Had My Diabetes Clinic Today Following The Low Blood Sugar Test

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've finally been able to post this. There must have been a glitch on the forum somewhere.

I went for my Diabetes Clinic appointment today. To say the nurse was staggered was an understatement. I explained why my readings could have been 2.2 but she is still wanting the doctor to investigate it. I got the impression that she'd never seen one this low without the side effects that come with it. I told her that I genuinely had no effects from it and when I have had dizziness, etc, I've checked my bloods and they've always been in the normal range. I told her I was in the Perimenopause age and that can affect my bloods to a degree but she is still bothered by it.

I told her I was low carb now and one good point was that she acknowledged this and knew of this forum. She didn't quibble how I'd done it. My 8 stone weight loss has been done sensibly over nearly two years as I can't NOT eat. I explained to her that my readings are in the normal range and that the 2.2 was exceptional in it's difference to mine at home. I also told her that my body and way of eating from nearly two years ago is like day and night. I really did eat that much junk and rubbish everyday, all day. In some respects I believe that my body went into some kind of shock after being drastically starved of all the sugar I consumed. I'm not a medical expert at all but I genuinely feel okay and if there had been anything untoward, I would have had to act.

Half of me is pleased that she wants to check but half of me was surprised at her sheer amazement. She partly listened to what I said but a lot of my conversation didn't make much of a difference.

I can't help but worry now. I'm a known worry wart at the best of times but to baffle the doctors and nurses at our surgery like this is confusing and surprising too. I just wanted to update things on here. The nurse is ringing me tomorrow to see what the doctor says. Fingers crossed, it isn't bad. I am hoping that the diary I've written down will show them how I've been so that they at least won't be as surprised by my particular case.

Reactions: Robbity and flexi06

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that the nurse will not have experienced anyone quite like you before. She may have been used to T's coming in for review and slowly getting worse with time... then you come in having lost 8 stone over 2 years with BG's to match. Go gently with them in the morrow.
All in: Good stuff.

Reactions: ziggy_w and flexi06

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Can you please provide more info on the 2.2 reading?

Reactions: flexi06

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've finally been able to post this. There must have been a glitch on the forum somewhere.

I went for my Diabetes Clinic appointment today. To say the nurse was staggered was an understatement. I explained why my readings could have been 2.2 but she is still wanting the doctor to investigate it. I got the impression that she'd never seen one this low without the side effects that come with it. I told her that I genuinely had no effects from it and when I have had dizziness, etc, I've checked my bloods and they've always been in the normal range. I told her I was in the Perimenopause age and that can affect my bloods to a degree but she is still bothered by it.

I told her I was low carb now and one good point was that she acknowledged this and knew of this forum. She didn't quibble how I'd done it. My 8 stone weight loss has been done sensibly over nearly two years as I can't NOT eat. I explained to her that my readings are in the normal range and that the 2.2 was exceptional in it's difference to mine at home. I also told her that my body and way of eating from nearly two years ago is like day and night. I really did eat that much junk and rubbish everyday, all day. In some respects I believe that my body went into some kind of shock after being drastically starved of all the sugar I consumed. I'm not a medical expert at all but I genuinely feel okay and if there had been anything untoward, I would have had to act.

Half of me is pleased that she wants to check but half of me was surprised at her sheer amazement. She partly listened to what I said but a lot of my conversation didn't make much of a difference.

I can't help but worry now. I'm a known worry wart at the best of times but to baffle the doctors and nurses at our surgery like this is confusing and surprising too. I just wanted to update things on here. The nurse is ringing me tomorrow to see what the doctor says. Fingers crossed, it isn't bad. I am hoping that the diary I've written down will show them how I've been so that they at least won't be as surprised by my particular case.

Alderbaron - I'd urge you not to rail against a Practise looking to check things out. So often we read of closed minds.

I'm a bit with @hankjam on this, in that I know from my own experiences of talking to HCPs and researchers those who make the seismic shifts you and others have made are very unusual, in the scheme of things.

I would be content to go with any investigations. It's good to check off something else we haven't got, and if something turns up, it will have been caught in the bud.

Good luck with it all. Please consider these interactions to be positive.

Reactions: flexi06

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
My meter told me my blood sugar was 1.6 the other day, but when I retested (immediately) the reading was 10. Blood testing meters do give rogue reading sometimes. I doubt that 2.2 was accurate.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Kevin259

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest that the nurse will not have experienced anyone quite like you before. She may have been used to T's coming in for review and slowly getting worse with time... then you come in having lost 8 stone over 2 years with BG's to match. Go gently with them in the morrow.
All in: Good stuff.

It seems that way hankjam. My husband has repeatedly said that I could be the first person they've seen who's reversed my lifestyle and the Diabetes itself by doing this, but I just find this hard to believe, if you know what I mean. I told my husband that never more than now had I wished he could see their faces and reactions when I've seen them. It's a compliment but confusing too as I didn't think I'd done anything special. I just took control of my life and had to stop the way I was living. As always, thank you for your post. It does help.

Alderbaron - I'd urge you not to rail against a Practise looking to check things out. So often we read of closed minds.

I'm a bit with @hankjam on this, in that I know from my own experiences of talking to HCPs and researchers those who make the seismic shifts you and others have made are very unusual, in the scheme of things.

I would be content to go with any investigations. It's good to check off something else we haven't got, and if something turns up, it will have been caught in the bud.

Good luck with it all. Please consider these interactions to be positive.

I agree DCUKMod and that is why I'm pleased that the nurse wants to check but it pushed my worry button. I'm not flippant about my health but I felt like I was almost pleading with her to listen more. I can't fault her for being on top of it. The doctor who is in charge of the Diabetes Clinic is wonderful and is truly flabbergasted by my weight loss and comments pleasantly whenever I see him. I think they've been wonderful with me, even the doctor who wants to use my case for students in a future teaching class.

It could be because I read on here and see others who've done something similar to myself and I naturally believe that it is more common than it is. I am super proud of myself. Fingers crossed, this will be sorted. I won't go against the medical team, I'm genuinely relieved that they're on the ball. I feel for those who don't have this. I'm glad that I do. Thank you.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s a link Aldebaran’s post earlier this month when the result was discovered, in case you can help.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...r-regarding-low-blood-glucose-reading.144529/

Thank you Rachox :)
Sadly, I’m still confused regarding the 2.2 result after reading the other thread. Oh well.

I do apologise. Again, I was that surprised by her reaction, I forgot to ask her to elaborate but I will ask this when I speak to her on the phone. She didn't even go through my results, as they usually do. The nurse couldn't get passed my reading. I think we were both as surprised as each other but for very different reasons.
My meter told me my blood sugar was 1.6 the other day, but when I retested (immediately) the reading was 10. Blood testing meters do give rogue reading sometimes. I doubt that 2.2 was accurate.

I've heard of this before Ellie. In my rush to get to my appointment, I left my diary and they need to see that. I honestly have had no symptoms of Hypoglycemia. I will continue testing sporadically at home and maybe note down how I feel, etc, to see if there's a pattern. Thanks Ellie.
If glucose reading is often in the lower 3s, then it may not be surprising to have odd readings in the 2s. Still it is good to reconfirm and maybe also get ketones checked. Hypoglycemia symptoms occurs with low glucose in the absence of adequate ketones.

I've had a few readings of 3.7 and one or two at 3.4 but generally it's in the 4's and any teatime/afternoon readings can be in the 5's. The nurse said anything below 4 is considered low so I'm as baffled as she is because I can't say it enough, I have no symptoms of Hypoglycemia. Thank you kokhongw.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Aldebaran
Can I just confirm that is was indeed a finger prick test that they reported as 2.2?
If so why on earth did they not re-test while you were there sitting in front of them?
Seems very odd to me that an unexpected result like that was just reported to the doctor and nothing else.
Like others I'm guessing it may have simply been a rogue reading (I've had lots myself) and if you have never seen anything like that yourself then unfortunately however much investigation they do it may never be explained. Of course if it was written down rather then being downloaded from the meter it could also have just been a typo rather than a hypo...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope a) they retested you abnd B) you ate something before you drove as the DVLA would string you up for doing that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that way hankjam. My husband has repeatedly said that I could be the first person they've seen who's reversed my lifestyle and the Diabetes itself by doing this, but I just find this hard to believe, if you know what I mean. I told my husband that never more than now had I wished he could see their faces and reactions when I've seen them. It's a compliment but confusing too as I didn't think I'd done anything special. I just took control of my life and had to stop the way I was living. As always, thank you for your post. It does help.

I agree DCUKMod and that is why I'm pleased that the nurse wants to check but it pushed my worry button. I'm not flippant about my health but I felt like I was almost pleading with her to listen more. I can't fault her for being on top of it. The doctor who is in charge of the Diabetes Clinic is wonderful and is truly flabbergasted by my weight loss and comments pleasantly whenever I see him. I think they've been wonderful with me, even the doctor who wants to use my case for students in a future teaching class.

