Had my first appointment with the Diabetic Dietician today!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well,I have a British spell-checker and it does not object to the spelling!!!This is the spelling I was taught in College.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Rob and Ally,

I think there are very few of us who will spell correctly 100% of the time, and there are a number of times I've looked at what I've written and said, "huh!, I could have structured that sentence better".

Let's concentrate on the content of a post and not the style eh?

Regards, Tubs.

tubolard

Dislikes
ally5555 said:
Also there is a huge debate in dietetic circles about GI/GL because we do not have a Uk data base!
Is the debate that we need a database? Or are there other underlying concerns?

On a pedantic matter. My copy of the OED allows both -itian and -ician to be appended to diet. Now it could be that the -ician suffix is an American import to the language, but once again it demonstrates the evolving nature of English.

Regards, Tubs.

Trixy

Hi, I have just this morning joined this site as we started carb counting today for my son. He is hopefully about to go on a pump if the PCT grant approval. I am trying to start the carb counting and get used to it before he goes on the pump. He is a strapping 16 year old who plays badminton to a high level. He has had three scary hypos in the eight years he has been diagnosed. The last of these was in Feb half term and since then he has been running himself high as he is petrified of going thru' that again. He lost his sight for about 6 hours!! :cry: Very very scary for all concerend.

Anyway I would appreciate any help with this carb counting anyone can offer. He is really keen to go on the pump and knows that it is he who will have to learn to carb count really as he's almost an adult.

I've started a spreadsheet of blood sugar level before food, what he eats, what the total carb is for that food. I can't yet change his insulin as I don't know what ratio of insulin to carbs he can have, is that right?

also any help/ advice to playing sport whilst on apump would be appreciated?

Thanks.
Tricia.

C

catherinecherub

On the subject of the Glycemic Index :-
I would concur that we need a U.K. database for G.I. foods. We have to rely on Australia and the U.S. who do not include some foods specific to the U.K. Lists compiled by BUPA, Tesco etc. vary in their G.I. values. I follow the G.I. and have done since 2003. It is very frustrating not to be able to try something because of the unknown G.I. value.

Katharine

Pheonix,

Another great site, the runsweet one. I have asked Ryan to put the link to it on the dsolve site.

Thanks,

Katharine.

Trinkwasser

graham64 said:
I’m 6ft and weigh in at 11st 2lb as you can see I don’t need to lose weight I need to maintain it, I am active but as a 64yr old not an athlete. My diet is high fat low carb, due to good BG control I am not on medication nor have any complications.
My snacks are always low carb, cheese, deli meats, nuts, eggs etc. the carbs in milk and cream are negligible unless used in very large quantities. I don’t have problems with consumption of protein or fat. As you can see I need the calories to maintain my weight, what puzzles me is how consuming more carbs is going to help my BG control even if spread through the day. Taking on board carbs between meals would surely give me spikes which isn’t an ideal scenario for controlling BG. Seeing your suggested carb intake would be around 255g for an average person, and I have between 80 to 100g, even allowing for me not being “average“you must be looking at an increase in carbs of at least 100% for me to come into your range. As I’m looking to improve my BG levels can you tell me how I can increase my carb intake to your suggested levels and achieve better BG numbers?

Graham

What I'd REALLY like to see is someone come onto a forum or newsgroup and say

"I followed what the dietician told me and my numbers improved, I lost weight and my lipids normalised"

Well I have seen that happen, but it all cases it was a dietician who recommended a low carb diet. Not the "official" low fat high carb diet.

tubolard

Dislikes
I believe I already have Trink.

tubolard

Dislikes
Happy to repeat them,

One month after diagnosis my HbA1c was 11%, two months after diagnosis it was 9%, my last HbA1c was 6.8%. I will be the first to admit my lipid profile is not the best, my LDL is fine, however my HDL is too low and my Triglycerides are too high - but I am struggling with smoking.

For the last two weeks my fasting BG has been in the fours or early fives and apart from a couple of times my PPs have been in the mid fives to mid sixes.

Generally speaking my day looks like this:
Breakfast: 2 slices wholegrain toast with low fat spread
Lunch: One round wholegrain sandwiches with low fat spread or soup and an apple
Dinner:
  • Pizza; or
  • Pasta/Meatballs in a tomato & courgette sauce; or
  • Spaghetti Bolognese with side veg; or
  • Noodles, chicken, salad; or
  • Vegeburger, new potatos, tomato & courgette

Either a mid morning or mid afternoon snack of vegetable crudites or baked pitta with cheese and some houmous.

As an occasional treat, a couple of chocolate digestives to dunk in my tea.

Regards, Tubs.

tubolard

Dislikes
Forgot to mention me weight - I've lost over 2 stones since diagnosis.

Regards, Tubs.

sofaraway

Trinkwasser said:
What I'd REALLY like to see is someone come onto a forum or newsgroup and say

"I followed what the dietician told me and my numbers improved, I lost weight and my lipids normalised"

i could possibly fit this criteria. I have lost 14kg in past couple of years and don't eat a low carb diet. My A1c is 5.8% measured a couple of weeks ago. I have MODY.
I can eat a fair amount of carbs. I probably average 150-250g per day.
an example

07-11-08 I ate for breakfast 2 wheetabix with semi skimmed milk and a medium sized banana
i took 1 units of novorpaid.
blood sugars from 6am (when i ate) then every 3 minutes from the CGMS until 8am
6.9- fasting, ate and gave insulin
5.8 2 hours pp

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sofaraway,you can counteract your carbs with insulin.Most type two's who are not on insulin have to be more careful with their carb intake.

Katharine

Ally,

Just to clarify I few things here.

All Hp are registered with a statutory body like the HPC and there are strict codes of conduct. Dietitians have a protected title you could end up in court if you use it and are not reg! I am not allowed to sell supplements or endorse them or any other products. Othr hp have similar restrictions so I guess nurses and doctors also have to be careful giving advice like altering of insulin etc!

You have made an assumption that doctors and nurses are under the same regulations that you believe you have to practice under.

Health professionals such as doctors and nurses do indeed require to be registered with their professional bodies. Eg General Medical Council for doctors such as myself.

The code of conduct for doctors is this:

The duties of a doctor registered with the General Medical Council

Patients must be able to trust doctors with their lives and health. To justify that trust you must show respect for human life and you must:

Make the care of your patient your first concern

Protect and promote the health of patients and the public

Provide a good standard of practice and care

Keep your professional knowledge and skills up to date

Recognise and work within the limits of your competence

Work with colleagues in the ways that best serve patients' interests

Treat patients as individuals and respect their dignity

Treat patients politely and considerately

Respect patients' right to confidentiality

Work in partnership with patients

Listen to patients and respond to their concerns and preferences

Give patients the information they want or need in a way they can understand

Respect patients' right to reach decisions with you about their treatment and care

Support patients in caring for themselves to improve and maintain their health

Be honest and open and act with integrity

Act without delay if you have good reason to believe that you or a colleague may be putting patients at risk

Never discriminate unfairly against patients or colleagues

Never abuse your patients' trust in you or the public's trust in the profession.

You are personally accountable for your professional practice and must always be prepared to justify your decisions and actions.

As a matter of difference between dieticians and doctors, doctors are allowed to prescribe or recommend specific products and are also allowed to sell them in certain circumstances.

Although I can fully appreciate that it would be quite inappropriate for someone like yourself who is a simple dietician and not a diabetic or a personal carer of an insulin using diabetic, to give advice on insulin administration, this is not an issue for those who have expertise in this matter. Indeed I have lost count of the number of potential adverse incidents that have been averted by members of this forum both medical and non medical by giving appropriate and timely advice.

Unfortunately the state of health care in even developed countries such as the UK and the USA falls considerably short of what is needed for diabetics and those with other glucose metabolism problems. Access is limited by provision, timing and cost. The internet and forums such as this are filling a void here.

All posters on this forum whether health professionals or not owe it to their fellow participants to post with thought, consideration and kindness and within the areas of their knowledge, skills and experience.

Frankly, Ally, I'm not surprised that your criticism of Dr Bernstein met with hostility. You may have a degree of expertise on dietary matters but you do not appear to be able to demonstrate the ability to normalise blood sugars for diabetics by dietary or other methods.

Sadly, this aspect of diabetes care is ignored my the majority of the medical and dietetic professions. Just because it is not apparently important to them does not minimise its importance to those who suffer from the consequences. This suffering is not just limited to diabetics but to their spouses, parents and children.

"Dead in bed", a serious car accident and a flu that in a weekend turns to death from ketoacidosis are some of the fears that we live with night and day. Dr Bernstein's method minimises hypoglycaemia and Jorgen Vestig Neilsen found that even 70-90g of carb a day reduces hypos by twenty times the baseline level in adult type ones. Dr Bernstein's sick day rules are far in advance of what is still promoted by Diabetes UK although I'm pleased to say that the ADA and DAFNE are catching up with his method.

Most of us recognise that normal blood sugars and perfect metabolic control is not absolutely necessary for everyone. In addition the behaviours and eating patterns that it takes to become what I call , "a superdiabetic" are not something that even willing people may feel able to do consistently. Therefore it is important that the range of accurate information is made available and that we allow people to make the personal decisions that only they are entitled to make.