Gut flora and insulin resistance

dipsydo

The doctor in the house program on Monday night (BBC1) was very interesting as there was a young lad 10 years old ( who was overweight despite having a reasonable diet and being very active ) who had insulin resistance ( proved by blood results) which was diagnosed to be to due to to his gut flora not being very good (i.e. it was not very diverse ) . The lad was put on a rainbow diet (seemed to be all types of fruit and veg with varying colours) and 2 apples a day - cooked with cinnamon to reduce the impact of sugar in the apple and also some nutrition supplements ...After being on the diet he lost weight over stone and half and more importantly his insulin resistance went back to normal.

I was wondering if anyone knew is there was much research on the relationship between gut flora and insulin resistance as it seems quite an interesting possibility ?

Reactions: librarising

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched it too - I had a lot of tonsillitis and antibiotics as a teenager, in my twenties I was even visited by the doctor at home, I was so ill as it had progressed to tracheitis and he brought a sample of a new antibiotic for me to take. It cleared the problem in a couple of days, but I have struggled with my weight ever since. It is only since diagnosis that I have been eating the very varied diet I prefer - my husband thinks peas are a food group on their own. If there is a connection then it is no wonder that my results are so good in such a short time.

Jo123

I watched the programme but found it very frustrating that they didn't retest his gut flora. Was the reduced insulin level due to his low carb diet or his improved gut flora?

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I was a bit perturbed that the measurement of 10 was considered 'normal' by the doctor.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor in the house program on Monday night (BBC1) was very interesting as there was a young lad 10 years old ( who was overweight despite having a reasonable diet and being very active ) who had insulin resistance ( proved by blood results) which was diagnosed to be to due to to his gut flora not being very good (i.e. it was not very diverse ) . The lad was put on a rainbow diet (seemed to be all types of fruit and veg with varying colours) and 2 apples a day - cooked with cinnamon to reduce the impact of sugar in the apple and also some nutrition supplements ...After being on the diet he lost weight over stone and half and more importantly his insulin resistance went back to normal.

I was wondering if anyone knew is there was much research on the relationship between gut flora and insulin resistance as it seems quite an interesting possibility ?

well that sounds promissing......

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The problem I see with gut flora and the gut brain trigger that initiates the insulin response is as has been said so many times is how will they find out which bacteria to use because it is so diverse?
As with fingerprints and so many parts of our bodies, they are unique to each person individually. Or will a general selection be used?
Will a special brew be used for each type or something on the lines of the flu vaccine?

My gut flora is fine until the carbs stimulate the trigger to increase my insulin response. So how would it help me?

As usual with these things, it will be good for some and bad for others!
But it's good that they realise that they are researching these things!

Hotpepper20000

When I was under two years old and on going for a few years I had constant ear infections and bronchitis and a such was taking antibiotics often. Then when I was a teenager I had many toncile infections over a few years and again put on antibiotics.
One of my doctors actually a few years ago asked a series of questions and one of them was if I had taken many courses of antibiotics when I was younger. He and a few colleagues had a theory that for some people too many antibiotics when we are young does lead to health problems later in life. Everything from insulin resistance, hormonal problems to IBS.
Perhaps over use of antibiotics impacts our gut flora and lead to insulin resistance?

Reactions: Serena51
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I watched the programme but found it very frustrating that they didn't retest his gut flora. Was the reduced insulin level due to his low carb diet or his improved gut flora?
I think a follow up gut test would have been useful too.

Also, was Kiki low carb? They threw out all the processed, refined carbs and replaced them with a rainbow of whole, unprocessed fruits and vegetables. Better carbs, but still carbs.

Part of his elimination diet was to stop consuming wheat and dairy. What part did this play and also what was the supplement he was taking? Lots of questions and variables in the mix.

Dr Rangan is great though. I loved the way he interacted with the kids.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

try
https://bodyecology.com/articles/the-importance-of-enzymes-in-your-gut

Reactions: Lamont D

dipsydo

As regards 10 being normal I think it was referring to insulin levels Kiki started at 30 and if he was at 30 and it had been blood sugar he would have been diagnosed as diabetic . The nearest I could find on the about normal insulin levels was from medscape
Table 1. Reference Range of Insulin Levels [1]
Insulin Level Insulin Level (SI Units*)
Fasting < 25 mIU/L < 174 pmol/L
30 minutes after glucose administration 30-230 mIU/L 208-1597 pmol/L
1 hour after glucose administration 18-276 mIU/L 125-1917 pmol/L
2 hour after glucose administration 16-166 mIU/L 111-1153 pmol/L

So 30 would be high if you had not had a meal and 10 would be fine .. but I could be barking up the wrong tree as it was not clear what was the blood test . I agree that that the assumption was that what had helped was a change of gut flora was not confirmed by any test that was shown on the programme .
Nevertheless I found the programme giving pause for thought and maybe it is area where there should be a bit more research.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I was under two years old and on going for a few years I had constant ear infections and bronchitis and a such was taking antibiotics often. Then when I was a teenager I had many toncile infections over a few years and again put on antibiotics.
One of my doctors actually a few years ago asked a series of questions and one of them was if I had taken many courses of antibiotics when I was younger. He and a few colleagues had a theory that for some people too many antibiotics when we are young does lead to health problems later in life. Everything from insulin resistance, hormonal problems to IBS.
Perhaps over use of antibiotics impacts our gut flora and lead to insulin resistance?
Maybe.
I was on antibiotics at 6wks old for pneumonia, then every few months due to chest infections etc... both parents and grandparent and uncles smoked around us, kids. Once I left home I ate what I wanted, even the thrush appeased. I think stress triggered thrush with over 7.8mmol/l sugars.
Maybe antibiotics did play a part in confusing our gut bacteria?

lindisfel

Expert
Regarding the Rangan Chattergee prog on BBC. I seem to remember the boy's insulin test was over 30 and under 10 after going on the variant low carb diet (no units). His gut biome was mentioned as being improved after the colourful veg/fruit diet.
The doctor said it was an insulin test and the discussion implied his blood glucose was still controlled but he was enroute for T2D because he had hyper-insulin values on test. It was never implied that he could eat a high carb diet if his gut biome improved and the boy was so enamoured by his much reduced obesity, because he feared bullying, that I doubt he will slide back into his high carb diet. D.

Last edited: