Got my second results back...diagnosed Type 2

Starshine

So here I am...I promised i would share my results when they available. I’ve been skulking around the forums here for two weeks

I had a second round of bloods last week after my initial HbA1c (I was told I needed two test to diagnose). My first result was 57 and the one last week was 59. I only spoke to a receptionist, and she informed me there weren’t any appointments in the near future with the Diabetic nurse!! There is no way they are telling me over the phone and then not giving me an appointment. I will ring for a GP appointment on Friday morning.

I’m feeling strange about it all (I am a registered nurse and have been for 31 years) maybe I know too much and that’s what’s making me feel down. I feel as though I should have known better. I guess I feel guilty and ashamed.

I feel as though I should have seen it coming with my family history of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
But it is what it is....on a positive note the receptionist said....your renal function tests are normal. So something to be happy about.

I need a radical overhaul, I’ve been reading all about low carb eating here, but I wonder if anyone has any experience of using fluid replacement to get some weight off quickly? I’ve 4 stone to lose

At least all the waiting is now over, would appreciate any help and advice

Thank you so much for reading my post xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Starshine, sorry to hear of your diagnosis but rest assured we can help you while you wait for your surgery to get their act together for you. I retired from nursing 9 months before my diagnosis, I was shocked at how little I really knew about diabetes. You’ll learn all you need to here, but memories of very poorly controlled diabetes patients with all their complications helps keep me determined not to go down that route too.
I control my blood sugars by eating low carb, now under 50g/day, I started at under 100g/day. I also take Metformin, but less now than at the beginning. I have lost six stones, easily, on low carb. I’ve maintained my HbA1c at non-diabetic levels for a year now.
Incase you haven’t had @daisy1 ’s helpful info post, there she’s tagged so she’ll post it soon.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don’t need to be in a massive hurry, trust me! Yes, the Very Low Calorie meal replacements work for rapid weight loss, but the most important thing is normalising blood glucose. As I see it, though I know I am biased, the problem with meal replacements / massive weight loss, is you then go back to introducing food.

Just do Low Carb High Fat from the outset. It will normalise your blood glucose quickly then after that you will gradually and healthily lose weight. It will go against everything you were ever taught / think you know / have experienced - but just try it! 6 years ago I (a health professional, I was a Radiographer) had screamingly high BP, AF, GERD, was 100kg. Not sure what HbA1c was at that time. Within weeks of LCHF my BP had normalised, AF completely disappeared, GERD gone for good, Omeprazole a thing of the past. I am now 70kg, healthier than I have been for 10 years and a LCHF ‘lifer’. Just eat real food, prepared from scratch, food your grandmother prepared, and skip the bread and potatoes! It’s easy, honestly, and will work for life!

Starshine

Hi Starshine, sorry to hear of your diagnosis but rest assured we can help you while you wait for your surgery to get their act together for you. I retired from nursing 9 months before my diagnosis, I was shocked at how little I really knew about diabetes. You’ll learn all you need to here, but memories of very poorly controlled diabetes patients with all their complications helps keep me determined not to go down that route too.
I control my blood sugars by eating low carb, now under 50g/day, I started at under 100g/day. I also take Metformin, but less now than at the beginning. I have lost six stones, easily, on low carb. I’ve maintained my HbA1c at non-diabetic levels for a year now.
Incase you haven’t had @daisy1 ’s helpful info post, there she’s tagged so she’ll post it soon.

Thank you, it’s great to hear how you got things under control...gives me hope

Starshine

You don’t need to be in a massive hurry, trust me! Yes, the Very Low Calorie meal replacements work for rapid weight loss, but the most important thing is normalising blood glucose. As I see it, though I know I am biased, the problem with meal replacements / massive weight loss, is you then go back to introducing food.

Just do Low Carb High Fat from the outset. It will normalise your blood glucose quickly then after that you will gradually and healthily lose weight. It will go against everything you were ever taught / think you know / have experienced - but just try it! 6 years ago I (a health professional, I was a Radiographer) had screamingly high BP, AF, GERD, was 100kg. Not sure what HbA1c was at that time. Within weeks of LCHF my BP had normalised, AF completely disappeared, GERD gone for good, Omeprazole a thing of the past. I am now 70kg, healthier than I have been for 10 years and a LCHF ‘lifer’. Just eat real food, prepared from scratch, food your grandmother prepared, and skip the bread and potatoes! It’s easy, honestly, and will work for life!

