Type 2 Hard time adapting to low carb

nellie92

It seems the harder I try to eat low carb the more I crave them. Any advice? I think it’s the restrictive part of it. My weight keeps creeping up and I feel so frustrated. I know what I need to do, but just can’t seem to do it.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.
How are you trying to restrict the carbs? Are you replacing them with proteins and fats?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

as @Resurgam says you need to replace carbs with more protein and fats. Maybe if you post an average days eating people can come up with some suggestions.

The answer may be that you need to go even lower carb- what does your meter tell you? The first goal is to lower the blood sugar levels so that is probably the first thing to focus on.

It is hard at times this journey so virtual hugs.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome

I am currently trying to get back on the low carb wagon, not easy, it’s a mind game, very much worth it though so keep at it.

For me the trick is to not be hungry, remember fat doesn’t make us fat so eat plenty, eat more than usual, if you are full and satisfied you might not feel as restricted.

Perhaps use this thread to post your daily progress? Make food diary’s, use your improved blood sugars as inspiration (assuming you test). Up your exercise a little if you can,

And if all else fails sit around in McDonald’s tutting and shaking your head at people, ask them if they are really going to eat that?! :)

Best of luck.

Reactions: Jak13 and zand

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems the harder I try to eat low carb the more I crave them. Any advice? I think it’s the restrictive part of it. My weight keeps creeping up and I feel so frustrated. I know what I need to do, but just can’t seem to do it.
Carbs demand carbs... And they really are an addiction to kick. (With withdrawal symptoms and everything!). So it's no surprise the first period of adjustment is a hard one, really. And when you're told you can't have something, the more you want it. ;)

Just have stuff around you can use to scratch the itch without carb-loading. Feeling peckish? Have a mug of tea instead. Pecan nuts, olives, cheeses, some full fat greek yoghurt with berries, cold cuts... Anything that is filling and reduces any true hunger you might have, and takes away the craving. Also, there's low carb varieties of things like bread, wraps and what have you... If you can't quite do without, you might want to look those up at your local supermarket. They're pricey, but they're there. And who knows, if you google keto fat bombs, you might be pleasantly surprised at the options.

It would indeed be helpful if we knew what you're currently eating and drinking on an average day. And you might want to consider this; have you lowered your carbs really drastically? Because while I'm an all-or-nothing person, others prefer to go slow and reduce in stages. Find out what would work for you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Fenn . Using this thread to share your progress would be really helpful. Whatever stumbling blocks you find along the way some of us will have had similar problems on our paths too and we can tell you how we negotiated them. Plus, by sharing and helping yourself to get through this you will be helping others.

One of the best tips I got from this forum was to have a coffee with cream when I am hungry.

Good luck, I am looking forward to hearing your success story. :)