1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HAS ANYONE EVER CHALLENGED THE NHS EAT WELL PLATE/GUIDE RE DIABETICS?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Debandez, May 25, 2018.

1. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The Eatwell Plate was not not aimed at diabetics at all but at the general population. Presumably the emphasis on carbohydrates was to prevent you from getting your calories from fat, which was considered evil at the time. Why it was not modified for diabetics, bearing in mind the sensible low carb advice from earlier times, I don't know. I guess nobody wanted to go against the conventional thinking but it is difficult to imagine that no medical people could spot the simple logic of too much glucose in the blood so don't eat things that turn into glucose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

My mum was DX'ed at age 14, and in those days such early onset of severe symptoms was assumed to be T1D. There was no GAD or C-peptide test then, so probably an OGTT was used to confirm the urine analysis of diabetes. I am definitely a T2D and I am still producing engenic insulin so the orals and diet works for me. Eastwell did not work for me but I manage on a low carb intake. I am on annual HBA1c testing/ review which is due in November I suspect it will have gone up this year sice I am not being strict with my diet, and am more carb tolerant now so can take risks.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook