Has anyone tried apple cider vinegar at night?

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metformin since April 2021. 500 g initially and then plus another 500g . I was checking my bs before and after low carb meals and discovered my fasting level was always around 9 mmol. I have no symptoms of diabetes and decided since I don’t look overweight I probably have too much visceral fat so switched to a low calorie diet. I have lost weight and inches but cannot get the fasting figure down. I then read about the apple cider vinegar and cheese trial and decided to try it. It requires a lot of discipline to drink the watered down vinegar each night as, after the first sip, it tastes worse and worse. Thank goodness for the cheese! Has anyone else tried it and what were the results?

alangdunbar

You need to watch with ACV as too much or an incorrect dilution can cause Internal issues in the long term and also tooth enamel erosion and NEVER the tablets as these can get stuck in your esophagus and cause burns. What is better is to include it in food as you will still be getting the benefits. Go for the one with The Mother, as the standard types like Aspalls or Supermarket blends are pretty much useless for health benefits. What could be better for you is a MultiVitamin called Lamberts Multigard Control. What's different with this is that it contains high levels of beneficial Alpha Lipoic Acids, Choline, Chromium, Magnesium & Cinnamon Bark (tablet tastes of cinnamon). It works to lower your BG and stabilise in conjunction with exercise and a low carb diet

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to watch with ACV as too much or an incorrect dilution can cause Internal issues in the long term
That’s very interesting. Could you point to a study or reference that gives some evidence or guidance, please?

What could be better for you is a MultiVitamin called Lamberts Multigard Control….It works to lower your BG and stabilise in conjunction with exercise and a low carb diet
That’s quite a claim. Please provide some evidence to support the claims.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I have used ACV in the past, i didn't have any adverse side effects from it but can't say I had any noticeable benefits either. I've tried lots of different things over the years, the only thing that works for me is to eat the best real food I can afford and the least amount of carbs I can.
I have found a couple of links that anyone considering trying AVC might find interesting
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar-side-effects
https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/fo...ng-the-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the responses. My husband, a nutrition biochemist, read all about ACV before I started taking it. The trials used 2 tablespoons of the ACV and 1 ounce of cheese. I diluted the ACV in half a tumbler of water. I have not had any issues taking it but as I haven’t seen any benefit so far and no one on here has said how it affected them, and because it is so horrible, I’ve stopped taking it. Last night I still ate the cheese as I had already weighed it out and my fasting bs was a bit lower this morning

alangdunbar

Alpha Lipoic Acid https://diabeteswellbeing.com/alpha-lipoic-acid-for-diabetes/

Chromium
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Chromium.html

Cinnamon Bark Extract
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/natural-therapies/cinnamon.html

Iodine
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32267361/

Magnesium
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26322160/

Vitamin B12
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3649932/

One key thing to note is that many Type 2 Diabetics including myself (On Metformin) have lower levels of B12 and Magnesium. Primarily Due to the action of Metformin on High doses like 2g daily

I can supply more evidence of required

alangdunbar

That’s very interesting. Could you point to a study or reference that gives some evidence or guidance, please?

That’s quite a claim. Please provide some evidence to support the claims.
Hi @Goonergal.. direct links in my fed post for evidence on specific key compounds that MultiGuard provides that helps support BG Control and it's a recommended suppliment by many Healthfood practicioners . It has helped me stabilise my levels and I continue to take it due to the ALA, Cinnamon & Chromium it provides ..which many others don't

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Apple cider vinegar - mix with about the same volume of good olive oil, shake vigorously and add to salads.
Might not do any good for the blood glucose on its own, but as part of the diet, it works.
More due to low carb than anything magical about it I'm sure - but for the last couple of years I have made a flagon of it from the apples in the garden and it seems to be a good thing, and it is a use for the apples.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
helps support BG Control

I think that’s a much more reasonable claim than the original one made.

I’ve looked at the Multiguard supplement and it contains very low amounts of all active ingredients so personally I’d be very dubious that it has any of the benefits of the larger doses of single ingredient supplements you referenced, and those are all ‘associations’ at best.

Supplements can be very helpful alongside an appropriate way of eating, but that’s all, in my view.

jennyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike cruelty to children and animals and all living creatures. Also, I dislike bullies, extreme modern art and architecture, supermarket and shop music that is unmelodic
I have been on Metformin since April 2021. 500 g initially and then plus another 500g . I was checking my bs before and after low carb meals and discovered my fasting level was always around 9 mmol. I have no symptoms of diabetes and decided since I don’t look overweight I probably have too much visceral fat so switched to a low calorie diet. I have lost weight and inches but cannot get the fasting figure down. I then read about the apple cider vinegar and cheese trial and decided to try it. It requires a lot of discipline to drink the watered down vinegar each night as, after the first sip, it tastes worse and worse. Thank goodness for the cheese! Has anyone else tried it and what were the results?

I saw on TV that eating an apple (similar thing to apple cider vinegar) stops the body absorbing fat and therefore helps weight loss. I mentioned this to my diabetic nurse and she said "of course it does this"! I have also heard this on a NHS site. It really does work. I eat an apple after a more fatty meal or before a fatty meal or otherwise any meal and the next day my weight has either gone down a little or remained the same - never up! If I miss eating an apple for a few days my weight creeps up. This is well worth a try. This of course also helps keep ones cholesterol level down.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw on TV that eating an apple (similar thing to apple cider vinegar) stops the body absorbing fat and therefore helps weight loss. I mentioned this to my diabetic nurse and she said "of course it does this"! I have also heard this on a NHS site. It really does work. I eat an apple after a more fatty meal or before a fatty meal or otherwise any meal and the next day my weight has either gone down a little or remained the same - never up! If I miss eating an apple for a few days my weight creeps up. This is well worth a try. This of course also helps keep ones cholesterol level down.
As a diabetic carbs are your issue that we can’t process and raise bgl and get stored as body fat, far more so than dietary fats.

alangdunbar

As a diabetic carbs are your issue that we can’t process and raise bgl and get stored as body fat, far more so than dietary fats.
Yep.. What happens, is the Carbs are absorbed into cells and block the essential fats in cells being utilised by the body to provide energy.. The body then has no choice but to convert those excess carbs in to sugars to use them up, which get stored as bad fats around your organs. As the volume of sugars increase in the blood, insulin is released to try and mitigate, especially from the Liver. However too much insulin in the blood and the bodies inability to clear out the sugar in the blood from the excess, leads the body to become resistant to the Insulin... and eventually the Pancreas burns itself out stopping production.

Fats on the other hand, BURN Fats in the body, as your cells pick up and utilise these as essential nutrients to power your organs. They don't get converted into sugar and don't get stored around your organs (visceral fat).

The upshot is that carbs as non essential to the function of your bodies energy reserves, as the Liver produces it's own Glycogen to deal with energy reserves .