have you noticed Pt 1 & 2

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi folks
i don't know if i'm just plain crazy or what i'm gonna tell you rings a bell .
As i test 4times/day i have recorded every little detail .I have come up with a conclusion that when i administer the prick acuvator i can just about guess the score by the way i bleed.( within 2 eitherway) .If the blood runs quick i am within range if its slow i'm always over the 6'ish .Is it just me or is anyone else game enough to admit there as crazy as me??
It is useful to adapt this method should our really (not nice goverment) decide we can't have strips anymore :( :( ( and then tell all the people in the country that the tax's we pay are going to fund the most expensive wedding in uk history.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Re: have you noticed?????????????

Not noticed that, but am myself having huge problems getting blood out of my right hand fingers at the moment. Think it is just because of the quantity of tests I am doing, although I have cut them down. I always just find blood easier to do first thing in morning when my hands have been warm all night.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My hands are cold a lot (poor circulation, I put it down to the fact I have ridiculously long fingers :lol: ) and I have only noticed that I can't get any blood out of my fingers when my hands are cold (I guess if there was any blood in it they wouldn't be cold lol). Not made any connections to my levels so far!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Doh!!!!!!!! it is just me then :wink:

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

yes ive noticed too that when my blood looks watery its usually in the low to medium 4's

Sue

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes

Thanks Sue :D
for a minute i thought i needed sectioned :lol: :lol: :lol:

imalittlefishy

I haven't noticed this when doing my own testing...but I had a blood test at the GPs a while ago when I had an infection and so was running high - my sugars had been in the teens all day. Usually I have "nice" veins(!) and it's quite easy to take blood from me, but this particular day the blood was just not flowing and the nurse had to have a go at both arms before getting a halfway decent sample. When I finally did start to bleed, it was obvious and she even commented on it, that the blood was thicker than usual. She suggested that it was because I was dehydrated due to the higher than usual blood sugars...this might possibly explain what you're seeing...
Maggie
xx

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes

You got me thinking now Maggie :idea:
if we have thicker blood surely our hearts have to pump the blood harder .So if we took a blood thinning drug would it take a little pressure of our hearts and make us feel better?? And increase our ability to burn out more glucose :D .
I

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Blood gets thicker when your BG is too high :) with good control and normal levels our blood shouldn't be thicker than usual as far as I know but I might be wrong.

bedshaped2000

when my blood runs thick im normally low and when it runs thin im high. i can also tell by the colour if its dark then its low, light is when im high. i think it may be to do with ur diet aswell, if i have a lump of cheese a hour later im nearly having a hypo 4.3 and the blood is thick to come out of finger, if it was a biscuit i wouldnt be high as such say 6.2 after a hour but the blood will run thin. i have also noticed that temperature will affect bgs aswell. every morning when i finish work my hands are freezing so my test before bed in the morning is normally below 5 but if i come in sit down leave it for about half a hour watch tv and warm up the bgs will be normal between 5.0 to 5.5. i remember watching a programme ages ago that there a re a lot of deaths in the cold because the bodys blood thickens which if your ateries are already thickened with cholesteral will have trouble flowing which causes heartattacks

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

I've thought about this a lot. I haven't came to a conclusion yet. I did think that lightcoloured, thin blood indicated a low BG -for a while but that got shot out the window when I pricked my finger and squeezed it, and a thin light stream of blood shot out about 2ft into the air. Ah! Low reading coming, I thought... BG was 11 mmol/L!

Snodger

right, this thread has inspired me... am going to start noticing flow and colour and writing down what I guess the bg will be in the five seconds before the meter tells me. Will report back... (if I remember to do it. Ahem)

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Snodger said:
right, this thread has inspired me... am going to start noticing flow and colour and writing down what I guess the bg will be in the five seconds before the meter tells me. Will report back... (if I remember to do it. Ahem)

This will be an interesting bit of research I look forward to the results :)

Snodger

First thing I notice is that I already have a good idea what my bg is going to be even before I test, based on how I feel, what I know I've already been up to that day, what I've eaten etc. So actually I'm already not being objective about the look of the blood coz I've already made a guess.

Hm.

So phase two is that I'm going to ask my partner to assess the look of the blood. He won't be able to guess what my sugars are (and I won't tell him till after the experiment) so he can be properly objective.

rustyboy

your not crazy! i've noticed when my sugars are high i find it very hard to get blood out of my finger but just thought it was me being awkward cos normally not feeling well at this stage(keep on getting error on monitor) at least now i know it's not just me. crikey this site is really good thanks

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

+1 on that. When my control is poor I need to use quite a deep setting (usually on or near the deepest) on the lancet.

While my control is good (since early Jan) I've been using the very lowest setting. Doesn't hurt as much, either!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I've found that the blood runs more or less well depending on which finger I use but not thicker or thinner. My little finger bleeds the best (and hurts the least). Cold hands are very difficult though for me to get anything out at all.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
have you noticed pt2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi folks
Here is part 2 to our research on the blood tests . If anyone who was interested in the first post I would like for us to try another experiment .I thought it might be an idea that the people who are testing could do one simple thing ? Record your counts when the temp in your area is 15 and above .This would possibly link with some of the points made earlier and see if any area are the same in relation to the affects of a warmer climate .The info might benefit us all eventually leading to awereness if you want to go abroad . Or if you want to holiday in the uk .It's a very simple idea . If were gonna look out for our siblings we may as well do it right :D :D
Manythanks JF :idea: