least mild or background retinopathy can be reversed.

Speak to your doctor opthalmist or whatever they are called and ask how bad/advanced your retinopathy is and ask their opinion of whether it can be repaired naturally if your bg levels are controlled.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya roxy, yep it can scare you, it did me ! was told have ruebella and diabetic retinopathy [both] have to keep on a tight green vegetable n salads diet all the dark green vegs like spinach, kale,brocolli,cabbage,corgettes etc... learnt to turn these into tasty soups stews casseroles...these are high in vitamins n proteins n antioxidants all that protect n ward off any deterioation. So it is a wise move to add these to our diets.Plus get the BS readings down to as low as possible. it is macular and retina changes at the camera lenses at the back of eye. our eyes are like the lenses , the rear of a camera whatever we look at, the retina picks it up n reflects it through to us. With high blood sugar levels it causes swelling up n down in this lense making things fuzzy n blurry as we veiw the world. I was told it can take years to develop into anything 'serious' [ I was at the time up out of chair n panicking ]told take the best care of myself n keep to living n eating as healthily as I possibly could. Oh and was told you havent any bleeds behind the eyes n thats when you have a problem. I also take ICAPS daily to help maintain good healthy eyes. My GP agreed to include these as a prescription for me, hope this helps you feel better , you have done so well and made great progress with good results with your diet weight loss n excersise regime, keep going and dont let this drag you down. Anna.x :)

roxy44

thanx so much for your replies they have helped so much, thanx for the link louise,

sid i will give them a ring i think,

anna, thanx again, was the meds for your eye a supplement? and if so where did you 1st get them?
thanx again xxxx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, roxy... yes u must ring them n ask to be put clearer in the picture. I am under 2 eye consultants at 2 different hospitals see one twice yearly n other every 3-4 months. He gave me the supplements vitamins n minerals n antioxidants to help, theyre expensive to buy but my GP agreed to add them to my scriptions. Have you been for a swim today yet? Anna.x :)

roxy44

Hi Anna, yes i've been for my swim...not sure if i can keep it up though :(

i thought it was coincidence but seems not, it makes me sneeze really bad for the rest of the day :shock:

so i'm i'm all bunged up now,...i cant win!!

i will be going again thursday and see what happens then and decide....i feel sad if i have to stop, but this bunged up feeling ans sneezing makes me misserable, i thought it was hayfever which i have at times when the pollen is high,

i really enjoyed it too,i did aerobics in the water as well as swim, xx

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
8) 8) Hi Roxy44, got to have my retinaopathy test yet, I was told today it may be another 3 weeks. Thanks for your post, I will try not to be worried now. I know what to ask about now. :roll:

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Sorry to hear that news but good that others know it's not as bad as it sounds, I think if things were given shorter names they wouldn't seem so scary sounding! Sounds like keeping up the good work means this wont be a problem.