1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Great HbA1c result but got told off for it...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by LooperCat, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rab5

rab5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe you... no need to go grabbing stuff. many thanks mate. Dont want to hijack this very succesful post. well done Med dCp

• Like Like x 2
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/
    that was a quick one....you have to be a bit careful with the units as USA are diff to UK but both are included in this article.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’ve been using the Libre for four months now, that’s part of the reason I’ve had such a good result - I can actually see what’s happening - it’s been a complete game changer for me. I honestly don’t have any hypos at night, and I can prove that to them if they continue to insist that I do. The last one I had was in January!

• Like Like x 4
  4. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may lose weight quicker if you use a little less inslin, this is a common issue with type2 on inslin, hence the advice in type2 not to go below A1c of 53 when a type2 is on inslin. (Personly I think 53 is too low if someone is using lots of inslin, but you are not on 200 units a day.)

5. Nondipoo

Nondipoo Prediabetes · Member

How stupid of the nurse. She obviously doesn’t understand the need to keep hbA1c at the lower level for your future health. It really makes me wonder what they are teaching them now.

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Mel dCP Well done :)

Don’t let the inexperience of one person steal your thunder, I always think when faced with similar situations that it’s my duty to educate the ill-informed.

Also just to thank you as your post reminded me i’ve got my blood test in the morning ! :arghh:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ringi

Be careful, as some study have shown that the people who lived longest with type1 used the least inslin, rather then have the lowest A1c, but these people have clearly lived most of their life's without CGM and are mostly not on low carb diets. (Even BG meters were not in use for most of their lifes!)

8. LooperCat

@ringi I’m type one and I use very little insulin these days. 16-18 units of Tresiba a day, and less than 8 units of Novorapid. I’ve had to drop it by about two thirds since cutting carbs - I used to take 18 units of Lantus twice a day and 8-10 of Novorapid with each meal before. As for weight, I’ve lost 11lbs in three months. I’m quite happy with that rate of loss :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How low is your low carbs? (Am thinking about going that way, currently on about 80 per day).

10. ringi

@Mel dCP you are very different to most people a nurses will be dealing with, hence I think you A1c is great. But I expect I know a lot more about you then the nurse did.

Keto diets are rewriting the rule book......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. LooperCat

I try to stick to 30g a day :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good job.....I think once you show them the data they should back off...

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Lisbonlion67

Lisbonlion67 Type 2 · Member

Hi,I keep getting emails inviting me to join the "Forum",when i do i cant find where to ask or when i find somewhere i am told (in other words i dont have permission or it is not relevant)
    Anyway,I do not want to hear other peoples problems,i have enough myself,how is listening to other peoples illness going to help me.
    Please,Do Not Send me Anymore emails or Anything else,I will deal with this by myself.Thanks.

15. Bertyboy

Bertyboy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had a similar experience, except I've also had contradiction. I was diagnosed last November when my HbA1C was 153 mmol/mol. I was immediately put on insulin and I adjusted as required to get my FBG levels into the 5s and cut out the carbs. By January my HbA1C was 40. The endo consultant at the hospital was very pleased with this but the diabetic nurse at my surgery had a bit of a go at me and told me to adjust my diet/insulin to get it back over 50. I told her I had had no hypos but I don't think she believed me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Well hello and welcome to you too... don't want any help from people who have been in your position? You never know it might help.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Lisbonlion67
    Welcome to the forum :)

rather than derail this thread with your queries, I will send you a Private Message, explaining how to change your profile settings to stop recieving emails.
    When the Private Message arrives, it will appear as a green envelope in the top right hand corner of your screen.
    Just click on it, and you will see the title of the message appear in a drop down box.
    Click on that to read the message.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Seems to be a theme here. You've got things moving in the right direction. Brilliant. So why the obsession with 50?

• Like Like x 1
  19. LooperCat

I don’t know, it’s obviously the target figure they have in mind - I’m wondering if it’s a funding target? But looking at the conversion chart, an HbA1c of 50 is equivalent to an average blood glucose reading of 8.1mmol - whereas 43 is equivalent to 7.1, still a good 50% over a non diabetic’s levels. Surely we should be aiming for lower than 50?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would have thought so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook