Happy to be Staying in the 30s Club!

D

Deleted member 308541

@Rachox, well done on the latest hba1c.

Just out of interest, you have "in remission" in your profile, did this come about when you had four consecutive hba1c readings in the 30's, I'm not counting the July one cos that's about the time you marked that you went into remission.

Now mine have been, 46.5 Sep 2016, 58.4 Dec 2016, 35.5 Mar 2017, 35.5 Dec 17, 34.4 Jun 2018 I have been on 2 x 500 Metformin daily since Dec 2016. Next hba1c is due in December 2018.

So would I be in remission with my last three hba1c readings, or do i need a few more to get my tally up.

Edit: Added another reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox, well done on the latest hba1c.

Just out of interest, you have "in remission" in your profile, did this come about when you had four consecutive hba1c readings in the 30's, I'm not counting the July one cos that's about the time you marked that you went into remission.

Now mine have been, 46.5 Sep 2016, 58.4 Dec 2016, 35.5 Mar 2017, 35.5 Dec 17, 34.4 Jun 2018 I have been on 2 x 500 Metformin daily since Dec 2016. Next hba1c is due in December 2018.

So would I be in remission with my last three hba1c readings, or do i need a few more to get my tally up.

Edit: Added another reading.

Hi Tipetoo,
I thought long and hard about changing my status to “in Remission”. I even posted a thread about it to canvass opinion here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/should-i-classify-myself-as-‘in-remission’.136346/ .
I infact changed it in February after three non diabetic HbA1cs. You’ll see from the discussion that different people have different definitions of Remission. Should you be Diet only, just on Metformin, pass a GTT, who knows if any are the correct way to define it? I did it in the end to give myself a pat on the back and to encourage myself to stay on the straight and narrow. By my numbers I’d consider you ‘in Remission’ too.

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic - and many thanks for your help and warm welcome..

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi Tipetoo,
I thought long and hard about changing my status to “in Remission”. I even posted a thread about it to canvass opinion here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/should-i-classify-myself-as-‘in-remission’.136346/ .
I infact changed it in February after three non diabetic HbA1cs. You’ll see from the discussion that different people have different definitions of Remission. Should you be Diet only, just on Metformin, pass a GTT, who knows if any are the correct way to define it? I did it in the end to give myself a pat on the back and to encourage myself to stay on the straight and narrow. By my numbers I’d consider you ‘in Remission’ too.
Thanks for the reply, and the promotion to "in remission". :D

I will see what Decembers hba1c is, although I think it a bit iffy if I changed mine to "in remission" if equall or lower than what it is now, as you know I eat a lot of stuff a lot of the posters think is the "spawn of the devil" I would hate to start a fight.

Be interesting to know what my GP has to say about it, probably just a big grin and and a mumble.

The funny part of it was I know what caused those highs of 46 and 58, it was from eating cheap locally produced bananas. I cannot find my T2 diag hba1c from March 2014, I will have to ask the doc what it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Daphne917

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done @Rachox and @Tipetoo. :)

It seems unless I can stop all my 300+units of insulin I will be ill advised to get too low a hba1c. Just in the chances of hypos, no other reason.

The medics haven't seen steady low 5s in struggling diabetics for some time..... It seems.

Reactions: Robbity

Larbi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you every one for your kind words. I now have two weeks to wait to review the results with my GP
Well done and good job ,hope i can get the same results like you on my next November HBA1c test :angelic:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply, and the promotion to "in remission". :D

I will see what Decembers hba1c is, although I think it a bit iffy if I changed mine to "in remission" if equall or lower than what it is now, as you know I eat a lot of stuff a lot of the posters think is the "spawn of the devil" I would hate to start a fight.

Be interesting to know what my GP has to say about it, probably just a big grin and and a mumble.

The funny part of it was I know what caused those highs of 46 and 58, it was from eating cheap locally produced bananas. I cannot find my T2 diag hba1c from March 2014, I will have to ask the doc what it was.
@Tipetoo I have been considering changing my profile to ‘in remission’ for a while as my hba1c has been in the 30s for the last 4 years and I am diet controlled and, like you, eat some ‘carby’ things that would make some of our fellow forum members choke on their bullet proof coffee!! However it does mean that our bodies are coping with the carbs that we eat. The reason I have been reluctant is that my DN insists that I am not classed as being in remission just very well controlled.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tipetoo I have been considering changing my profile to ‘in remission’ for a while as my hba1c has been in the 30s for the last 4 years and I am diet controlled and, like you, eat some ‘carby’ things that would make some of our fellow forum members choke on their bullet proof coffee!! However it does mean that our bodies are coping with the carbs that we eat. The reason I have been reluctant is that my DN insists that I am not classed as being in remission just very well controlled.

My gut feeling is that I too am very well controlled but that isn’t an option here. My GP describes me as very well controlled too. Remission was my eventual decision as it’s the closest to how I feel. Remission as in my signature is defined as temporary which acknowledges that if I slip my HbA1c will be on the up again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those that haven't seen this, this is the international standard for remission: (I have marked myself in remission and do not satisfy these criteria. I have used the Prof Taylor et al definition, and my GP has coded me as diabetes resolved based on that definition. (without any discussion with me, I may add)

https://www.diabetesremission.org

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:
  1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)
We define three levels of remission:
  • Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months
  • Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or mor
References:
1. Buse JB, Caprio S, Cefalu WT, Ceriello A, Del Prato S, Inzucchi SE, et al. How do we define cure of diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2009 Nov;32(11):2133–5.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Report on Diabetes 2016 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/

Reactions: Rachox
D

Deleted member 308541

However it does mean that our bodies are coping with the carbs that we eat. The reason I have been reluctant is that my DN insists that I am not classed as being in remission just very well controlled.
I think that "well controlled" would fit me if I get another good hba1c in December.

The spuds and bread I eat are both lower carb, I do not have to much of a problem with reheated pasta if in a small portion.
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or more
I thought I have seen this mentioned before here, it make sense to me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those that haven't seen this, this is the international standard for remission: (I have marked myself in remission and do not satisfy these criteria. I have used the Prof Taylor et al definition, and my GP has coded me as diabetes resolved based on that definition. (without any discussion with me, I may add)

https://www.diabetesremission.org

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:
  1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or mor
References:
1. Buse JB, Caprio S, Cefalu WT, Ceriello A, Del Prato S, Inzucchi SE, et al. How do we define cure of diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2009 Nov;32(11):2133–5.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Report on Diabetes 2016 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/
I just miss the criteria as my hba1c was 43 in Nov 2013 - maybe next year !!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rachel, I'm super impressed - to put it mildly!

I know we all get these ridiculous duplicates, or at least I do, but I go back and delete my own.
Me too, but I've also learned now if my post hangs and I see the lilttle waiting icon/symbol thingy at work, I go away and leave it to brew for a while...and avoid dratted dups...

Robbity

Reactions: porl69

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And finally I join you @Rachox :D HbA1c 34. Well happy with that, first time in 7 years of being T2 that I have managed to get into the 30s! Whoop whoop party time! :D
Hi 5s @zand , jolly well done!

Reactions: zand

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And finally I join you @Rachox :D HbA1c 34. Well happy with that, first time in 7 years of being T2 that I have managed to get into the 30s! Whoop whoop party time! :D

That is FAB @zand
And what a drop, from the 40s to the low 30s.
Marvellous result!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria @bulkbiker @Bluetit1802 Thanks to all of you! Especially thanks to BB as he encouraged me in my early days of keto. I am so encouraged by this result. If it had been worse than 45 I would have binged on carbs already :rolleyes:, but now I am happy to stay with keto for as long as I can manage it. It works :D

Reactions: hankjam