HB1AC- will it make any difference?

Dippy3103

Hi folks,

My annual review is due. In my haste to avoid taking time off work I have booked to have my bloods done tomorrow morning when I am off work.

It being Christmas I have relaxed my diet very much so this week ( I gave myself three days off. I have indulged in my first roast spuds all year).

So will a carb heavy few days change my HB1AC result in any real way?

Thanks in advance.
All the best for 2011 x

hallii

I doubt it, the A1c is an average over 2 or 3 months so any inrease in the result will be very small.

H

Dippy3103

Thanks H, was kind of what I was hoping for. I intend to stave off the meds for as long as possible. Even if I did rather over celebrate Christmas.
I don't suppose the red wine I washed it all down with will redeem me either!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Dippy3103 said:
I don't suppose the red wine I washed it all down with will redeem me either!

Well, the red wine will have helped to keep your levels lower. Did you test over those days to know how high you went? If not, perhaps it didn't go as high as you fear. But I agree that it won't have much of an effect on your HbA1c.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
The test is kind of progressive in that the last days have more influence over the result than the early days; so yes, a binge in that last couple of weeks will have more influence than a binge say 8-10 or so weeks ago.

Dippy3103

I have pretty much stuck to plan apart from Christmas eve to boxing day. Just a shame it was just before my test... It won't take much of a rise for my GP to put me on metformin. She was in two minds last time.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
D.
I shouldn't worry too much. The HbA1C tells you how high your blood glucose has been on average over the last 8-12 weeks. So overall a few high or low readings in the latter part of that period isn't going to make much of a difference really.

When I had my Cancer treatment my readings were atrocious for several months. My HbA1c only went up by 2/10 ths of a point !

As for the Metformin.......it is YOUR choice what medication you go on.......the GP can suggest !

Be brave ........ :wink:

Dippy3103

I am just hoping that the period of huge stress plus the horrid sinusitis I had for three weeks won't add to it. I know from my own testing that I was running a fair bit higher through that period.
I am very fortunate, my GP really does listen to me and believes that as an intelligent adult I can make informed choices.
I did ask the nurse when she took my blood this morning and she said pretty much as all you wise people on here. The other tests are more likley to give away my rather merry Christmas. She rather kindly said if it's only a few days, then no lasting damage, so long as it is only a few days!