Has anybody else had their blood meter changed by the doctors

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I got a blood testing meter in the post a couple of weeks ago and I just thought it was a tester one to try it out just been to the doctors for my prescription to find out I can't get the stuff for my meter I have now that I am getting the stuff for the meter I got in the post and if I need the stuff for my meter I have now I have to pay who else is having this problem?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lots of CCG's are making GP's only give strips for certain meters.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello I got a blood testing meter in the post a couple of weeks ago and I just thought it was a tester one to try it out just been to the doctors for my prescription to find out I can't get the stuff for my meter I have now that I am getting the stuff for the meter I got in the post and if I need the stuff for my meter I have now I have to pay who else is having this problem?

I was given a back up meter, the Aviva nano and when I told my GP I need lancets for it, he had to go onto the internet, couldn't find them, so he rang our In house pharmacy for information and I got my lancets ( btw both my meters take the same test strips).
So sorry to hear of your problems coralkay.

Best wishes RRB

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I know I had this problem today and I really disagree with it
Hi coralkay, when i was at my docs 2 wks ago the nurse who took my blood asked if i wanted a meter.....i told her i already have an accu chec nano , and she said ,do you get your own strips? And i said that they are on prescription, she told me that i would prob' be given a cheaper one because of cost .nothing more been said to me yet though ,so i'm expecting next time i go to me doc i'll get the cHeaper one :((

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I got a meter in the post a couple of weeks ago and I thought they just sent me one to have a try of it but I didn't because I already got a new and better one that works for me off my hospital then today when I went to get a new prescription they put the test strips for the new meter which I wasn't using j was us in the one of the hospital and I need the stuff for that one they sed they couldn't give them to me any more and if I wanted them I would have to buy them which would cost me 40 pound every time I need them and I student have to pay that's why I have a medical exemption so u do have to pay for my diabetic stuff it is ridiculous x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Coralkay how much are the strips for the new one compared to the old one?

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know u would get them free cause they have put them on my prescription x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
It would be worth googling to see how much the new machine's strips are ,and also check the cost of the original meters strips....you will have a good case to ask for them on perscription if the prices are similar

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It wudent make a difference really cause if I use the new meter I get them free but because I got my other meter off the hospital and want to stay on that one they won't give me the stuff I need I have to pay for them xx

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup it's ok cause I'm going to talk to the manger when she rings me it shouldn't be allowed especially without my permission xx

Reactions: 2 people

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this as well from my gp. I was using accucheck nano (pk of strips £15.99) and the local trust directed all gps to switch all diabetics to another meter (pk of strips £9.99) which I did try and found horrible. I discussed it it with my hospital team and they said they preferred me to stick with my accucheck one. They put it in letter to my gp and my prescription has been changed back. Definitely worth speaking to your gp about it - there's no legal requirement for them to prescribe a particular meter, unfortunately it's all about costs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I had this as well from my gp. I was using accucheck nano (pk of strips £15.99) and the local trust directed all gps to switch all diabetics to another meter (pk of strips £9.99) which I did try and found horrible. I discussed it it with my hospital team and they said they preferred me to stick with my accucheck one. They put it in letter to my gp and my prescription has been changed back. Definitely worth speaking to your gp about it - there's no legal requirement for them to prescribe a particular meter, unfortunately it's all about costs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thats interesting thanks for that , i use the accuchek as well , but as i said , they only prescribe the strips , i bought my own meter , then they relented and let me have the strips.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What @sunshine84 said :)

If you have a meter given by your hospital team, all it takes is a letter from them to say it's their preference for you to use the one you have, and also you need X amount of test strips and such and such lancets. All GP's are trying to change to cheaper meters as well as declining meters and test strips to Type 2's as a cost cutting exercise.

I challenged this decision as the meter that they issued me that I gave a fair trial to in the interests of saving the NHS gave consistent incorrect readings , resulting in hypos and hypers were previousLynne I had good control .in my opinion it was not suitable for a Type 1 . It also wasted 25% of strips with "Error wotsit " , so negated any saving on the cost of strips :rolleyes:

I kept my old meter, and now have adequate strips instead of the predicable battle every time I asked for a prescription ;)

Signy

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Well I got a meter in the post a couple of weeks ago and I thought they just sent me one to have a try of it but I didn't because I already got a new and better one that works for me off my hospital then today when I went to get a new prescription they put the test strips for the new meter which I wasn't using j was us in the one of the hospital and I need the stuff for that one they sed they couldn't give them to me any more and if I wanted them I would have to buy them which would cost me 40 pound every time I need them and I student have to pay that's why I have a medical exemption so u do have to pay for my diabetic stuff it is ridiculous x
If you were given a meter by the hospital to use for insulin dosing, then tell your GP this and your strips should be reinstated. I saw my GP the other day and asked if he would change my strips over to the contour next as lifescan are stopping the ones I use. I know my commissioning group have said no to all test strips except the 2 cheapies. GP didn't bat an eyelid and just changed it over for me. No problem at all.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I came out of hospital last year. Not on insulin went I went in but was by the time I came out. They gave me a nice new meter with a few strips and lancets. Told to get them from the GP. Went to the GP and told we don't support that meter, here have this one. Twice the size as the other one (don't we have enough to carry). GP's get supplies i.e. meters , log books, education, pens etc for free depending on how many of their meters the practice subscribe to. It does make it easier for chemist if they only have to stock a limited range and not sundries for every single meter manufacturer. If you have to buy your own supplies then buy what you want. If it is on prescription then go with what is supplied.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I came out of hospital last year. Not on insulin went I went in but was by the time I came out. They gave me a nice new meter with a few strips and lancets. Told to get them from the GP. Went to the GP and told we don't support that meter, here have this one. Twice the size as the other one (don't we have enough to carry). GP's get supplies i.e. meters , log books, education, pens etc for free depending on how many of their meters the practice subscribe to. It does make it easier for chemist if they only have to stock a limited range and not sundries for every single meter manufacturer. If you have to buy your own supplies then buy what you want. If it is on prescription then go with what is supplied.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It wudent make a difference really cause if I use the new meter I get them free but because I got my other meter off the hospital and want to stay on that one they won't give me the stuff I need I have to pay for them xx

Not making any promises here, but if you have a word with your hospital DSN/Consultant they may make a case for you to stay on the hospital bg meter and write to your gp surgery requesting that they prescribe the strips, its certainly worth a try anyway if you don't want to change.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I've got used to it now. I discovered that the company make a slim meter which uses all the same accessories and they have sent me one along with another finger stabbing device. All all works out in the wash!!