Greenlight for research trial that could help people with type 1 diabetes become insulin-independent

Conor.DDM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A promising new research study using stem cell therapy to treat type 1 diabetes has restarted after initial success in an earlier trial.

The treatment involves transplanting lab-grown insulin-producing beta cells into people with type 1 diabetes.

One participant has even become insulin-independent following the first clinical trial.

Once again, we're interested in your thoughts — would you consider stem cell therapy to treat your type 1 diabetes?

You can read more about the research over on the news section of the site.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A promising new research study using stem cell therapy to treat type 1 diabetes has restarted after initial success in an earlier trial.

The treatment involves transplanting lab-grown insulin-producing beta cells into people with type 1 diabetes.

One participant has even become insulin-independent following the first clinical trial.

Once again, we're interested in your thoughts — would you consider stem cell therapy to treat your type 1 diabetes?

Hi,

Many many years ago. I read about this in the New scientist magazine. (I used to buy it in the 1980s? If anything of interest was published.)

lol, back then I would have volunteered for it.. (in fact I did try & got stonewalled.) Not so sure now. ;)

Reactions: EllieM

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Consider it when? Now or when they have the therapy working better? You certainly don’t need to ask whether people are interested in a cure that works.

Conor.DDM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've had a look at the news section but couldn't find it.
Would you mind adding a link?
Hi Antje, apologies I missed your comment!

I was having trouble getting links back to our news articles. Perhaps because I'm a newbie!

Reactions: Antje77

Conor.DDM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Consider it when? Now or when they have the therapy working better? You certainly don’t need to ask whether people are interested in a cure that works.
Hi there,

We're always interested in hearing what people think about the online news articles - it helps inform what research studies we cover.

In this case, this was really just to generate an initial discussion on the subject. For instance, we found when the article was posted on social media, a number of people were concerned about taking immunosuppressant drugs, while others considered the ethical implications of stem cell therapy.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m with EllieM on this. Stem cells could be the answer — but it’s not the cure we’re all looking for if it requires heavy immunosuppressants. The article doesn’t mention the rejection problem at all and that’s the key to getting this (beta cell transplants) to work. Even with these drugs, they’re currently not having much success.

Reactions: Conor.DDM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Antje, apologies I missed your comment!

I was having trouble getting links back to our news articles. Perhaps because I'm a newbie!
It's easy, just open the article, copy the URL and paste in your post. ;)

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Definitely interested

Bedders89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm very interested in this new study and would love the opportunity to be apart of that research study. I've struggled with my diabetes for years and if this study is working it could improve my quality of life and let me live once again.

Laura39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can you let us know when the UK will also be carrying out these trials? How do we apply to become part of the trial?
Over the years, since my diagnosis in 1993, I have heard about different trials but they always seem to disappear as soon as they have been made public. I appreciate not all trials are successful but it would be nice to have the confirmation.

Reactions: tinyroman

Diabetes99

Glad to learn of more research on ways to deal with diabetes.
It perhaps would be better if research concentrated on looking at dealing with the root cause. Yes medicines are helpful but we already have insulin and other tablets that help shouldn’t the funds be better spent in getting diabetes cured once and for all.