Got my second results back...diagnosed Type 2

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 I note that your footnotes say that you feel exhausted all the time, are you getting enough salt? We use natural unfiltered, grey sea salt, full of many other minerals as well as Sodium, and we use it liberally. It doesn’t actually taste nearly as ‘salty’ as refined salt, so your food does not end up too salty.

Salt restriction is another of the things that was recommended for all of us, but more recent research has demonstrated that for the vast majority of us salt is actually beneficial to health.

When you severely restrict carbs it is a natural dietetic and you lose Sodium. If you don’t replace it you will feel tired.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 I note that your footnotes say that you feel exhausted all the time, are you getting enough salt? We use natural unfiltered, grey sea salt, full of many other minerals as well as Sodium, and we use it liberally. It doesn’t actually taste nearly as ‘salty’ as refined salt, so your food does not end up too salty.

Salt restriction is another of the things that was recommended for all of us, but more recent research has demonstrated that for the vast majority of us salt is actually beneficial to health.

When you severely restrict carbs it is a natural dietetic and you lose Sodium. If you don’t replace it you will feel tired.
Thanks, but yes. I use Lo Salt in order to keep a balance between sodium and potassium, as my intake of potassium has fallen drastically since I have been limiting vegetables. I do notice that whereas in the past I was happy with a very low-salt diet, nowadays I seem to crave salt. I know cravings can be bad guides, but in this case I give my appetite for salt full-rein. I also eat quantities of cheese, which of course contains lots of salt.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 if you hadn’t seen the American guidelines just the U.K. and WHO would you still have attributed your health condition to prediabetes and in your words “LADA in waiting”? As opposed to a natural aging process, very low bmi or other reasons perhaps?

Does your perceived lack of progress in lowering hb1ac cause more stress and act as a counterproductive factor? In my humble opinion I think you have much more awareness of your health, fitness and well-being than many of your generation and should perhaps not be quite so tough on yourself.

You mentioned exhaustion. As well as electrolytes this could be lack of fats or even something like low vit d or b12 both of which drop as we age. Would digestive enzymes assist with the slow stomach which is a possible cause of the reflux. They too decline with age and sometimes a boost helps. If you haven’t already these may be worth considering.

Reactions: Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry guys, and in particular to @Starshine . I'm acutely aware that I rather derailed this thread, by my comment to @Alexandra100 , but could we please focus on the OP?

Again, Mea Culpa on this one.

Reactions: Starshine