Gotta love a gadget...

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh and I really do!

This Black Friday a Ninja Foodi Grill and Air Fryer fell into my basket.

And it is a triumph! I always feel a bit guilty about putting the big oven on to cook a piece of chicken, roast some veggies, cook sausages etc etc, but this thing is excellent! Did some lamb chops (my lifelong favourite) on the grill feature and they came out perfectly with the fat cooked to crispy, chin-dribbling perfection and the meat pink and juicy, with no spattered grease or lamby fumes hanging around the kitchen.

Air fried sausages are amazing, brown and crisp and juicy. I am experimenting with air fried ‘breaded’ southern-fried chicken- still a work in progress to get the coating right, but it shows promise. Air fried plain chicken pieces tonight, I am looking forward to it...

The thing cleans up very quickly and easily too.

No affiliation to Ninja, just pleased with my purchase. Anything which makes cooking simpler is good, in my opinion, especially if it lets me change things up a bit with the way I cook my protein sources. A bit more variety is nice!

Reactions: LaoDan and KK123

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an airfryer too, @TeddyTottie . Mine is the Lidl Silvercrest version. Wouldn’t be without it. Have you tried chicken wings in yours yet? Crisps up the skin beautifully.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting. I have been contemplating buying an air fryer but was worried it might turn out to be another of these gadgets that ended up not used. The ninja sounds pretty good! @TeddyTottie, if you can please keep posting. I have read reviews but there is nothing like a review from someone we 'know' on this site! x

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting. I have been contemplating buying an air fryer but was worried it might turn out to be another of these gadgets that ended up not used. The ninja sounds pretty good! @TeddyTottie, if you can please keep posting. I have read reviews but there is nothing like a review from someone we 'know' on this site! x
Yeah gadgets can be hit or miss. I also have a Tefal Optigrill, works great but I haven’t really bonded with it, the clean up seems onerous to me (I am exceptionally lazy, however!) so I don’t use it much. The Ninja will replace it, I think, much easier to deal with. My other would-replace-tomorrow if it quit working is an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, which I’ve had for quite a few years now - it is absolutely my go-to for one-pot wonders - currys, stews, bolognese sauces etc. It sautés, pressure cooks, slow cooks etc., very handy. Much less alarming than a stove-top pressure cooker, rattling and hissing like an angry domestic demon!

These days you can get combined devices which marry together the instant pot functions with air frying. My friend is awaiting delivery of one, I am curious to see how that works. I am fortunate to have enough space for two separate gadgets but be interesting to see if the combo is successful, good if you have a small kitchen.

My final luxury kitchen gadget is a vitamix blender, bought on a whim long before the diabetes diagnosis, when I still thought fruit smoothies were a good thing! I don’t use it often but when I do I know it will reduce anything to a completely smooth pulp and be a doddle to clean. It happily powders granulated erythritol to icing sugar fineness too.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an airfryer too, @TeddyTottie . Mine is the Lidl Silvercrest version. Wouldn’t be without it. Have you tried chicken wings in yours yet? Crisps up the skin beautifully.
I haven’t tried naked chicken yet, I was going to tonight, but I came across an elderly pork loin chop whist rummaging in the freezer so I will grill that instead today. I got a delivery of frozen raw cat food yesterday and my freezer is rammed, I’m not sure where my chicken legs are!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@maglil55 just posted this on another thread. It’s the air fryer I have too. Gives a good idea.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who was challenged by their OH if the proposed AF was going to be another "sandwich toaster", which is our in-house, generic descriptor for a gadget used a few times, then gathering dust. I said it wouldn't - mainly due to reports I had heard.

We now agree it'd be replaced in a heartbeat if it went wrong. We have this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Air-...84841&sprefix=power+air+fryer,aps,1105&sr=8-3 It's now about 2 years old and plodding along in its magnificence. The Lidl is very like it, but much cheaper.

@TeddyTottie - We're also and Instant Pit household. We have 2 (Yes, I know). They're both 6ltr. The plan for the second was a 3ltr, but the 6ltr went on offer, and the rest is history.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a small cheap airfryer earlier this year and love it, but only for 2 or less people. In future I'd look at the multifunction ones.
@SlimLizzy we bought my mother a combination microwave and oven . It has a larger footprint than the airfryer combinations but was more like what she was used too and was good for one or 2 portions. I think a multi function ninja lookalike would suit your motorhome best

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently bought the Ninja Foodie Max ( Air fryer, Slow Cooker & pressure cooker). It was a considered purchase as it's not the cheapest thing. I have to say I'm using it daily. Frozen chicken Thighs take 20 minutes so a quick lunch. I've made casseroles, cooked sausages and even proved/baked bread in mine. I love it. I already have a Ninja food processor that I find great so had no hesitation with the brand.

Reactions: Goonergal and KK123

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently bought the Ninja Foodie Max ( Air fryer, Slow Cooker & pressure cooker). It was a considered purchase as it's not the cheapest thing. I have to say I'm using it daily. Frozen chicken Thighs take 20 minutes so a quick lunch. I've made casseroles, cooked sausages and even proved/baked bread in mine. I love it. I already have a Ninja food processor that I find great so had no hesitation with the brand.
nice to hear a good review of one of these, I've been thinking about buying one, but it's a considerable investment and I didn't want it sitting on the side gathering dust. My "proper" pressure cooker knows it's Christmas when it appears from the cupboard, it's the only heavy bottomed pan I've got

Reactions: seanj67

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nice to hear a good review of one of these, I've been thinking about buying one, but it's a considerable investment and I didn't want it sitting on the side gathering dust. My "proper" pressure cooker knows it's Christmas when it appears from the cupboard, it's the only heavy bottomed pan I've got
Yea, some people don't like the fixed lid bit, but I find it ok, you can also get a rubber disc that allows you to store the PC lid on top of the unit with the AF lid closed, and you can get a stainless steel inner pot

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been thinking about what I might get for Christmas, but my kitchen toys are now a halogen oven, a Tefal Actifry a waffle maker, a Bamix with all the accessories, I have a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a steamer. There is a coffee maker, and more pots and pans than I will ever wear out, and there is the dishwasher - what more could I ever need?
If anyone finds a robot which can sort and fold clothes etc, that would help - but I am pretty much gadjetted out now.

Reactions: Carol1957

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been thinking about what I might get for Christmas, but my kitchen toys are now a halogen oven, a Tefal Actifry a waffle maker, a Bamix with all the accessories, I have a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a steamer. There is a coffee maker, and more pots and pans than I will ever wear out, and there is the dishwasher - what more could I ever need?
If anyone finds a robot which can sort and fold clothes etc, that would help - but I am pretty much gadjetted out now.

A Soda Splash t o carbonate liquids and create infusions. You could do the infusions with a syphon cream whipper.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually - now I think about it - there is a soda stream under the sink, from when the young'uns were at home.
I wonder if you can still get the gas cylinders.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually - now I think about it - there is a soda stream under the sink, from when the young'uns were at home.
I wonder if you can still get the gas cylinders.

Soda Stream are still going strong.

Just ton a point of detail, the Soda Stream uses carbon dioxide for carbonation, whereas the Soda Splash can use carbon dioxide, but also uses nitrous for infusions, and non-fizzy infusions.

https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/soda-splash-carbonator-infuser