I think it will take a little time to sort my meals, I stay in hotels with work a couple of nights a week. I’m in a hotel tonight...guess it’s eggs and bacon at least for breakfast in the morning

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I feel guilty and ashamed.
Please don't feel guilty or ashamed for having a mucked up metabolism!
I’m feeling strange about it all (I am a registered nurse and have been for 31 years) maybe I know too much
You might find you don't know nearly as much as you think! As a whole, the people on this forum found that many RN's, GP's, dieticians and even endocrinologists know less than they think. On this forum, you might find that many members have proven diabetes isn't progressive, despite their HCP's telling them otherwise.
Also, as a RN, it's likely that you encountered the worst cases of diabetics in your job. Most of us won't have a reason to see a RN.
Anyone tagged @daisy1 yet? She'll post a bunch of usefull information on this thread.
Good luck!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @Starshine
As others have mentioned you should not fel guilty or ashamed. Though I do understand. I felt that way when diagnosed, too.
If you are interested in meal replacement very low calorie diets, then have a read of this...

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/2018 Diabetes reversal info.pdf

Although if you do decide to go down that route it is essential to have a follow on plan. Low carb way of eating is not that difficult, and relacing carbs with fats offers delicious and satiating meals with the bonus of lower blood glucose levels. Some people would advocate going straight to low carb rather than very low calorie. I possibly would have too had I known about low carbing when newly diagnosed.

Keep reading, and asking questions. We all learn from each other.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. It seems that it matters little what your profession is/was you have just one individual to treat now, yourself. Be kind to yourself, get to know how Diabetes makes your metabolism go bonkers and work on making it work a little more efficiently. Ask loads of questions, the more the better!

Geoffno6

So here I am...I promised i would share my results when they available. I’ve been skulking around the forums here for two weeks

I had a second round of bloods last week after my initial HbA1c (I was told I needed two test to diagnose). My first result was 57 and the one last week was 59. I only spoke to a receptionist, and she informed me there weren’t any appointments in the near future with the Diabetic nurse!! There is no way they are telling me over the phone and then not giving me an appointment. I will ring for a GP appointment on Friday morning.

I’m feeling strange about it all (I am a registered nurse and have been for 31 years) maybe I know too much and that’s what’s making me feel down. I feel as though I should have known better. I guess I feel guilty and ashamed.

I feel as though I should have seen it coming with my family history of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
But it is what it is....on a positive note the receptionist said....your renal function tests are normal. So something to be happy about.

I need a radical overhaul, I’ve been reading all about low carb eating here, but I wonder if anyone has any experience of using fluid replacement to get some weight off quickly? I’ve 4 stone to lose

Hi @Starshine welcome to the forum. If it helps, your numbers aren’t scary but I guess they’ll go scary if you carry on with your current lifestyle. There’s no point in repeating the advice the guys have already given you, all based on a pretty much common experience amongst us on the forum so I’ll just say good luck and do ask questions, lots of us love questions :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi starshine, sorry about the dx but you found us and that is the most important thing. Although you don't have an eyewatering HbA1c, it is too high but you can bring it down pretty quickly. Go LCHF, get yourself a meter, @Rachox will point you in the right direction.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry to hear your diagnosis. It it’s not hopeless. You can be in control of it. The wonderful people in here prove that.

I echo pretty much all the above. As for being in a hotel until you get a chance to get your head around lchf I’d stick the meat and fish with extra veg or salad to replace the potatoes pasta and rice. Ask for sauces on the side and go for creamy cheese ones. BBQ will have lots of carbs. Ditch the bread and cereals at breakfast and have eggs any and every way. Use berries as a dessert with cream. Have your fill of cheeses, butter, cream etc to replace the energy from carbs you’re used to. Everywhere I’ve eaten out has been fine about making simple swaps.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the nudge @xfieldok

