Gotta love a gadget...

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually - now I think about it - there is a soda stream under the sink, from when the young'uns were at home.
I wonder if you can still get the gas cylinders.
I have a soda stream to carbonate filtered water. Works great. But.... it is now relegated to the appliance graveyard in the utility room because it’s a cheat. The CO2 cylinders it comes with are full and last well and produce nice fizzy results. The replacement ones, on the other hand, are not so great - they don’t last as long and because the pressure in them drops quickly they don’t produce the same fizz, except right at the start.

This has been observed independently by both me and a friend. And while the thing works, I feel ripped off so nope, no more soda stream cartridge for me.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I have recently brought myself a breville smart oven air fryer and have used the air fryer a few times but it's not really crispy as I like them any tricks to get chicken wings crunchier I use the baking soda and salt method .. but does work a treat when baking foods saves me turning on my oven that has become extremely noisy to use and needs replacing when I get my kitchen renovated hopefully this year. Hoping to cook quails tomorrow for dinner but most likely be baking. I don't normally bake quails my go to is to BBQ them so hopefully they will turn out.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and I really do!

This Black Friday a Ninja Foodi Grill and Air Fryer fell into my basket.

And it is a triumph! I always feel a bit guilty about putting the big oven on to cook a piece of chicken, roast some veggies, cook sausages etc etc, but this thing is excellent! Did some lamb chops (my lifelong favourite) on the grill feature and they came out perfectly with the fat cooked to crispy, chin-dribbling perfection and the meat pink and juicy, with no spattered grease or lamby fumes hanging around the kitchen.

Air fried sausages are amazing, brown and crisp and juicy. I am experimenting with air fried ‘breaded’ southern-fried chicken- still a work in progress to get the coating right, but it shows promise. Air fried plain chicken pieces tonight, I am looking forward to it...

The thing cleans up very quickly and easily too.

No affiliation to Ninja, just pleased with my purchase. Anything which makes cooking simpler is good, in my opinion, especially if it lets me change things up a bit with the way I cook my protein sources. A bit more variety is nice!

I have just purchased the Ninja air fryer & grill and am currently experimenting. So far so (very) good but I am now thinking about types of marinade to go on the meat mainly, I'm a bit lazy so if anyone knows any shop bought yummy marinades/bbq type sauces, let me know! (Not overly concerned about carbs because I would prob use a small amount etc).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just purchased the Ninja air fryer & grill and am currently experimenting. So far so (very) good but I am now thinking about types of marinade to go on the meat mainly, I'm a bit lazy so if anyone knows any shop bought yummy marinades/bbq type sauces, let me know! (Not overly concerned about carbs because I would prob use a small amount etc).

Not marinades, but I’ve started using herb/spice rubs on quite a lot of the meat I eat. Morrison’s finest (or whatever they call the ‘posh’ stuff) has an excellent chilli oil and I’ve just bought a few ready mixed things from these guys: https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/ - peri peri, lemon salt, lemon pepper

And a few others from here: https://justingredients.co.uk/

There may be marinades too, but I wasn’t looking for them.

Reactions: KK123

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yoghurt with lemon juice or a little vinegar, plus spices of your choice is pretty instant. I am a convert to garlic granules, so much easier for quick zhuzhing up of meat, mid-week. You can buy pre-made spice blends like tandoori or a bit of garam masala and just bung into the yoghurt.

For air-fried veggies, just some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic granules and maybe some dried herbs is nice. Or a bit of cajun spice is good too.

I find olive oil doesn’t smoke, whatever the manual says!

Oh and just to repeat myself, cos it’s that good, I did lamb chops on the grill setting last night and it does epic lamb chops. The fat goes all brown and crispy and the meat stays pink and juicy.

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you SO much to @Goonergal and @TeddyTottie, I will post my successes (and the not so successful). It cooks the meat fabulously so now I want to jazz it up a bit. x