Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Starshine

Hello Starshine and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Starshine

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree too on the mushrooms :) I enjoy the eating breakfast at hotels because they generally have cooked stuff that I can eat and don't have to prepare myself. I have no inclination in the mornings to do anything other than steer myself towards the coffee maker, which is my downfall as I otherwise love this low carb freedom of breakfasts involving eggs, bacon, sausages, spinach, smoked salmon, mushrooms being good for me.

Good luck with your T2 journey, and this forum is really helpful for any questions, however big or small, mushrooms or no mushrooms!

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve decided I’m going to forget all the knowledge I thought I knew and learn things afresh for myself. It’s different when you are on the other side

See - you have already started to think differently :)
You seem to master positive thinking - with this and carb-control, you will get far...

Starshine

@Starshine

Hello Starshine and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Oh this is amazing thank you...I’m sure I will refer to this again and again over the next few days x

Starshine

Thanks for the nudge @xfieldok

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Are there any lancets that are better than others? I’m a wimp...must have used needles on thousands of patients over the years, but when it comes to me

Starshine

See - you have already started to think differently :)
You seem to master positive thinking - with this and carb-control, you will get far...

Despite this set back I’m a positive person I will get my head round all this and remain happy and very healthy (eventually )

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any lancets that are better than others? I’m a wimp...must have used needles on thousands of patients over the years, but when it comes to me
Sharp clean ones. I have an accuchek one that has a barrel with 6 in then you dispose of this barrel for a new one. No sharp bits to worry about unless fired. Someone will know the name of it, it’s very common. I change mine each day for economy. It’s supposed to be each test. Others change weekly or when they remember or when it starts to hurt! I was in the last group until I got cellulitis in my right thumb. (I know I know shouldn’t do thumbs and certainly not mid pad where I did it then went in a spa!!!). Ouch.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the CodeFree and bought extra lancets, I am quite happy with them.

As a former HCP you may want to sit down for the next bit.

We generally reuse our lancets!!!!!!

I only change mine when they get blunt.

Start by using the lowest setting, increasing the setting until you find the right level for you. Don't prick the finger tip. You should prick the side of your finger near to the nail. You will find your favourite sites by trial and error.

It shouldn't hurt. Ok sometimes maybe, but on the whole, it doesn't.

Reactions: Starshine and HSSS

Starshine

I use the CodeFree and bought extra lancets, I am quite happy with them.

As a former HCP you may want to sit down for the next bit.

We generally reuse our lancets!!!!!!

I only change mine when they get blunt.

Start by using the lowest setting, increasing the setting until you find the right level for you. Don't prick the finger tip. You should prick the side of your finger near to the nail. You will find your favourite sites by trial and error.

It shouldn't hurt. Ok sometimes maybe, but on the whole, it doesn't.

Brilliant, thanks for the advice

Reactions: xfieldok

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a musician and only use lancets once except on very rare occasions when it will be only a few hours before the next test - but then I throw them away. I never have any residual pain in my fingertips, and normally could not tell you which finger I had used a minute after testing.
I have no problems eating at hotels where there is a breakfast buffet style service - every sort of eggs, bacon, sometimes sausages if they look to be meaty rather than loads of bran, and then mushrooms, tomatoes and anything else low carb. In the evening I just ask for extra salad or low carb veges to replace the high carb options.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Starshine - Don't get stressed about hotel eating, but maybe in the early day and weeks try to keep it pretty simple, until you get your head around things.

For evening meals, maybe consider roasts or steaks and lots of veg.

Are you in the same hotels each week, visiting the same locations, or are you all over the place? Most hotel chains (assuming you do use chains) have their menus and sample menus online, so you can take your time deciding what you might want to eat.

If you're actually in the same hotel, or hotels, you may have a bit of a relationship with them, and they may flex things a bit to what you want or need.

You'll get there.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sharp clean ones. I have an accuchek one that has a barrel with 6 in then you dispose of this barrel for a new one. No sharp bits to worry about unless fired. Someone will know the name of it, it’s very common.
That's the Accu-Chek Fastclix. I use that too as I didn't like the either of stabbing my fingers and this sounded like the least painful option. I only change the lancet needle every 50 tests, sometimes more.

Screenshot 2018-10-11 at 16.35.19.png

Starshine

@Starshine - Don't get stressed about hotel eating, but maybe in the early day and weeks try to keep it pretty simple, until you get your head around things.

For evening meals, maybe consider roasts or steaks and lots of veg.

Are you in the same hotels each week, visiting the same locations, or are you all over the place? Most hotel chains (assuming you do use chains) have their menus and sample menus online, so you can take your time deciding what you might want to eat.

If you're actually in the same hotel, or hotels, you may have a bit of a relationship with them, and they may flex things a bit to what you want or need.

You'll get there.

I’m pretty much all over the place to be honest as I have a national role, but determined to make it work.

Reactions: JONATHAN MARK

Starshine

I’ve just had a conversation with the GP receptionist, the next diabetes nurse appointment is in December I’ve decided to go and see my GP, especially as the appointment is so far away.

Reactions: Prem51

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Starshine I recommend you read the Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung. He also does YouTube videos. You can get the book on Kindle.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m pretty much all over the place to be honest as I have a national role, but determined to make it work.

You'll be fine. We have ways of picking our way through these challenges. There are plenty of people here want to see you succeed and will try to help you along the way.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Starshine as a state registered nurse you probably know more about diabetes than the average GP, particularly now that you have joined our ranks. You understand the shock of diagnosis, the denial, the sadness, the fear of needles and testing, the bewilderment over conflicting advice and the wanting to do something but not being sure what that something should be. Your meter will become your best friend, cut out the carbs, try to increase exercise and you will lose weight. It may be slower than you would like but it will be gradual, allow your body to adjust to the new you and be easy to slow as you reach a target weight. Patience is a talent that we learn as diabetics, we play a long game not going for quick results.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Laughing about the lancet fear! I virtually never change mine! I have to do ‘deep’ setting, as also have blood clotting disorder and need big drop of blood in fairly short time, to check clotting, use the sides of fingers not the tips (fat pads) there are very few nerve endings and it’s hardly painful at all! Trying to resist the urge to say “Just man up!” It’s nowhere near as painful as, say, accidentally biting your cheek! Or stubbing your toe! Come on girl, you can do this!

Geoffno6

Laughing about the lancet fear! I virtually never change mine! I have to do ‘deep’ setting, as also have blood clotting disorder and need big drop of blood in fairly short time, to check clotting, use the sides of fingers not the tips (fat pads) there are very few nerve endings and it’s hardly painful at all! Trying to resist the urge to say “Just man up!” It’s nowhere near as painful as, say, accidentally biting your cheek! Or stubbing your toe! Come on girl, you can do this!

Love the cheek biting toe stubbing analogies, they are both soooo painful though