It could be because I read on here and see others who've done something similar to myself and I naturally believe that it is more common than it is. I am super proud of myself. Fingers crossed, this will be sorted. I won't go against the medical team, I'm genuinely relieved that they're on the ball. I feel for those who don't have this. I'm glad that I do. Thank you.

My numbers run low and I do see 2s. When I'm in the 2s, I'm usually just about to have a meal or whatever. Sometimes I'll re-do the test and it'll show to have been a bit of a rogue, and sometimes I can feel my liver contributing to the game.

It's my belief that "normal" people have these numbers, but just have no idea, because they're not gambolling around the country sticking lancets in their fingers, and the amount of research and testing on normoglycaemic individuals is limited.

If you end up having a good going check over out of all this, that can't be a bad thing.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Except that as the OP is a Type 2 in remission on no medication the DVLA advice is irrelevant surely?

So if she had a car accident and killed someone after being tested as 2.2 I would very much hope the DVLA and police would throw the book at her (or anyone else that did the same). DVLA advice is diabetics need to be 5 to drive regardless of type.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So if she had a car accident and killed someone after being tested as 2.2 I would very much hope the DVLA and police would throw the book at her (or anyone else that did the same). DVLA advice is diabetics need to be 5 to drive regardless of type.
Why? You have no idea of the blood sugar levels of 95% of people who are driving. More importantly 95% of the people who are driving have no idea of their blood sugar levels when they drive. Do you think the police carry blood sugar testing kits and would know what to do with them?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why? You have no idea of the blood sugar levels of 95% of people who are driving. More importantly 95% of the people who are driving have no idea of their blood sugar levels when they drive. Do you think the police carry blood sugar testing kits and would know what to do with them?

Because its reckless that's why. The point is OP did know her supposed bg levels as did her HCP.

And honestly they probably should have them and know how to use them - how is it any different to driving drunk and they carry breathalysing equipment!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because its reckless that's why. The point is OP did know her supposed bg levels as did her HCP.

And honestly they probably should have them and know how to use them - how is it any different to driving drunk and they carry breathalysing equipment!

Sorry but you have no idea how the OP felt when her blood was that low. Mine will probably be in the mid to low 3's tomorrow after fasting for 3 days. I will be perfectly ok I will not be hypoing just having regular/"normal" blood sugar levels.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Aldebaran
Can I just confirm that is was indeed a finger prick test that they reported as 2.2?
If so why on earth did they not re-test while you were there sitting in front of them?
Seems very odd to me that an unexpected result like that was just reported to the doctor and nothing else.
Like others I'm guessing it may have simply been a rogue reading (I've had lots myself) and if you have never seen anything like that yourself then unfortunately however much investigation they do it may never be explained. Of course if it was written down rather then being downloaded from the meter it could also have just been a typo rather than a hypo...
No bulkbiker it was the blood test where they take a few vials for an overall check. I too don't understand why I wasn't re-tested or just to give a finger prick test to prove what I was saying. I'm genuinely baffled and thought that at the very least, they would have tested me again. I appreciate their confusion but the nurse didn't even go through the rest of my results. I've still not received a call back either. I don't know what to think.
I hope a) they retested you abnd B) you ate something before you drove as the DVLA would string you up for doing that.
No they didn't re-test me and I felt fine. This whole situation is enough to send someone half mad. It's as if they don't believe me. No one in their right mind would suffer the symptoms of Hypoglycemia and do nothing about it. And given I'm an extremely mindful and cautious driver, I wouldn't dream of driving a car. I have never..never..had the symptoms of low blood sugars. I'm beginning to think that I'm lying to myself when I know that I'm not and have witnesses to verify this.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My numbers run low and I do see 2s. When I'm in the 2s, I'm usually just about to have a meal or whatever. Sometimes I'll re-do the test and it'll show to have been a bit of a rogue, and sometimes I can feel my liver contributing to the game.

It's my belief that "normal" people have these numbers, but just have no idea, because they're not gambolling around the country sticking lancets in their fingers, and the amount of research and testing on normoglycaemic individuals is limited.

If you end up having a good going check over out of all this, that can't be a bad thing.

I'm the same DCUKMod. It happens when I'm hungry or if I test before a meal. Once I've eaten, my bloods are fine. And I agree with you in that people who aren't Hypoglycemic aren't tested as a comparison as much as they should. I can't emphasise enough just how bad my diet was and how my poor body struggled. Now, it's free of the junk and sugars, (barring my treats), so it's found another way of dealing with what I eat. I've re-tested before myself, a while after a suspicious reading and it's been fine. I'm still waiting for a phone call. Fingers crossed I can at least find out what is what and hopefully the doctor himself will understand this more.