HB1Ac going up not down

SEMKP

I'm 59, BMI 22, and got a diagnosis of pre diabetes about 18months ago. with Hb1Ac of 47. Since then I've cut down massively on carbs, cut out sugar and lost nearly a stone in weight. Also joined a pre-diabetes group as recommended by my GP. Four months later ( year ago) my Hb1Ac was 45. But my test result today, says my Hb1Ac is 46. What am I doing wrong? Any advice welcome.
SEMKP

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 59, BMI 22, and got a diagnosis of pre diabetes about 18months ago. with Hb1Ac of 47. Since then I've cut down massively on carbs, cut out sugar and lost nearly a stone in weight. Also joined a pre-diabetes group as recommended by my GP. Four months later ( year ago) my Hb1Ac was 45. But my test result today, says my Hb1Ac is 46. What am I doing wrong? Any advice welcome.
SEMKP
HbA1c is rounded up or down, so basically, you've stayed the same. Which is good, because if you were still eating carbs as you used to, you would've probably progressed to T2 by now. You could try doing more carb-cutting, dunno how far you've gone...? But all in all, one single point higher is actually an alright result.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SEMKP

SEMKP - Welcome to the forum.

To be honest, the margin 45/46 is very insignificant indeed really. We report HbA1c tests as whole rounded numbers, but in reality, your last HbA1c could have been 45.4, and this last one 45.6 - making 45 and 46 by rounding to the nearest number.

Well done keeping things in check

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been seeing results at about the same level for years, and I suspect that my body is set at that level by years of being unable to deal with carbs - I think it is safe enough to go on as I am, feeling better about everything, but at my age of 68 I suspect that is as good as it will get.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
SEMKP

On the whole I agree with the others, those hba1cs are effectively the same. So well done for not progressing any further. But given that you're slim and haven't had a significant reduction of hba1c via diet I've got to ask, have you had any tests to confirm you're prediabetic T2 rather than prediabetic T1/LADA? LADA can progress very slowly and be stalled for quite a while by means of drastic carb reduction. Your GP will probably assume you are borderline T2 just because of your age, but you can't know that without doing a test. I'd recommend a c-peptide, which measures the amount of insulin you produce. T2s produce lots because they are insulin resistant, T1/LADA produce little because their insulin producing cells get progressively destroyed. Though T1 is much rarer than T2 (1 to 10 ratio), nearly half of adult diagnosed T1s get initially misdiagnosed as T2.

And another possibility is that you haven't cut out as many carbs as your body needs you to. If you want to list a typical day;s diet here then there will be plenty of folk to make suggestions.

SEMKP

HbA1c is rounded up or down, so basically, you've stayed the same. Which is good, because if you were still eating carbs as you used to, you would've probably progressed to T2 by now. You could try doing more carb-cutting, dunno how far you've gone...? But all in all, one single point higher is actually an alright result.
Thanks will plod on. Hard to work out a new food regime that works!

SEMKP

On the whole I agree with the others, those hba1cs are effectively the same. So well done for not progressing any further. But given that you're slim and haven't had a significant reduction of hba1c via diet I've got to ask, have you had any tests to confirm you're prediabetic T2 rather than prediabetic T1/LADA? LADA can progress very slowly and be stalled for quite a while by means of drastic carb reduction. Your GP will probably assume you are borderline T2 just because of your age, but you can't know that without doing a test. I'd recommend a c-peptide, which measures the amount of insulin you produce. T2s produce lots because they are insulin resistant, T1/LADA produce little because their insulin producing cells get progressively destroyed. Though T1 is much rarer than T2 (1 to 10 ratio), nearly half of adult diagnosed T1s get initially misdiagnosed as T2.

And another possibility is that you haven't cut out as many carbs as your body needs you to. If you want to list a typical day;s diet here then there will be plenty of folk to make suggestions.
Thanks really helpful