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but you will be okay. I realise you've seen a lot of what goes wrong with uncontrolled T2, but that doesn't have to happen to you, at all. And as others stated; no kicking yourself around. Genetic predisposition means this would've come at you sooner or later, and irregular hours probably didn't help. As for hotel food, bacon and eggs, maybe sausages and mushrooms for breakfast if available. Restaurants will replace rice, potatoes and pasta with veggies or salad if you ask them. Leave bread off the menu and you're all good. Your numbers aren't extremely high, so you can get those down with just a few adjustments, I'm sure. You've got this.
Good luck!
Jo

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome, there is nothing new for me to add to all the wonderful helpful posts above so I will just say, please don’t worry and try not to feel guilty, it’s your body that has let you down, it’s not your fault. It will take a bit of time to re educate yourself, you will get quizzical looks from people when they see you pouring cream in your coffee, cooking things in butter etc etc but it works and once started becomes easier.
Like many of us here I have regained normal blood sugar levels which I am maintaining and as a massive plus lost almost 5 stone without trying, all achieved in less than a year so, take heart, it can be done.
You will find lots of support and motivation here all you need to do is ask your questions of which there will be many, good luck, you can do this.

Reactions: Prem51

Starshine

Hi starshine, sorry about the dx but you found us and that is the most important thing. Although you don't have an eyewatering HbA1c, it is too high but you can bring it down pretty quickly. Go LCHF, get yourself a meter, @Rachox will point you in the right direction.

That’s great news

Starshine

Please don't feel guilty or ashamed for having a mucked up metabolism!

You might find you don't know nearly as much as you think! As a whole, the people on this forum found that many RN's, GP's, dieticians and even endocrinologists know less than they think. On this forum, you might find that many members have proven diabetes isn't progressive, despite their HCP's telling them otherwise.
Also, as a RN, it's likely that you encountered the worst cases of diabetics in your job. Most of us won't have a reason to see a RN.
Anyone tagged @daisy1 yet? She'll post a bunch of usefull information on this thread.
Good luck!

I’ve decided I’m going to forget all the knowledge I thought I knew and learn things afresh for myself. It’s different when you are on the other side

Starshine

Hi, sorry to hear your diagnosis. It it’s not hopeless. You can be in control of it. The wonderful people in here prove that.

I echo pretty much all the above. As for being in a hotel until you get a chance to get your head around lchf I’d stick the meat and fish with extra veg or salad to replace the potatoes pasta and rice. Ask for sauces on the side and go for creamy cheese ones. BBQ will have lots of carbs. Ditch the bread and cereals at breakfast and have eggs any and every way. Use berries as a dessert with cream. Have your fill of cheeses, butter, cream etc to replace the energy from carbs you’re used to. Everywhere I’ve eaten out has been fine about making simple swaps.

Thank you sooo much, this is really helpful. I’m at breakfast now in a hotel and I’m having eggs and bacon and a few mushrooms....think that’s ok? Although not sure about the mushrooms. Feel so guilty having eggs and bacon

Starshine

I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but you will be okay. I realise you've seen a lot of what goes wrong with uncontrolled T2, but that doesn't have to happen to you, at all. And as others stated; no kicking yourself around. Genetic predisposition means this would've come at you sooner or later, and irregular hours probably didn't help. As for hotel food, bacon and eggs, maybe sausages and mushrooms for breakfast if available. Restaurants will replace rice, potatoes and pasta with veggies or salad if you ask them. Leave bread off the menu and you're all good. Your numbers aren't extremely high, so you can get those down with just a few adjustments, I'm sure. You've got this.
Good luck!
Jo

I’m taking screenshots of all the food suggestions thank you

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Starshine

Thanks for the nudge @xfieldok

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Thank you, I will definitely be getting a meter...knowledge I power right?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed! Knowledge is power.

And I want to repeat what the others have said - having type 2 nowadays is a v different thing from previous decades.
Whereas before people just took the pills and ate normally, and progressively deteriorated, because it is a progressive condition, don'tcha know. Now we have a choice. We can do out own research, and learn about carbs and insulin and insulin resistance, and the knock on effects on eyes, kidneys, nervous system, and the consequences of high blood glucose. We can adjust our diets by eating to our meter, and controlling carbs. We can understand that blood glucose trumps weight control every time. And we can halt the progression, and sometimes even reverse it.

We are very very lucky compared with previous generations. :)