Gradually introducing a few more carbs

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, the Hba1c is down to 33 and I hardly ever go above 6mmol post prandial so I have stared to eat a few more carbs.

Yesterday I had a longed for cheese and bacon puff from the bakery for lunch...pre 4.6 two hrs later 5.3. Today I ate 135g new potatoes (previous meals 100g) with salad, salmon and mayo....pre 4.6 post 5.3.

I shall keep trying new things and being careful and will be interested to see what effect this will have on my weight as well as my BG.

Has anyone else done this and found that they can eat more or less normally?

Reactions: millenium

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, the Hba1c is down to 33 and I hardly ever go above 6mmol post prandial so I have stared to eat a few more carbs.

Yesterday I had a longed for cheese and bacon puff from the bakery for lunch...pre 4.6 two hrs later 5.3. Today I ate 135g new potatoes (previous meals 100g) with salad, salmon and mayo....pre 4.6 post 5.3.

I shall keep trying new things and being careful and will be interested to see what effect this will have on my weight as well as my BG.

Bravo,bravo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A few members have reported that after a while (timing is very important and wholly individual) that they can tolerate a few more carbs than preciously.

Well done on your good management.

Sorry, that should read 'previously'.

Last edited:

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the same, I can eat things I thought were a no go and am fine. I also found my BG seemed to drop even lower than normal for about 12 hours after I had a bigger than normal amount of carbs. I was going to start eating more carbs regularly to see how things went (I have a theory it may actually drop my overall hba1c) but have actually found it difficult as I am pretty comfortable with what I eat and don't really miss carbs much except for a few things that are occasional things anyway. So, at this stage I'm staying low carb but will not sweat it if I eat a burger or something on occasion.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a year of normal BG levels I can eat more carbs - but I have cut back on them - because my insulin resistance is down too - so I start to put on weight just like when I was younger. I am trying to increase muscle, which I know is denser than fat - but my waist is no longer shrinking, so it is going to be fewer carbs for a while.

Reactions: ziggy_w

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been re introducing some carbs back to my diet lately...

These are brown rice, brown pasta/sphagetti, brown bread and some complex carbs like one hard apple, butter beans, click peas and red kidney beans, Jerusalem artichokes, sweet potatoes including brown Naan bread for curries.

Blood glucose levels are absolutely fine.

We are all different for sure.

However I wouldn’t go mad about carb loading regularly. My body can just about tolerate low to moderate carbing between 50-75g per day.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However I wouldn’t go mad about carb loading regularly. My body can just about tolerate low to moderate carbing between 50-75g per day.

Agreed, I would just add, that “per day” is not so important as “per meal”.

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goddamn that's amazing!! How long have you been diabetic? I mean it's been nearly two months for me and I'm down from 56 to 49 now. 2 days ago it was 50. So, I'm doing pretty much fine right now. However, I want to achieve the level of success like you did. I really miss eating fries and pizza, I hope some day I'll able to eat some of it. Right now I'm following a keto diet and following some home remedies such as green tea and psyllium husks listed by this blog: https://zovon.com/home-remedies/general-health/diabetes-home-remedies/

It's working fine till now, but what should I do to be like you and win over diabetes?!

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goddamn that's amazing!! How long have you been diabetic? I mean it's been nearly two months for me and I'm down from 56 to 49 now. 2 days ago it was 50. So, I'm doing pretty much fine right now. However, I want to achieve the level of success like you did. I really miss eating fries and pizza, I hope some day I'll able to eat some of it. Right now I'm following a keto diet and following some home remedies such as green tea and psyllium husks listed by this blog: https://zovon.com/home-remedies/general-health/diabetes-home-remedies/

It's working fine till now, but what should I do to be like you and win over diabetes?!

You are not going to win over diabetes! You can find something that works for you though but that may not be the same as what works for someone else.

I actually don't miss pizza nearly as much as I used to. I really like my fat head pizza I do with mushrooms and sausage. I can eat normal pizza but don't do it often I actually prefer mine. My "bad" areas are I go to the pub with friends each week and will have beer and fries sometime. Not a lot of fries though as I found what I really like is the aoli not the fries.

I used to get hungry and crave carbs now I crave something with fat in it. Works for me! It started getting easier after about 3 months and at 9 months now it is just 'normal'.

For me it is pretty easy, my BP has dropped and I stopped taking meds, my cholesterol is good my BG is good and I feel great. I struggled the first few months and I want to avoid that if I can!

Keep on as you are and I suspect good things will happen but it takes time.

Reactions: DJC3

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Nearly two years T2 now. Diet, exercise and willpower were the answer for me. I am still very strict with myself and weigh and record everything that passes my lips....a pain but worth it. I think stopping smoking has helped too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I still don't manage chips very well but am going to have another go tonight just to see.

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still don't manage chips very well but am going to have another go tonight just to see.
In the days when fat was considered bad it was recommended to have big chips rather than the matchstick ones as the big ones have more potato and less surface area/fat. I guess in our case the matchstick ones are better.

Reactions: DJC3

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have been re introducing some carbs back to my diet lately...

These are brown rice, brown pasta/sphagetti, brown bread and some complex carbs like one hard apple, butter beans, click peas and red kidney beans, Jerusalem artichokes, sweet potatoes including brown Naan bread for curries.

Blood glucose levels are absolutely fine.

We are all different for sure.

Interesting, throughout my diabetic journey I have had butter beans with Oxtail and kidney beans in Chilli, one or twice a month - normal for my family.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

A good sign, well done. Keep your eye on the ball! I use to be able to tolerate a bit of what I call "obvious carb", but can't do it now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly two years T2 now. Diet, exercise and willpower were the answer for me. I am still very strict with myself and weigh and record everything that passes my lips....a pain but worth it. I think stopping smoking has helped too.

This is great, especially well done as you gave up smoking too!

I don’t really miss carbs yet (been doing lchf for about 3 months) as I actually prefer the alternatives: cauli rice, courgetti, celeriac mash etc but it is really encouraging to know that somewhere in the future I might be able to have an occasional carby treat.

Social and family occasions are what fill me with angst, I don’t want to offend by refusing offers of carb laden food, and neither do I want to bang on about having diabetes. Most people still respond with ‘one little treat won’t hurt’.

Your post has cheered me considerably.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In the days when fat was considered bad it was recommended to have big chips rather than the matchstick ones as the big ones have more potato and less surface area/fat. I guess in our case the matchstick ones are better.
Was a bit odd as before meal was 7.8 after no food after meal including chips went down to 5.6 at 2 hours.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was a bit odd as before meal was 7.8 after no food after meal including chips went down to 5.6 at 2 hours.

7.8 before you ate? That sounds very unrealistic for you. Could it have been a rogue reading?

When I have real home made chips, deep fried (not oven chips) and cooked twice, I am the same after as before as long as I don't have too many. It is also the same with frozen chips deep fried, although we rarely have frozen ones. 6 or 7 is my limit if I want to be the same after as before.