Hb2ac1 increase on low carbs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a diagnosis of prediabetes ( score 43) a year ago. This Jan went on v strict low carb, high fat diet. No cheating at all. Also increased muscle building exercise and some cardio. Have built a lot of muscle strength. Lost a stone in 3 months ( I wasn't overweight and now BMI borderline underweight). Just got latest test result and my score has risen 4 points to 47. V worried because can't afford to lose more weight and kept strictly to diet. Anyone else had this experience. Dr just told me to come back for another test in a year.

• Hug
Reactions: filly
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm a new member. 65 next week. Diagnosed with prediabetes score of 43 last year. Went on a low carb diet in Jan for 3 months and stuck to it absolutely rigourously. Score has however gone up to 47. I'm now bordering on underweight ( 7 stone 6). I also increased my exercise, in particular built up my muscle strength. The only advice I can get is follow a low fat diet and I've done that to the letter. Would welcome any ideas. ,( Dr not particularly interested- don't know if that's good news or not!)

(Moderator note: This post has been moved from the Introduce Yourself thread in the Greetings and Introduction forum so as to keep the discussion of @Jackie 59 St A 's issues all in one thread. )

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What does your protein intake look like? I'm on very strict low carb (less than 25g carbs a day), have just come off most of my diabetes meds, and have seen my blood glucose levels nudge up. One interesting patern I'm seeing on CGM is the initial rise after eating a meal and then another one at around 2.5-3 hours, which indicates that my body might be turning excess protein into blood glucose. There seem to be different schools of thought around protein consumption in diabetics - some say that recommended 0.6g per kg of your weight is more than plenty, others say that 1 - 1.5g might be more like it. I've been eating around 1g per kg of body weight. Will see if reducing this helps.

Edit: added my CGM graph from today. Dawn phenomenon in the morning. Had my first meal of the day 12:15, the initial rise started to level off around 14:30, but then decided to keep going. Lunch was 7g carbs, 57g protein, and 47g fat.

Last edited:

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another attempt to add my CGM graph. Editing post seemed to add attachment link without showing picture.
751271470.jpg

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm a new member. 65 next week. Diagnosed with prediabetes score of 43 last year. Went on a low carb diet in Jan for 3 months and stuck to it absolutely rigourously. Score has however gone up to 47. I'm now bordering on underweight ( 7 stone 6). I also increased my exercise, in particular built up my muscle strength. The only advice I can get is follow a low fat diet and I've done that to the letter. Would welcome any ideas. ,( Dr not particularly interested- don't know if that's good news or not!)
When you say you followed the diet for three months, does that mean it ended and you went back to regular eating? Because low carbing is a for-keeps thing, not something to do temporarily as a quick fix.... Because, alas, it doesn't work that way. (If only...).

(Moderator note: This post has been moved from the Introduce Yourself thread in the Greetings and Introduction forum so as to keep the discussion of @Jackie 59 St A 's issues all in one thread. )

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just wanting to send you a welcome to the forums @Jackie 59 St A . I'm probably not the right person to comment (long term T1 so no prediabetes experience) but suspecting that your doctor won't be interested until or unless your levels go up to the diabetes range. Did you tell them about the weight loss?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a diagnosis of prediabetes ( score 43) a year ago. This Jan went on v strict low carb, high fat diet. No cheating at all. Also increased muscle building exercise and some cardio. Have built a lot of muscle strength. Lost a stone in 3 months ( I wasn't overweight and now BMI borderline underweight). Just got latest test result and my score has risen 4 points to 47. V worried because can't afford to lose more weight and kept strictly to diet. Anyone else had this experience. Dr just told me to come back for another test in a year.
Going over your posts again.... You mention both low carb and low fat. Can you let us know what you're eating and drinking on a daily basis now? Because a low carb diet is usually higher in (healthy) fats and would likely get your blood sugars in a good place, and a low fat diet is usually higher in carbs, which could explain your higher HbA1c.

Not being nosy, just trying to help. ;)
Jo

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieM