Had my first appointment with the Diabetic Dietician today!

andyrobo

Hi all

Well I had my appointment with the diabetic Dietician at the Community Clinic, and came away with the usual NHS booklet and the chart showing the split of food on your plate!

Now I know that there are some good ones out there, but she was batty! Was rabbiting on about other patients that she has helped and what they did, yet understood that I was limited to what exercise I can do given I have a young family and a shift-working husband!

I was complemented on what I ate - considered as 'average' and no real major changes to make, except eating a few more carbs - yeah well I will ignore that!!!!

She didnt tell me much more than I already know, but was not completely useless - she said do what suits you and this is in theory that we tell you to do!! I was not 'too overweight' and she didnt believe that my BMI was as it was calculated!!!

I can go and see her anytime I like and they will try to help me lose the weight by weighing me regularly (!!!) - I declined her kind offer, as the diabetic nurse does that at my 3 month check-ups!

I did learn that if I did end up on medication, then if I lost some weight, then I may not need it!

So there you go - a typical NHS dietician appointment, and at least now I have the 'tick in the box' which will stop the diabetic nurse telling me off, as I am not losing weight as I have not been to see the dietician - dont see how that was going to work, unless she was a magician!

I have been lo-carbing for a few weeks now, and lost 3-4 lbs - which is great! Want to lose another 10 by Christmas, which is realistic for me!!!!

Andrea

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as well Andrea, if I can do it anyone can. my dad died suddenly 6 weeks ago, and because I was running around looking after the rest of the family (my mum's blind and my son and younger brother are autistic) I've now lost over a stone.

You keep on being feisty (my cousin's word) and stick to your guns, I'm sure you can lose those extra pounds.

Good luck,

Bubsy

nicx

I am still waiting for an appointment with the Diabetic Dietician. I was suppose to have on in July to be told she was on holiday and would contact me to rearrange and then when I phoned to re arrange the appointment was told that she was off sick.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
After a couple of months stalled with weight loss. (I have lost 2 1/2 stones and need to lose about as much again). I hadn't lost since about August. This morning, I was down a bit, so I'm hoping it's moving again. I have gone to true low carb. No sugar and no starches, just the carbs in green vegetables and if I get the munchies, i make a cup of red bush tea. I am only ever hungry first thing in the morning. I eat deli meat or eggs for brekafast. I think I'll have kippers tomorrow. I spotted some in the freezer this afternoon.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Same sort of thing happened to me. I got a regular nurse at my local practice though. She gave me a diet sheet which is a carbon copy of the one my brother in law got for his high cholesterol, only she crossed off sorbet because "that has sugar in it". Duh! Neither she or the Dr made the link between my PCOS and the possible diabetes, and when I posted about it here you guys picked up on it straight away. When I asked about it she said she had no idea about that.

They told me that there is no specific diabetes diet, you just eat healthily. I would have liked to have been better informed and not have to rely on the internet to find out about the GI thing, which makes much more sense to me. :?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
poly cystic ovarian syndrome

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
PCOS and Diet from http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/di ... e/pcos.htm

It’s likely your doctor has advised you to take more notice of the carbs in your diet in an effort to combat the effects of insulin resistance. In particular, to help keep blood sugar levels stable so you feel fuller for longer, you should limit sugary carbs and replace them with wholegrain carbs such as wholemeal breads and wholewheat pasta. There’s also evidence that eating protein-rich foods such as fish, lean meat and tofu, together with carbs can help to minimise rises in insulin. And of course, filling up on five fruit and veg a day will help to satisfy your appetite without breaking the calorie bank.

Knowledge is the key to control

"I'm treating my diabetes right. I want to die with my feet on."

Type two, diet only. Last Hba1c 6.7%

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ROBSKI said:
ally 5555

I am a type 2 diabetic I eat around 1500 grams of food per day are you saying I should be eating up to 600 grams of carbs per day.....some advice please

Rob
Hello Rob, I have been reading the posts here but decided to reply to this.
There does seem to be a misunderstanding.
Ally is not saying that someone with PCOS should eat 600 carbs.
The proportion of carbs in the diet is proportionate to calories not weight of food. If you ate 1500 gms of cauliflower you would eat about 60 carbs, 1500 gms of sugar would have 1500 carbs, 1500 gms of steak has no carbs at all.

If your intake was 1500 calories 40% would be 600 calories. There are about 4 calories per gram of carb so that would be 150gmsof carbs not 600!

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Thanks for your posts. It's all so confusing at first, but I'll get there slowly. :lol:

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Thank you for the clarification of the suggested numbers ... I'm sure it could become quite confusing :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am still cutting back all the time. I'm a 61 year old overweight T2 woman. I have now lost 18 kg( which is alot) and need to lose as much again. To get to where I was at 20 would need another 10kg after that.
I now get all my carbs from veggies( not the white ones,'cept cauliflower :D ) and a minimal amount of fruit, say 1/2 an average apple a day. I don't eat 5 portions a day of veggies, because I don't eat that much food.
I'm NOT hungry and solve "the munchies" with a cup of redbush tea.
Yes I am losing weight, but slowly. I'm beating Newton's Laws.

Trinkwasser

nicx said:
I am still waiting for an appointment with the Diabetic Dietician. I was suppose to have on in July to be told she was on holiday and would contact me to rearrange and then when I phoned to re arrange the appointment was told that she was off sick.

Food poisoning?

popps

Hi Trink,

I like your dry wit and cynicism but I'm not sure if it will be appreciated by all. I suspect that many on this site aren't as clever as you and genuinely need straight forward answers to straight forward questions. If I was a betting person I'd now put money on you replying to this message with something very glib.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well funnily enough my first ever appointment with a dietician was also cancelled because she was sick but in her case she was pregnant and not well!
These things happen in life.Too many diabetics,not enough dieticians.